PDA

View Full Version : OT Director of a Mobile Media Distribution Center

cnighbor1
01-19-2017, 12:49 PM
OT Director of a Mobile Media Distribution Center
While out in the pouring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at Rossmoor Walnut Creek driving and walking a lot (over 6 miles) delivering the Rossmoor News weekly newspaper I reflected on how long I been delivering newspaper
when living in Detroit I took over a route my brother had in 1952 20 papers and a daily. After school I would get on my Schwinn fat tire ride to newspaper station Get my 20 papers and fold them, stuff into the canvas paper bag, hop on the bicycle and deliver them. than once a week collect for them My brother got a bigger rout 50 papers which I took over along with now 15 papers on the other route I did that for about two years till I moved to another part of Detroit
Many times in winter it snowed and I used the snow sled to haul the papers
Than fast forward to 1980's Married and with two young daughters we got a route on Mercer Island About 100 papers Had to be at front door by 7am So it was up at 6am Get the papers and drive the route than the younger daughter got a route so more driving and delivering and collecting (but once a month)
did those routes till we moved to Walnut Creek, CA Than my younger daughter friend gave up her Rossmoor route which we took over. 425 papers weekly paper We did that route for her thru HS and college and beyond than I took it overs got a more few papers to deliver, 525, and been doing for at least 5 years
the older daughter husband was not working so we got him a route 525 papers
he would take a train in from Stockton CA to Martinez CA where I meet him and off to Rossmoor we would go. Now I do only my route and once in a while we fill in for other carriers. Like yesterday in the driving rain and cold 475 extra papers
about a 8 hour day with both daughters and wife helping
Now 80 and still at newspaper game
will I go another 10
I get about $6000 out of my route is one reason I keep at it
Plus walking is good when all I do is ride and I need some weight bearing exercise

HenryA
01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Interesting story!
Walking is good for you for sure.
Keep it up.

rnhood
01-20-2017, 04:29 AM
Well done, and a nice story.