PDA

View Full Version : living in a truck or van?

jimcav
01-19-2017, 10:06 AM
i am considering a job about 4 hrs away, with flex schedule to allow 4 days on, 3 off (so will see family). since retiring i've had the seats out of the minivan so was thinking about throwing my tempurpedic travel/camp pads (have 2 i can stack) to cut costs of hotels or rental. my work would be on a military base where i can access the gym for showers, and will have a break room with fridge and microwave. I've been googling blogs about truck camping etc but wondered if anyone here had done it and could share their experience?

54ny77
01-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Sure!

http://ib2.huluim.com/video/4955553?region=US&size=600x400

chiasticon
01-19-2017, 10:12 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/LjEzFtxVHBj2g/giphy.gif

edit: lol. beat to the punch while posting!

Tickdoc
01-19-2017, 10:18 AM
i am considering a job about 4 hrs away, with flex schedule to allow 4 days on, 3 off (so will see family). since retiring i've had the seats out of the minivan so was thinking about throwing my tempurpedic travel/camp pads (have 2 i can stack) to cut costs of hotels or rental. my work would be on a military base where i can access the gym for showers, and will have a break room with fridge and microwave. I've been googling blogs about truck camping etc but wondered if anyone here had done it and could share their experience?

No on base housing?
If not an option, I have heard they have the nicest rv park areas around. Could be easy to buy something small and cheap and just leave (and live) on base.

AngryScientist
01-19-2017, 10:21 AM
jim, it's probably a terrible idea for the situation you describe.

i've got the microcamper and am at home living in small spaces, but camping and bumming around are totally different than working a job with a set schedule and responsibilities.

it may not even be legal/allowed, depending on where you are planning on parking.

you'd also be known pretty quickly as the guy who lives in his van and showers at the gym.

people who brush their teeth in public bathrooms are creepy.

don't do it man.

wpod
01-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Did it while commuting from Utah to Silicon Valley during dot com boom for +/- six months while figuring out where to buy( ended up in Felton ).

Having gym facilities( shower, pool etc )along with a kitchen option for making healthier eating makes the experience totally doable. That and if your a contractor you can fully apply yourself and generate significant billable hours- as not much else to occupy your time other then work, sleep, eat and exercise.

Plus should you ever feel the urge for the occasional traditional hotel/motel trappings it's easy to justify:-)

jimcav
01-19-2017, 10:35 AM
No on base housing?
If not an option, I have heard they have the nicest rv park areas around. Could be easy to buy something small and cheap and just leave (and live) on base.

but $60/night, and space available---i can't book it long term; there is a nice RV park, but typically 30 days reservations, max at 180--so that could work--i need to learn more about small truck campers and the RV fee (always wanted a truck so this may be my justification--but the van is long paid for and has been reliable). i don't even know the tow rating but our freestar has a 2 inch receiver and the wiring harness to tow so maybe a small camper i can just leave at the RV spot. it will be super hot in summer, so i need to research how to keep a small camper cool!

45K10
01-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Where is this at? A van can get really cold better off with a tent and going car camping somewhere. Most tent sites are like $20/day

chiasticon
01-19-2017, 10:44 AM
is there a local KOA? you could get one of the tent camping sites for very cheap, especially if you're a member. then just park your van in the spot to sleep, plus you can shower and such there as well.

bking
01-19-2017, 10:57 AM
maybe look around for someone with a room to rent, back of house etc. Not impossible for a few hundred a month, and you have a real roof.

azrider
01-19-2017, 11:00 AM
My little sister and her boyfriend live out of a van roughly 4-5 months out of the year. They're just pissed they didn't start doing it earlier (she's 30)

They even started their own company so others could 'try it out'

I say do it and don't look back

http://www.roamrentals.com/

http://www.roamrentals.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/roam-van4.png

http://i1.ypcdn.com/blob/83298dd0e026a8853b6fc12805705227f78fcc69_500.jpg

azrider
01-19-2017, 11:44 AM
I should also add that we do a family vacation to Central Oregon each year with the wife's side of the family using the whole fleet of vans from Roam Rentals (12 adults, 8 kids). We look forward to it every year and love the lifestyle. Even my brother in law who is a hotel/resort kinda guy adapts and loves it. AS LONG AS YOU'RE PREPARED. Preparation is key for this type of endeavor, but as long as you are setup well, then success is sure to come.

For your application I think a fold-able sleeping platform for the back of the Mini-Van would work perfect. I bought a 'weekender' overland/camping truck and built a sleep platform that'll allow me to drive straight to a campsite/remote area and just unfold platform and crash in the back. I plan on making separate storage cubby holes below and just put the camping/overnight gear in one of the holes that way me and my boy can just hop in and go if we want to. Wife took it to the grocery store the other day and she said that the platform actually created MORE 'usable' space and made her errands easier.

best of luck.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 11:52 AM
i wonder if i can add a pop up to my minivan?
jim
I should also add that we do a family vacation to Central Oregon each year with the wife's side of the family using the whole fleet of vans from Roam Rentals (12 adults, 8 kids). We look forward to it every year and love the lifestyle. Even my brother in law who is a hotel/resort kinda guy adapts and loves it. AS LONG AS YOU'RE PREPARED. Preparation is key for this type of endeavor, but as long as you are setup well, then success is sure to come.

For your application I think a fold-able sleeping platform for the back of the Mini-Van would work perfect. I bought a 'weekender' overland/camping truck and built a sleep platform that'll allow me to drive straight to a campsite/remote area and just unfold platform and crash in the back. I plan on making separate storage cubby holes below and just put the camping/overnight gear in one of the holes that way me and my boy can just hop in and go if we want to. Wife took it to the grocery store the other day and she said that the platform actually created MORE 'usable' space and made her errands easier.

best of luck.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Where is this at? A van can get really cold better off with a tent and going car camping somewhere. Most tent sites are like $20/day

not that far from death valley. i have the 2 pads, very comfy and a great old down snow lion sleeping bag i've had since i was a kid. the summer heat worries me more

the base has nice facilities so i can work out and shower before work, so it would be far easier to sleep in the van or truck, vs drive off to some campground nightly. For a break i might tent camp now and then as there are some cool camp sites on the way to the kern river valley area...and trona pinnacles is near too

azrider
01-19-2017, 11:56 AM
i wonder if i can add a pop up to my minivan?
jim

that price starts to skyrocket quickly when you consider removal of ceiling, fabricating pop up to fit, etc

mg2ride
01-19-2017, 12:00 PM
I have worked with base security in the past and you will not be allowed to sleep in the van on base. You certainly might be able to get away with it for a while but you may be risking your position doing it.

