PDA

View Full Version : smart trainer keeps failing calibration?

AngryScientist
01-20-2017, 09:04 AM
i tried to do a spindown calibration on my tacx vortex smart last night and it continually fails.

any idea why this might be? i tried using the tacx utility app and also trainer roads app.

i think i might actually need to get a trainer tire to eliminate some of the slip at the roller? i'm using an old worn out tire and hear a whole lot of squeaking when i really crank up the power, so i think there may be a fair amount of slip with the old hardened rubber tire.

any other ideas?

Bwana
01-20-2017, 09:14 AM
I was surprised how tight I had to crank the roller, are you sure it's tight enough against the tire?

AngryScientist
01-20-2017, 09:19 AM
I was surprised how tight I had to crank the roller, are you sure it's tight enough against the tire?

i'll have to check that out tonight, thanks.

i just ordered a tacx trainer tire too, so that should show up next week and hopefully help.

Bwana
01-20-2017, 09:42 AM
What does the Tacx app/Trainer Road say when it fails?

AngryScientist
01-20-2017, 09:43 AM
What does the Tacx app/Trainer Road say when it fails?

"unable to complete calibration, try again" or something very similar.

JasonF
01-20-2017, 10:00 AM
My Kickr will fail to complete a spindown calibration if there's a competing app running in the background.

For example, I must pause a TrainerRoad workout before going into the Kickr utility to do a spindown. Maybe try to force quit all other apps and then give it a go.

DfCas
01-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Did you use the Tacx utility App or the cycling App? They are different.

You should use the Tacx cycling ap to calibrate. On IOS the icon comes up in the bottom right corner, then says pedal up to 40KPH, then it says stop, then it says pedal, and a graph appears.

AngryScientist
01-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Did you use the Tacx utility App or the cycling App? They are different.

You should use the Tacx cycling ap to calibrate. On IOS the icon comes up in the bottom right corner, then says pedal up to 40KPH, then it says stop, then it says pedal, and a graph appears.

interesting. i'll give that a go tonight. and force kill all the other apps too.

thanks for the tips guys.

DfCas
01-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Note that if you have not yet used the Cycling App youll need to pair the trainer with your tablet before you can calibrate it.

I have a Bushido smart and I can tell you those watts are hard to come by. It must be reading low :)

onekgguy
01-20-2017, 06:35 PM
I'm curious -- do you need to ride for a set period of time before doing the spin-down calibration to allow the tire to warm up to operating temperature? It's part of the program with my CompuTrainer. I have to ride for 10 minutes before the program will allow me to calibrate it.

Kevin g

LJohnny
01-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Yes, I always ride about 10-15 mins before attempting to calibrate.

I also think that the Bushido underestimates the watts. It is like pedaling with a squirrel attached to your rear hub, or your brake pads rubbing and slowing you down.

stephenmarklay
01-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Tire slipping may be the issue. I would increase the tension and clean the tire well with rubbing alcohol. I found increasing tire pressure helped also.

I had tons of issues getting a different one to calibrate but no longer do.

DfCas
01-20-2017, 08:33 PM
It is not required to warm up a vortex smart before calibration. However, a warmup will result in a slightly different watt reading.

shovelhd
01-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Yes, I always ride about 10-15 mins before attempting to calibrate.

I also think that the Bushido underestimates the watts. It is like pedaling with a squirrel attached to your rear hub, or your brake pads rubbing and slowing you down.

I noticed this on mine as well. I don't need it to be accurate though.

ultraman6970
01-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Did you try tuning on and off again? :)

DfCas
01-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Well, did you get it calibrated?

AngryScientist
01-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Well, did you get it calibrated?

haven't tried again yet. i ordered a tacx trainer tire which should get delivered this week. i figured i'd wait until i eliminated at least that variable before trying again.

shovelhd
01-22-2017, 03:53 PM
It's a good trainer tire. Wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol first to get the mold release off. Once it breaks in, it sticks well.

DfCas
01-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Theres little to no resistance during a calibration spindown so a new tire won't matter.