PDA

View Full Version : Athena triple group

merckx
01-19-2017, 06:51 AM
Does anyone have experience using a Campag. Athena triple group? I am mostly interested in how well the front derailleur functions, specifically chain rub and trim issues. I was underwhelmed with the function of the Athena double front shift function, and was wondering if this is endemic with Athena FDs. Any idea on the triple crank Q?

R3awak3n
01-19-2017, 07:41 AM
well the athena FD is just a normal FD, the magic happens in the shifter and since athena is power shift, its a different system than chorus or record. Pretty sure the tripple is still power shift so should work similarly.

merckx
01-19-2017, 07:54 AM
well the athena FD is just a normal FD, the magic happens in the shifter and since athena is power shift, its a different system than chorus or record. Pretty sure the tripple is still power shift so should work similarly.

Understood. The magic is always in the wand. I found superior front shifting with an Athena group when I punted the Ath. 11v FD, and replaced it with a 10v version. The minimally wider cage of the 10v was the solution. Just pondering whether the triple FD has the same idiosyncrasies.

Ralph
01-19-2017, 11:49 AM
A friend has that group. Not same as a double FD. It has a triple FD. Works great. Believe he can run 9-10 of 11 gears in small and middle ring, and all 11 on large ring without trimming....if he wants. Power Shift works great with triple. Hit the button and "pow"...down shift is done in front. I prefer it over a triple I have on Ultra Shift. No need to trim. You do need to get it right. Needs a tight FD cable.

I have set up the double before. Never experienced the problems you mention.

ColonelJLloyd
01-19-2017, 11:56 AM
You have to a have a major hard on for tiny, tiny gear jumps to want an 11s triple. I suspect the target market is for dudes with AARP cards who used to get their jollies creating gear charts for various half-step granny combos with their pocket calculator.

merckx
01-19-2017, 12:19 PM
You have to a have a major hard on for tiny, tiny gear jumps to want an 11s triple. I suspect the target market is for dudes with AARP cards who used to get their jollies creating gear charts for various half-step granny combos with their pocket calculator.

How did you know who I was!

ColonelJLloyd
01-19-2017, 12:34 PM
:beer:

Hindmost
01-19-2017, 02:41 PM
...pocket calculator...

Slide rule!

thwart
01-19-2017, 03:17 PM
I found superior front shifting with an Athena group when I punted the Ath. 11v FD, and replaced it with a 10v version.

FWIW, both of my 11 spd Campy bikes are running a 10 spd FD. Superb shifting.

AKA, great minds think alike... :D

Black Dog
01-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Slide rule!

Abacus.

merckx
01-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Slide rule!

Have we met?

Hindmost
01-20-2017, 10:36 AM
I identify with the "target market." If one qualifies for an AARP card, calculated gearing, and shops for triples then it is highly probable that they once used a slide rule. It is freaking weird to think I did my college work with a plastic Pickett.

Mark McM
01-20-2017, 10:58 AM
I identify with the "target market." If one qualifies for an AARP card, calculated gearing, and shops for triples then it is highly probable that they once used a slide rule. It is freaking weird to think I did my college work with a plastic Pickett.

As high tech as aviation has become, primary pilot training still includes learning to use an E6B circular slide rule.

merckx
01-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Back on point. I never fully embraced a compact crank. A 53 X 39 has always met my needs for competition, and other adventures on a bicycle. I participate in D2R2 and a few other 10,000 vertical days that require lower gearing. My thought was to go with a triple that has a proper 53 X 39 with the addition of an option to hump up the steeps when required. I have other machines with double cranksets that satisfy other rides. Honestly, when I saw these Llewellyn machines hung with Athena triples, I was smitten.

R3awak3n
01-21-2017, 08:08 AM
hey man, ride what you like. no shame in ridding a triple. If you think you need a max gear of 53 and a low of 30 then thats what you need.

I personally don't need that high of gear in that bike but do need to low so I have a 48/30 which works great for me with a 11T in back but I know some people want/need some extra gear to bomb down those hills.

that said, not sure what you have in the back but you could do a mid compact and then a bigger cassette in the back (32T), that might work great.

Ralph
01-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Hey....I carry a AARP card....why doesn't everyone over 55?

Seriously.....I always keep one bike with a triple around for traveling and going to the hills or mountains. Compacts just don't cut it for me. Hate the big gear differences in front. And when I need a low gear....34 just isn't low enough. Around here ride a 39-52.

And what has 11 speed to do with it? Sticking a 11 or 12 tooth cog on the end of a cassette to make it 11 speeds isn't very useful for most riders.

My favorite set up is a 30-42-52 with a 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-26. Or a 12-30 or 13-29 for mountains. Can use a med cage with this. There are some NOS Campy Comp 10 triples on E Bay in 30-40-50 right now at bargain prices. For that would probably use a cassettee starting with 12.

I even ride a triple some times on flat rides with an almost straight block in rear. Best of all worlds. If you don't like or need a triple that's fine....but don't let your ego and what's mainly looking or something cloud your judgement. I can go off on a trip with my triple and a couple of different rear cassettes and ride anywhere and anything. I give up nothing.

And....I don't apologize at being good at math either. I always know what gear inches I'm riding in. It's part of knowing what you are doing. It's only 6 or 7th grade math (or 4th or 5th these days).