Assuming you can find a safe, legal place to sleep, it is doable but why in the hell would you want to.

If you are that broke maybe stand on a street corner holding a sign. Otherwise rent a room somewhere like decent, normal people do.

azrider
01-19-2017, 12:07 PM
If you are that broke maybe stand on a street corner holding a sign. Otherwise rent a room somewhere like decent, normal people do.

ha....that's a pretty asinine statement.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 12:18 PM
I have worked with base security in the past and you will not be allowed to sleep in the van on base. You certainly might be able to get away with it for a while but you may be risking your position doing it.

Assuming you can find a safe, legal place to sleep, it is doable but why in the hell would you want to.

but it seems a waste of money when all i need is a place to sleep. I commuted by bike to work from 9/11 until my hip issues in late 2011--5 of those years were 50 miles a day, so i was used to showering at the base gym or just wiping down with rubbing alcohol if time was too short. the base has nice RV area i can park and sleep for 15/day or /98 a week, which is what made me think about it.

Dave B
01-19-2017, 12:19 PM
I like the idea of living minimally. My thoughts begin to shift when you yourself start to feel run down. I am thinking stomach issues where the bathroom is going to be your friend...and privacy.

I would think after time if you have a long or horrible day, coming home to your minivan might also affect your mood our outlook.

Just things that jumped to the front of my thoughts. Do i think it would be fun and crazy and make for some good stories...sure, but the little things that i enjoy about my home would cause me to want at least a seedy hotel room.

Best of luck pal, it sounds adventurous, maybe alter the adventure a bit.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 12:26 PM
I like the idea of living minimally. My thoughts begin to shift when you yourself start to feel run down. I am thinking stomach issues where the bathroom is going to be your friend...and privacy.

I would think after time if you have a long or horrible day, coming home to your minivan might also affect your mood our outlook.

Just things that jumped to the front of my thoughts. Do i think it would be fun and crazy and make for some good stories...sure, but the little things that i enjoy about my home would cause me to want at least a seedy hotel room.

Best of luck pal, it sounds adventurous, maybe alter the adventure a bit.
I always will have the option of a room on base if available, the base RV park has a little community enter with bathroom and shower, and of course off base there are econolodge/holiday inn types etc.

BTW, sorry i didn't link up with you but between the horrible weather, my pinched nerve, working on my old 1890 house, and my mom getting sick, i was just spread too thin. i go 2 ride in at Ft Ben the 1st 3 days i was home and that was it

false_Aest
01-19-2017, 12:34 PM
If I were single or had a more adventurous girlfriend I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm in my 30s and in the bike industry. I spend $7-8k on my half of the rent every year (and that's a cheap place in Los Angeles). I'd be ok with not spending that money.

DO IT!

mg2ride
01-19-2017, 12:39 PM
but it seems a waste of money when all i need is a place to sleep. I commuted by bike to work from 9/11 until my hip issues in late 2011--5 of those years were 50 miles a day, so i was used to showering at the base gym or just wiping down with rubbing alcohol if time was too short. the base has nice RV area i can park and sleep for 15/day or /98 a week, which is what made me think about it.

The idea of living out a van seems absolutely crazy to me but we are all different. At very least I would NEED a separate space for living and driving. Having to pack up camp every time I leave just seems like a night mare.

Regardless of what I think, check with the campground in question. Having single (or even family) military living on campsites is become more prevalent in Tidewater MWR campsites. Most camp sites have usage restriction that would limit how often you are able to use it. Some bases locally will make exceptions for young service members but I would be surprised if they would make an exception for a non service member.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 12:40 PM
If I were single or had a more adventurous girlfriend I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm in my 30s and in the bike industry. I spend $7-8k on my half of the rent every year (and that's a cheap place in Los Angeles). I'd be ok with not spending that money.

DO IT!

i am really hopeful on gettign the job, as I truly am looking forward to the adventure of it--being with myself, enjoying the drive up there (maybe buy sirius and listen to bluegrass, which i love but my family do NOT) and minimizing expenses--all sort of focused on saving more now; true retirement a little earlier hopefully; getting into night riding, finding good mtb trails along the drive to break it up; and greater appreciation for the 3 days i have with my boys each week.

Dave B
01-19-2017, 12:40 PM
I always will have the option of a room on base if available, the base RV park has a little community enter with bathroom and shower, and of course off base there are econolodge/holiday inn types etc.

BTW, sorry i didn't link up with you but between the horrible weather, my pinched nerve, working on my old 1890 house, and my mom getting sick, i was just spread too thin. i go 2 ride in at Ft Ben the 1st 3 days i was home and that was it

Brother don't sweat it. I am not going anywhere unless I win the lottery or teaching all of a sudden pays like the MLB, NBA, or NFL. So yeah I'll be stuck in Fishers for some time.

You let me know when you are local and we can go for a road or mtb ride. Found a cool doughnut shop in pendelton that does some wicked cool stuff. Good times.

batman1425
01-19-2017, 12:44 PM
For me, I'd only see that as a short term solution. Living out of a van is going to get old after a few months - especially if the weather is at all unpredictable or crappy. For few weeks or a month, sure - knock it out, get it done on the cheap. For an extended situation, I want a dry, insulated, warm place I can stand up in to get dressed after I wake up in the morning. For long term - it would wear on me to the point that it would start affecting my performance at work.

