PDA

View Full Version : Caanondale Caad X 2011 headset bearings?

tuscanyswe
01-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Anyone have one ? or know what headset / bearings the frame should take?

Bought a used 2011 CaadX to build a flat bar bike which i have been wanting for a while. Couldn't seem to get the headset adjusted properly. So took out bearings labelled 36/45 in there and tried 45/45 and now they work with a different bearing cover ofc.

The bottom bearing and crown race are still the 36/45 if that makes a difference. This has me a little confused. So I'm wondering if the frame for some reason had the wrong bearings installed previously and i just got lucky and installed the correct angle bearings by luck? But considering the bottom bearings and race are still for the headset that the frame arrived with I'm not sure what to think. I know the upper bearing-cover was not original as that one should have an integrated canti hanger which my frames headset dident have so alterations were made at some point..

Could possibly a 45/45 feel correct in a 36/45 shell always perhaps and problems would only occur after a while? but that doesn't seem likely as it feels very smooth even when i torque bit to much.

Ive searched a little but couldn't find anything that left me confident about the situation.

Thank you!

mjalder2
01-21-2017, 05:26 PM
I know Cane Creek has some sort of bearing finder to help find the right headset for your rig. That might give you some guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahumblecycler
01-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Based on my CAAD10 experiences, my guess will be IS 42 45* tapered.

kcandthe_
01-22-2017, 12:17 PM
From park tool:
"The β€œIS” system is considered the most common. The name Integrated System is not a registered trade name. The system uses the 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearings for the 1-1/8 inch steering columns use a 41mm outside diameter with a 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearing may be marked β€œ36-45.” The first number refers to the inside bearing contact with the headset race or centering cone. The second number refers to the frame contact."

I'd stick with an IS41 with 36/45 degree contact. Both top and bottom.

I miss my CaadX, it was such a good bike.

Ralph
01-22-2017, 12:25 PM
My CAAD 10 is 1 1/8 and 1 1/4. I think.