PDA

View Full Version : Are all 1" to 1 1/8" shims created equal?

icepick_trotsky
01-20-2017, 02:49 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a shim for a 1" threadless steer tube and just wondering if there is a favorite.

Is a shim a shim, or are some better than others? This is for a Thomson X4 if that matters.

AngryScientist
01-20-2017, 02:50 PM
i have used a bunch in the past and seen no discernible difference between the various ones i've used.

eBAUMANN
01-20-2017, 03:04 PM
a shim is a shim.

that said, it is nice to have the shim match or be slightly shorter than the stack height of your stem.

bluesea
01-20-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a shim for a 1" threadless steer tube and just wondering if there is a favorite.

Is a shim a shim, or are some better than others? This is for a Thomson X4 if that matters.

Aren't Thomson X4 stems/shims of shorter stack height than the currently common 40mm +/-? IIRC I needed to order the Thomson because the "normal" shim (too high) and one for an early 2k Deda shim (too low), both did not fit. The former stuck out the top, the latter did not cover enough surface area to satisfy my concerns for structural integrity. Look for the Thomson that has the right height.

jtbadge
01-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Aren't Thomson X4 stems/shims of shorter stack height than the currently common 40mm +/-? IIRC I needed to order the Thomson because the "normal" shim (too high) and one for an early 2k Deda shim (too low), both did not fit. The former stuck out the top, the latter did not cover enough surface area to satisfy my concerns for structural integrity. Look for the Thomson that has the right height.

Their website shows the X4 shim as only being 37mm long.

ultraman6970
01-20-2017, 03:19 PM
My only advice is to put some carbon paste at the inside and at the outside.

mktng
01-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Only shim I had issues with were ones that came with Cinelli stems I purchased.

In terms of stack height. I've cut off excess shim before. With no issues. So if its too big of a shim, just measure what you don't need and chop it off.

icepick_trotsky
01-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Only shim I had issues with were ones that came with Cinelli stems I purchased.

In terms of stack height. I've cut off excess shim before. With no issues. So if its too big of a shim, just measure what you don't need and chop it off.

With what?

stien
01-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Hacksaw. It's typically soft aluminum.

Dead Man
01-20-2017, 05:07 PM
I once used a piece of curled up plastic I cut from a SRAM chain box... worked for months on me Klein before I finally remembered to order a proper shim for it

ultraman6970
01-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Done something similar aswell, as long as the material do not lose its integrity it can be used, like for example chinise food soup containers and put carbon paste just in case.

I once used a piece of curled up plastic I cut from a SRAM chain box... worked for months on me Klein before I finally remembered to order a proper shim for it