AngryScientist
01-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Jim.

Screw it. Build yourself a microcamper, and the world is your oyster!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J_RfTYG7Sl0/VZMvznoTLkI/AAAAAAAACGo/Or20nA9bvwM/s1140/P1080486.JPG

gdw
01-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Try it and see if you like it. If you're not comfortable there are other fallback options.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Jim.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J_RfTYG7Sl0/VZMvznoTLkI/AAAAAAAACGo/Or20nA9bvwM/s1140/P1080486.JPG
i know i can put such a camper in the RV spot on base--not sure i will have time to build one, but i think the outdoor rec cneter on the base there actually rents such things--so i could trial it and maybe build one while there. I'd work a 10 hour day, but would have some time to do it if they'd let me keep it there a i built it (between going home) for 3 days each week.

45K10
01-19-2017, 01:01 PM
not that far from death valley. i have the 2 pads, very comfy and a great old down snow lion sleeping bag i've had since i was a kid. the summer heat worries me more

the base has nice facilities so i can work out and shower before work, so it would be far easier to sleep in the van or truck, vs drive off to some campground nightly. For a break i might tent camp now and then as there are some cool camp sites on the way to the kern river valley area...and trona pinnacles is near too

I gotcha, if it is where I think it is I was stationed there for a year about 20 years ago. Yep, it is a long way from no-where and I used to drive in everyday. I think you can make it work. Nobody is going to care if you live in a van or not.
Good Luck!

jimcav
01-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Brother don't sweat it. I am not going anywhere unless I win the lottery or teaching all of a sudden pays like the MLB, NBA, or NFL. So yeah I'll be stuck in Fishers for some time.

You let me know when you are local and we can go for a road or mtb ride. Found a cool doughnut shop in pendelton that does some wicked cool stuff. Good times.

having escaped IN at 18, i get it, but there is indian food now! (india sizzling--best) and for the last 3 years i've driven home, then on to the in-laws in MD. there are more beautiful places, but many, many that are so much worse. of course i couldn't hack being a teacher. my best friend is a NHS teacher and I think he gets energy and enthusiasm from it, but i think it would do the opposite to me...

azrider
01-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Jim.

"If you are that broke maybe stand on a street corner holding a sign. Otherwise rent a room somewhere like decent, normal people do."

AngryScientist
01-19-2017, 01:03 PM
"If you are that broke maybe stand on a street corner holding a sign. Otherwise rent a room somewhere like decent, normal people do."

huh? i thought you liked camping??

jimcav
01-19-2017, 01:05 PM
I gotcha, if it is where I think it is I was stationed there for a year about 20 years ago. Yep, it is a long way from no-where and I used to drive in everyday. I think you can make it work. Nobody is going to care if you live in a van or not.
Good Luck!

yeah ridgecrest CA is not near much, but i like both the desert and proximity to yosemite and mtns.

anyway, i thank all for the constructive comments and encouragement. i may not hear for months on the job, but enjoy planning and thinking about it

azrider
01-19-2017, 01:07 PM

huh? i thought you liked camping??

I was quoting

I totally dig camping. So does the wife and 3 year old. Just hope our 8 week daughter will join in the fun.

That micro camper you posted (is it yours?) is LEGIT. We slept in a teardrop camper last summer on a camping trip and absolutely loved it.

yngpunk
01-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Used to see people living out of their cars/vans parked on the street in Mission Bay area for SF. Internet abounds with stories of people living out of their cars while working in Silicon Valley since they couldn't afford a place to live.

azrider
01-19-2017, 01:13 PM
This makes me alllll warm and fuzzy inside......

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/74/6f/d2/746fd2b8f2608b1af38fdc8bdfa4ab0a.jpg

mhespenheide
01-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Jim,

I'm a high school teacher, backpacker, and photographer (and cyclist and runner...). I was lucky enough to get a sabbatical away from teaching in '06-'07 and did a six-month road trip across the west in my Subaru, with only 4-5 nights indoors. After moving to Seattle a number of years later, I upgraded to a mini-van and love it for camping. I'm now based out of CA and can camp almost anywhere, bring the bike in the back, and enjoy sunrise and sunset over different landscapes.

It's very do-able, but easier in a lot of ways if you're traveling than in just one place. That said, new stories of people living in a storage unit or in a panel van (particularly in the SF Bay Area...) pop up and go viral with some regularity. There's now a decent community of #vanlife outdoorsy people online, especially with that instagram tag. As the costs of rent and housing have skyrocketed in the desirable cities of the west, it seems natural to me that at least some people have consciously opted out of that.

If it were me, I'd almost certainly do it. Ask around first to see if it's okay and socially acceptable; see if you can find anyone else already doing it. I'd probably start with the minivan you already own, then see if you can stretch to a full-size van with more clearance -- if I were anywhere near Death Valley, I'd want to be able to explore some of the fantastic dirt roads nearby.

mhespenheide
01-19-2017, 01:37 PM
So...

Paceline meetup this summer, camping in the Eastern Sierras, Southern Oregon, or similar?

thegunner
01-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Used to see people living out of their cars/vans parked on the street in Mission Bay area for SF. Internet abounds with stories of people living out of their cars while working in Silicon Valley since they couldn't afford a place to live.

there were definitely news articles written about people at my company doing this in the parking logs (very much illegal), it seems to be okay if you otherwise have the amenities and just use the car for sleeping.

p nut
01-19-2017, 02:40 PM
I haven't read through all replies, but I would totally do this in a heart beat. There are so many blogs/sites that have instructions on every imaginable set ups, it would be easy to get some great ideas and help.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/van-dwelling-mini-van-getting-started/#

http://tinyhousetalk.com/dodge-grand-caravan-minivan-camper/

http://www.nomadswithavan.com/tour-red-delicious/

There are some very nice (read: expensive) set ups that would be great, but I think just a mattress thrown in the back with a stove and ice box would keep it simple and easy (read: cheap). You can at least try it this way with minimal cost out of pocket to make sure it will work.

I love how inconspicuous a minivan is, and with curtains all around, it would make a great stealth camper. Stop in at a Walmart if you don't want to pay camp fees. Camp in the city, camp out in the woods--it's like an adventure every day.

01-19-2017, 05:34 PM
This is Ridgecrest, i.e., China Lake? Ungodly freezing cold in the winter and 125 all afternoon in the summer. You might think about that. I spent a lot of time there a very few years ago.

My first reaction was ... don't do it. But military bases are different, folks, and all kinds of things go there that wouldn't be acceptable or safe elsewhere. So in principle I wouldn't advise you not to.

But, ... this is Ridgecrest: You really won't like the weather extremes, or the blowing dust storms, or the degree to which ants, scorpions, centipedes, and other things find their way into your car if you're living in it. Ridgecrest is very cheap and we had engineers getting half a house in Ridgecrest or Inyokern for under $200 a month. The post is gradually downsizing and most people have nowhere to go. You could probably, for six months, find someone with a house who would lease you a bedroom and even a bath. And for not much more than the RV park fees on the base.

Oddly enough, as cheap as housing is in the area, food isn't. It all has to be dragged up from Los Angeles or San Bernardino. And fast food is the same price as anywhere, or even a bit more. So having a kitchen can save you as much as you'd save by living in your van.

I've driven past the RV camp in the base. It's not crime prone and pretty secure, and a nice mix of people living there. In other words, not a slum per se. But most of the people there have RVs or trailers with air conditioning and heating and toilets and the other amenities you won't have in your van.

If you get the job, there are great MTB rides up the roads into the BLM lands into the Mojave mountains to the west. And the paved road rides aren't bad on a road bike either. Ridgecrest has a couple good bike shops. There's a sushi restaurant that's half good that does all you can eat for $19 as of 8 or 9 pm. Be sure to have arm and leg SPF sleeves and a cap under your helmet. It's virtually adjacent to Death Valley, if that gives you any idea.

Hope this helps. Actually been there. Local conditions prevail.

Seramount
01-19-2017, 06:14 PM
for me, not being able to stand in my living space is a deal-killer. trying to live in a van would be helllish...maybe worse.

smallest thing I'd consider is an Airstream-type trailer.

weaponsgrade
01-19-2017, 06:38 PM
I'd say go for it. Many years ago I took a month long cross-country trip in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I rotated sleeping in the back, tent, and cheap motels. One of the best times of my life. Granted, this is different from what you're proposing, but if you've got nothing to lose, why not try it out? My brother works with a guy who on his work days lives in a boat near work and then travels back to his land-based house on his days off.

Climb01742
01-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Inyokern is, as 11.4 said, a place of extremes. I've been on long-ish shoots there and even in hotels it isn't the easiest, most pleasant place to be (except for the two hours a day when Magic Light is in full effect at the airstrip.) Love to shoot there, hate to be there.

On the one hand, I'd say go for van life. All sorts of smaller, alternative living situations are out there and can make sense. But on the other hand, be sure the location is workable for you. Inyokern has a tough climate. Whatever you decide, all the best.

Louis
01-19-2017, 07:03 PM
yeah ridgecrest CA is not near much, but i like both the desert and proximity to yosemite and mtns.

This is all you need to know just about everything for the area. Of all the places I've been it was IMO one of the least livable.

But the NAWS activity center did "rent" me an MTB for free and gave me a water bottle from an LBS, so that was cool. But I'd hate to have to stay there for more than two weeks.

John H.
01-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Uncle Rico.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 07:08 PM
I started this idea thinking about RV, but had no idea they cost so much. And for those who say "living" out of a van--i will basically just sleep in it. I will work a long day and then hit the gym/pool, or a hike, or a ride, or maybe the community center. After 3-4 days i will be driving home, 3 days later repeat. It may get old, but so do jobs i neither love nor feel particularly valued at...making a little more i can hopefully do it less.

This is Ridgecrest, i.e., China Lake? Ungodly freezing cold in the winter and 125 all afternoon in the summer. You might think about that. I spent a lot of time there a very few years ago.

My first reaction was ... don't do it. But military bases are different, folks, and all kinds of things go there that wouldn't be acceptable or safe elsewhere. So in principle I wouldn't advise you not to.

But, ... this is Ridgecrest: You really won't like the weather extremes, or the blowing dust storms, or the degree to which ants, scorpions, centipedes, and other things find their way into your car if you're living in it. Ridgecrest is very cheap and we had engineers getting half a house in Ridgecrest or Inyokern for under $200 a month. The post is gradually downsizing and most people have nowhere to go. You could probably, for six months, find someone with a house who would lease you a bedroom and even a bath. And for not much more than the RV park fees on the base.

Oddly enough, as cheap as housing is in the area, food isn't. It all has to be dragged up from Los Angeles or San Bernardino. And fast food is the same price as anywhere, or even a bit more. So having a kitchen can save you as much as you'd save by living in your van.

I've driven past the RV camp in the base. It's not crime prone and pretty secure, and a nice mix of people living there. In other words, not a slum per se. But most of the people there have RVs or trailers with air conditioning and heating and toilets and the other amenities you won't have in your van.

If you get the job, there are great MTB rides up the roads into the BLM lands into the Mojave mountains to the west. And the paved road rides aren't bad on a road bike either. Ridgecrest has a couple good bike shops. There's a sushi restaurant that's half good that does all you can eat for $19 as of 8 or 9 pm. Be sure to have arm and leg SPF sleeves and a cap under your helmet. It's virtually adjacent to Death Valley, if that gives you any idea.

Hope this helps. Actually been there. Local conditions prevail.

PeregrineA1
01-19-2017, 08:32 PM
I know about this.....

I spent the better(?) part of two years in 22' trailer in the So Cal desert, Florida, and North Carolina. The adventure was fun for the first maybe 6-8 months. Really just OK for the next 3-4 and then it got cold in NC. I got an apartment.

This was all chasing Milcon work around the country. Except for Florida (2 months) I could escape to conventional housing on the weekend.

The desert portion was OK when Wx allowed for outdoor activities. Spring and Fall maybe 50% of the time. Wind limited generally. Summer = heat...too much. Winter brought cold and wind (more anon).

Currently we have projects at NAWSCL. We have had 4 productive days since 12-20 due to holidays and Wx. Wind and rain stop construction.

Our QC guy rents a decent house in town for $500/month.

I've done some road and MTB riding. Road is decent, but limited routes if you want ride without driving. MTB is good. Riding is at night June to Mid-September.

It is a unique place....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William
01-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Epic Surfers Camper Van With Dashboard Herb Garden:
This is an incredible camper van conversion that you need to see! What started as an ex-ambulance has turned into a stunning home on wheels, with room for the surf-boards and even a small herb garden in the dashboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQFkeSeWkzo

Epic 4x4 Survival Expedition Van / Home On Wheels:
This van is a wonderful example of great small space design! It's a comfortable space for living, but still can be taken to the most adventurous of locations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHayhsnJ0k

William

mhespenheide
01-19-2017, 09:41 PM
This is Ridgecrest, i.e., China Lake?
Ridgecrest is very cheap and we had engineers getting half a house in Ridgecrest or Inyokern for under $200 a month. The post is gradually downsizing and most people have nowhere to go. You could probably, for six months, find someone with a house who would lease you a bedroom and even a bath. And for not much more than the RV park fees on the base.

Well, heck. If that's what the local rates are, I'd change my recommendation and try to find a room or other shared housing. Access to a full kitchen and a place to store stuff is valuable.

Shop for food in bigger cities. Make friends with others by bringing up Trader Joe's, etc.

And if I head out to DV, I'll try to drop you a line.

carpediemracing
01-19-2017, 09:43 PM
I couldn't tell you what it's like. However there was a guy that worked at the shop back in the day that was definitely into doing whatever it took. When he was without a place to sleep for a while he slept in his van. Worked out every morning at the Y, showered, etc. He'd do stretches like 6 months at a time. If it was really bad out he just slept in the shop.

For the van he got a bunch of bike box ends (last 6" or so of the boxes), taped them together, and put them up by the window and across the front. Looked like a van full of bike boxes. Back then people didn't break your windows for that. Also he was parked in front of the shop so it looked like a shop truck/etc.

When the weather was nicer he'd sleep elsewhere. He tried to find interesting spots. There was a billboard just next to the shop - he slept up there a couple times, just to see what it was like. He said it was surprising how many people were out there.

When I was looking into making my trailer into a registration thing, I found a lot of "stealth" camper type of posts, where people converted 7x16 or so trailers into campers.

My understanding is that you can park in Walmart parking lots? Not sure if that's reality.

01-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Inyokern is, as 11.4 said, a place of extremes. I've been on long-ish shoots there and even in hotels it isn't the easiest, most pleasant place to be (except for the two hours a day when Magic Light is in full effect at the airstrip.) Love to shoot there, hate to be there.

On the one hand, I'd say go for van life. All sorts of smaller, alternative living situations are out there and can make sense. But on the other hand, be sure the location is workable for you. Inyokern has a tough climate. Whatever you decide, all the best.

The vistas of the Mojave mountains and the desert itself, plus the amazing lighting at sunrise and sunset, make for the best car ads ever. It's surprising how many of them are shot around here. Last time I was out here, about 2-1/2 years ago, Matthew McConaughey was there for almost a month shooting a series of car ads.

You're still a long way from Yosemite. The Mojave Mountains are very broad and the roads to get into the really pretty parts require a serious 4WD vehicle -- like a well-equipped Wrangler or more, not just an AWD sedan. We were blowing up pieces of desert and spent a lot of hours on those hills. Those are survival-oriented trips -- there was a very experienced ultra marathoner who went out for a run there every day and one day simply didn't come back; he was found a week later right on one of the BLM roads.

There's one decent hotel in Ridgecrest. They have photos of all the aircraft and missiles they've tested there -- gifts from the engineering teams from the various contractors who always stay there while working on the weapons. Legend is that many of the photos were actually classified at the time they went up on the wall, but nobody minded. Certainly I've had some very interesting and classified conversations in their coffee shop.

I'm not saying any of this to dissuade you from taking work there. You'll learn to drive to Palmdale to get to the nearest In-n-Out or Chipotle and to do your serious grocery shopping. I drove up from LA many times at night and it was a rare night that I didn't hit a rabbit on the highway. And you'd see swarms of snakes at night as they came out onto the asphalt to stay warm. Exciting place and truly God's country, as the saying goes. Bring bikes and ride a lot to stay sane and enjoy it. Remember there are few roads out of Ridgecrest and everybody drives at 30 mph over the speed limit on them, mostly drunk. Lots of cyclists have been hit at night there; someone told me to drive away if I hit a cyclist because the cyclist would have high blood alcohol and be a minority of one kind or another, and the police had so many hit and run cyclist fatalities that they didn't even investigate them. Just a warning.

Mostly, do think seriously about a nicer way to live than your van. The environment is not friendly.

Louis
01-19-2017, 10:51 PM
There's one decent hotel in Ridgecrest.

One time we were in town it was completely full for the first two nights, so we had to stay in what was the 2nd worst hotel I've ever been in. (The absolute worst was an equally dingy room in Lexington Park MD, but that one got last prize because it was also a smoking room, and I am not a smoker - it was horrible.) Luckily the decent hotel opened up after two nights and we cleared out of the dump.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 10:59 PM
I spent a month there TAD a few years back, but of course it was Feb! i hope to try it, and if it isn't fun i won't do it long. it isn't by necessity, just want to try, and wondered about the collective experiences here on the forum.
thanks again
jim
The vistas of the Mojave mountains and the desert itself, plus the amazing lighting at sunrise and sunset, make for the best car ads ever. It's surprising how many of them are shot around here. Last time I was out here, about 2-1/2 years ago, Matthew McConaughey was there for almost a month shooting a series of car ads.

You're still a long way from Yosemite. The Mojave Mountains are very broad and the roads to get into the really pretty parts require a serious 4WD vehicle -- like a well-equipped Wrangler or more, not just an AWD sedan. We were blowing up pieces of desert and spent a lot of hours on those hills. Those are survival-oriented trips -- there was a very experienced ultra marathoner who went out for a run there every day and one day simply didn't come back; he was found a week later right on one of the BLM roads.

There's one decent hotel in Ridgecrest. They have photos of all the aircraft and missiles they've tested there -- gifts from the engineering teams from the various contractors who always stay there while working on the weapons. Legend is that many of the photos were actually classified at the time they went up on the wall, but nobody minded. Certainly I've had some very interesting and classified conversations in their coffee shop.

I'm not saying any of this to dissuade you from taking work there. You'll learn to drive to Palmdale to get to the nearest In-n-Out or Chipotle and to do your serious grocery shopping. I drove up from LA many times at night and it was a rare night that I didn't hit a rabbit on the highway. And you'd see swarms of snakes at night as they came out onto the asphalt to stay warm. Exciting place and truly God's country, as the saying goes. Bring bikes and ride a lot to stay sane and enjoy it. Remember there are few roads out of Ridgecrest and everybody drives at 30 mph over the speed limit on them, mostly drunk. Lots of cyclists have been hit at night there; someone told me to drive away if I hit a cyclist because the cyclist would have high blood alcohol and be a minority of one kind or another, and the police had so many hit and run cyclist fatalities that they didn't even investigate them. Just a warning.

Mostly, do think seriously about a nicer way to live than your van. The environment is not friendly.

HenryA
01-19-2017, 11:14 PM
A camper of some kind seems like it might be a business expense? Tax considerations might make buying something that you leave in a campground more appealing. Converting a box trailer to a camper is pretty popular these days. Or you could buy a big van (one that qualifies under the tax code and then build it out) and accelerate the depreciation under §179? I'd work all the legit angles on this.

jimcav
01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
A camper of some kind seems like it might be a business expense? Tax considerations might make buying something that you leave in a campground more appealing. Converting a box trailer to a camper is pretty popular these days. Or you could buy a big van (one that qualifies under the tax code and then build it out) and accelerate the depreciation under §179? I'd work all the legit angles on this.

i don't know much about such deductions but will research it if i get the job!

hokoman
01-20-2017, 05:20 AM
I have wanted a sprinter based rv forever - my cpa says it can be considered a second residence. I would get a used roadtrek agile (smallest one) set up the longest payment plan on it (cheapest) and if you hate it down the road, just sell it. They are expensive, but hold their value incredibly well. Bathroom, stove, kitchen, tv, tons of storage. Mpg is pretty good too if you have a light foot and hwy miles (20ish)...

For me, and you might be different, I think after a couple days of working, there might be a night you just want to unwind and relax in a comfortable space. I follow a ton of van conversion instagram accounts and belong to forums, and for a quick weekend camping outing they look great, but week after week, I think it would get old. Just my opinion... you only live once, be comfortable!

I know, you can prob rent a room for less than a sprinter conversion, but you can't take that room anywhere!

oldpotatoe
01-20-2017, 05:31 AM

ChinaLake..flown in and around there many times when stationed at Pt Mugu(VX-4). Nice little town, high desert.

Who you working for? A squadron? Lots of USN test stuff there.

stephenmarklay
01-20-2017, 06:05 AM
My little sister and her boyfriend live out of a van roughly 4-5 months out of the year. They're just pissed they didn't start doing it earlier (she's 30)

They even started their own company so others could 'try it out'

I say do it and don't look back

http://www.roamrentals.com/

http://www.roamrentals.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/roam-van4.png

http://i1.ypcdn.com/blob/83298dd0e026a8853b6fc12805705227f78fcc69_500.jpg

I am just the kind of guy that would do that. I bet I could even convince my wife for a few months out of the year but with a coupe of kids in the house I don’t think that is happening :)

stephenmarklay
01-20-2017, 06:16 AM
Actually, I did this for a brief period. I think it was about 6 weeks or so. I too was working on a base that had a gym.

I found campground close by and road my bike to work. Nobody was the wiser.

I actually loved it :)

Climb01742
01-20-2017, 06:23 AM

Bingo. That's why I was there, shooting car spots. It's the light, the horizon, and the length of the airstrip. Thing is, you wake up insanely early, prep for dawn magic hour, then do nothing until mad dash to prep and shoot at sunset magic hour...then go drink. One shoot we got to play with a tank, that was fun. Then at night you see all those funny lights flying incredibly fast out of Nevada to out over the ocean and back, or so the stories go.;):rolleyes:

Schmed
01-20-2017, 08:56 AM
There's no way I could live in a minivan for that long. However.... I do "live" in a Sprinter 3 nights per month when traveling for work. It's a bit weird (if you ask my coworkers), but I really don't care. I'd rather sleep in my own bed than a rental bed at a hotel, plus I enjoy the adventure. There's always a bike in the back for after-work riding.

But, NOT being able to stand up straight would drive me nuts after a day.

Dr Luxurious
01-20-2017, 09:06 AM
well, I might have to do it out of necessity if my divorce happens.... :mad:

CampyorBust
01-20-2017, 09:31 AM
I think it’s a neat idea, get a sooped up sprinter van with two awesome bikes, a decent bed inside, maybe web access for human contact and communication (sarc). Travel the country, explore all the great riding, write a book, take amazing photos, sketch a sketch book, start a truly exceptional blog, maybe follow some bike demos around the west, seek out the wize and learn from their wizdom, sounds like a good time, sounds like a dream.

I really like the South West I feel like I am on a different planet. Death Valley, Kings C, Sequoia, Zion, Grand Canyon, Moab, Joshua tree, Mojave etc etc. are all amazing. Some more so than others, the Mojave makes me uneasy.

I suppose it could get old after a while and living in such an enclosed space will test your mental fortitude. As others have said then a hotel every once in a while.

You could build a sweet outdoor shower too… big tank on top for water storage heated by the sun (collect some bootleged rain maybe), maybe stick a portable immersion heater in there for a warm morning shower. Of course some cheap shower curtains with colorful fishes on them are a must, also useful for the bumper dumper.:eek:

As for actually living in a van or a truck day to day while not on an exotic journey seeking the question to 42, only if the fates demand it and those three demented witches are pretty much blind.:cool:

jimcav
01-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Actually, I did this for a brief period. I think it was about 6 weeks or so. I too was working on a base that had a gym.

I found campground close by and road my bike to work. Nobody was the wiser.

I actually loved it :)

if this pans out I will likely start on base but may look at camping within a 20 mile bike ride too

jimcav
01-20-2017, 10:31 AM
To be clear i would work 4, 10-hr days then go home for 3 days, so 4 nights and then back home

I have wanted a sprinter based rv forever - my cpa says it can be considered a second residence. I would get a used roadtrek agile (smallest one) set up the longest payment plan on it (cheapest) and if you hate it down the road, just sell it. They are expensive, but hold their value incredibly well. Bathroom, stove, kitchen, tv, tons of storage. Mpg is pretty good too if you have a light foot and hwy miles (20ish)...

For me, and you might be different, I think after a couple days of working, there might be a night you just want to unwind and relax in a comfortable space. I follow a ton of van conversion instagram accounts and belong to forums, and for a quick weekend camping outing they look great, but week after week, I think it would get old. Just my opinion... you only live once, be comfortable!

I know, you can prob rent a room for less than a sprinter conversion, but you can't take that room anywhere!

hokoman
01-20-2017, 10:34 AM
To be clear i would work 4, 10-hr days then go home for 3 days, so 4 nights and then back home
For me, week after week, I would want a little more space I could stand in and be able to use the bathroom without hassle...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mhespenheide
01-20-2017, 10:40 AM
i think RV are too $$$, cheapest sprinter i saw was $59k used

I'm starting to hear some pushback against the prices of the Sprinter online, with the trending hot ticket being the newer Ford Transit vans. They apparently haven't yet started getting really popular for conversions, so used prices are still relatively low.

AngryScientist
01-20-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm starting to hear some pushback against the prices of the Sprinter online, with the trending hot ticket being the newer Ford Transit vans. They apparently haven't yet started getting really popular for conversions, so used prices are still relatively low.

i think the new nissans are going to be the hot ticket.

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/images/2017/NV/angle/full/all-vehicles.jpg

azrider
01-20-2017, 10:54 AM

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/images/2017/NV/angle/full/all-vehicles.jpg

+1

I'd stay away from Mercedes Sprinter vans. Don't take my word, take this guy's word who buy's them as fleet vehicles

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson

fa63
01-20-2017, 10:58 AM
My wife and I camp in the back of our Murano occasionally. Wouldn't want to do it for more than a couple days at a time though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/9a49702057823532206121358466da36.jpg

bicycletricycle
01-20-2017, 11:11 AM
I used to live in a van full time, a 1985 VW. It was pretty fun, read some books, hang out at coffee shops, etc. I liked going on adventures to find new nice places to park over night.

I think doing it part time would be a great time.

Just join a gym for getting cleaned up and you are all set.

Schmed
01-20-2017, 11:24 AM

the Nissans get fairly bad gas mileage and aren't very popular amongst adventure van folks. I'm not 100% sure why.

The Ford Transit is great for many reasons.... availability, dealer network, handling, etc. Cost wasn't much less than my Sprinter when optioned the same. Seats and materials are typical Ford econo-cheap, though. Mercedes cloth seats are a real nice, durable and firm setup. Ford seats feel like a cheap rental car.

I really liked the handling and ergonomics of the Transit, though. If they made a 'crew' version (driver/passenger plus 1 bench seat), I probably would have bought one over the Sprinter. 3 engine choices, too.

Generally, Sprinter 4 cyl engines get great reviews and are reliable and relatively low-cost. 24 mpg, too!

01-20-2017, 11:27 AM
I spent a month there TAD a few years back, but of course it was Feb! i hope to try it, and if it isn't fun i won't do it long. it isn't by necessity, just want to try, and wondered about the collective experiences here on the forum.
thanks again
jim

You have the initiative to think about it. It's not a place where you are in danger like you would be in many urban areas, or where it's illegal. On military bases, especially rural ones like China Lake, a lot of things are considered acceptable. Go for it. See how you like it and start shopping around to see if you can find a short-term house-share or other rental that makes better sense. It's a hard part of the country between economy and weather, but it's also beautiful and the work done there can be fascinating. (Our research lab there had several acres in back, abutting the actual weapons range. We actually had a big crater in the middle of the yard and in the middle you could still see the tail fins of a cruise missile that went astray. You always get to see interesting planes, missiles, etc. flying past the line of high resolution radars on the road up from San Bernardino to Ridgecrest.)

jimcav
01-20-2017, 11:36 AM
You have the initiative to think about it. It's not a place where you are in danger like you would be in many urban areas, or where it's illegal. On military bases, especially rural ones like China Lake, a lot of things are considered acceptable. Go for it. See how you like it and start shopping around to see if you can find a short-term house-share or other rental that makes better sense. It's a hard part of the country between economy and weather, but it's also beautiful and the work done there can be fascinating. (Our research lab there had several acres in back, abutting the actual weapons range. We actually had a big crater in the middle of the yard and in the middle you could still see the tail fins of a cruise missile that went astray. You always get to see interesting planes, missiles, etc. flying past the line of high resolution radars on the road up from San Bernardino to Ridgecrest.)

i hope those days are all in the past!

azrider
01-20-2017, 11:53 AM
my work would be on a military base where i can access the gym for showers, and will have a break room with fridge and microwave

Just join a gym for getting cleaned up and you are all set.

https://media.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/giphy.gif

01-20-2017, 12:02 PM
i hope those days are all in the past!

If you're referring to the stray missiles, ... no. They use the millimeter band radar on the hills south of China Lake to measure steering plane deflections on missiles, and have chase jets with high speed cameras taking video and telemetry as well. It's not unusual to see them go by. They're supposed to fall way out in the lake bed; sometimes, they don't. I don't know if there has ever been a problem in Ridgecrest, but they tend to run the test flights west of town. Planes landing at Inyokern airport, the local civilian field, are at times asked to hold while some ship-to-air missile goes flying by. It's just part of life there.

victoryfactory
01-20-2017, 01:37 PM
As a dedicated car camper I can tell you that finding a safe legal free place to park is an issue. National forests and BLM lands work. but are there any near your Job? Early morning routines before you get to work will be inconvenient. this will get old fast imo. A fully equipped mini camper that you can stand up in (as mentioned ) is the minimum. Otherwise it will wear you out.

VF

jimcav
01-20-2017, 01:47 PM
As a dedicated car camper I can tell you that finding a safe legal free place to park is an issue. National forests and BLM lands work. but are there any near your Job? Early morning routines before you get to work will be inconvenient. this will get old fast imo. A fully equipped mini camper that you can stand up in (as mentioned ) is the minimum. Otherwise it will wear you out.

VF

worst case will pay $15 fee as a "rv", there is camping nearby too if i go that route--i think blm land surrounds in all directions

weisan
01-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Jim pal, do it!

01-20-2017, 06:25 PM
worst case will pay $15 fee as a "rv", there is camping nearby too if i go that route--i think blm land surrounds in all directions

Victory, he's got the option of being in an RV park inside a military base. Which makes it entirely cool and safe. Then it's just whether he can stand the cold, the heat, the rabid rabbits, the scorpions, and so on.

Jim, lots of BLM land there but my recollection is that much of it is not like BLM land in the Northwest -- it's restricted access because of the classified work that goes on nearby. Even with military passes we would get evicted by military patrols on a regular basis.

p nut
01-20-2017, 06:40 PM
For those hot summer nights, this may be the ticket.

https://www.campmor.com/c/dac-explorer-2---minivan-and-sport-utility-vehicle-tent-20747

http://www.tentsontrucks.com/images/tent_open.jpg

jimcav
01-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Victory, he's got the option of being in an RV park inside a military base. Which makes it entirely cool and safe. Then it's just whether he can stand the cold, the heat, the rabid rabbits, the scorpions, and so on.

Jim, lots of BLM land there but my recollection is that much of it is not like BLM land in the Northwest -- it's restricted access because of the classified work that goes on nearby. Even with military passes we would get evicted by military patrols on a regular basis.

i only know the walker pass area campsites (west toward inyokern) and trona pinnacles--which maybe was south or east--there were tons of folks there both times i was out there.

yngpunk
01-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Just set up a tent cot in the break room. I saw a Craigslist ad once by someone looking to rent space in an apartment so he could set up one of these for sleeping.

cetuximab
01-21-2017, 04:09 PM
You are not doing it full time. Just part of a week.

I working in Vail with my brother. It was ~$1000 a month to rent a room. That was the cost of a kayak a month for each of us. We bought a $800 VW passenger bus. We took the seats out and built a bed frame. The frame is key. It makes it storage much easier. Luggage, food and coolers go under the frame. The sleeping bags stay rolled out. We would find a tree or table to set up the camp stove. It was easy to find a river bank or park to hang out.

When we had time off, the kayaks, gear and camping stuff was loaded. We were instantly ready to go.

The next summer, I went back solo. I bought a used shell for my S-10 pickup. Again the bedframe is key. It makes storage so easy. I welded a rack that fit around the shell. My bike hung on one side. My creek boat and play boat were always loaded.

It is the easier way to travel. One a road trip, when you got tired you would look for forest service or BLM on the topo map. And unless posted you can camp BLM/forest service.

Previous comment was correct. You can sleep in Walmart parking lots. RV parks have seen a loss in business since Walmart.

If I were single I'd have a shell and boat rack on my truck.

jimcav
01-21-2017, 09:57 PM
You are not doing it full time. Just part of a week.

I working in Vail with my brother. It was ~$1000 a month to rent a room. That was the cost of a kayak a month for each of us. We bought a $800 VW passenger bus. We took the seats out and built a bed frame. The frame is key. It makes it storage much easier. Luggage, food and coolers go under the frame. The sleeping bags stay rolled out. We would find a tree or table to set up the camp stove. It was easy to find a river bank or park to hang out.

When we had time off, the kayaks, gear and camping stuff was loaded. We were instantly ready to go.

The next summer, I went back solo. I bought a used shell for my S-10 pickup. Again the bedframe is key. It makes storage so easy. I welded a rack that fit around the shell. My bike hung on one side. My creek boat and play boat were always loaded.

It is the easier way to travel. One a road trip, when you got tired you would look for forest service or BLM on the topo map. And unless posted you can camp BLM/forest service.

Previous comment was correct. You can sleep in Walmart parking lots. RV parks have seen a loss in business since Walmart.

If I were single I'd have a shell and boat rack on my truck.
bike on one side, sleep on the other side. I doubt i will get much riding unless i get into night riding though, since my 10-hour days will pretty much kill ride time, since i plan to head home to the family each 3-day weekend. but maybe sometimes they will come up to the area. lots of options

merlinmurph
01-22-2017, 08:35 AM

Correct about Walmart, but don't abuse it. Some localities do not permit it. Walmart provides that service to accomodate people passing thru who need a place for one night. There are some unwritten rules.
https://youtu.be/heh-KyvfL54

Basically:
- ask for permission first
- park out of the way
- no popups or tents
- stay only one night
- do not extend slides or awnings
- do not drop levelers
- do not take chairs or bbq's out
- it's a good idea to go inside and buy something

If people abuse these rules, Walmart will no longer extend this privilege to RVers. Again, the purpose behind this policy is to allow RVers who are passing thru a quick place to sty for the night.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph