PDA

View Full Version : Randonneur sizing

Hilltopperny
01-19-2017, 06:04 AM
I am lusting after the green voyageur that Dazza has posted for sale in the vendors section. I have never done a formal fitting. I'm 5'9ish with a 32 inseam. Up until 4 years ago I was riding 56cm frames with more of an old school fit. Any of you wise paceliners think someone in my size range would comfortably this
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=146504

I am currently riding 54cm seat tube c-to-c and 55 tt c-to-c
With a saddle height of 74cm.

Mzilliox
01-19-2017, 09:08 AM
I hate to talk you down from this one, because this is one sexy bike, like really top notch.

but that 57cm TT would have me hesitating and i think i ride a bit longer than you do.

with a rando bike i like to decrease my reach a touch and increase my uprightness.

if i were you id be looking at something like a 56 ST and 55 TT. then your drop will be about where ya want it.

just have the man make you a custom based on your favorite frames fit...

icepick_trotsky
01-19-2017, 09:10 AM
I am almost exactly your proportions and that bike would not fit me at all.

AngryScientist
01-19-2017, 09:17 AM
this is generally speaking NOT my strong suit at all, but allow me to be the voice of reason here:

are you really considering spending ten thousand dollars on a custom bike that is not custom for you, and is a questionable fit?

i think the bike is absolutely stunning too, but spending that kind of green on anything other than a perfect-o fit is nuts. :beer:

Hilltopperny
01-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Agreed, but needed total reassurance as its just so beautiful. Just dreaming I guess:beer:

merckx
01-19-2017, 09:34 AM
In the meantime, I would get in Dazza's queue if that is the type of machine that you desire.

Mzilliox
01-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Agreed, but needed total reassurance as its just so beautiful. Just dreaming I guess:beer:

i did the same first time i saw it, it doesn't look that big!:banana:

and its damn sexy, what a nice green

wanna buy the Weigle instead?:rolleyes::beer:

zennmotion
01-19-2017, 09:37 AM
You would fit my bikes very well. But Dazza's gorgeous bike won't fit you and you won't be thinking about how perfect it is when your back and your neck hurt and you have many hours left to ride. You could get Dazza to build one for you. You'll also get advice on other options but here's mine- go visit Spectrum before you send anyone a deposit.

The Barn is a 4 hour drive from you, but well worth it, pick a nice day and take your bike- get a proper fitting from Tom, one of the best anywhere, and tell him what you want- show him pics of your dream bike with all the features, Jeff will build and it will be perfect, fit like a glove, and be equally gorgeous to anything you've dreamed up, ready and sent to you probably 6-9 months later. And yeah, Spectrums look great dressed in green, I still go down to my basement just to look at mine sometimes.

Mzilliox
01-19-2017, 09:40 AM
^^^ What he said. You would fit my bikes very well. But Dazza's gorgeous bike won't fit you and you won't be thinking about how perfect it is when your back and your neck hurt and you have many hours left to ride. You'll get advice on other options but here's mine. Spectrum.

The Barn is a 4 hour drive from you, but well worth it, pick a nice day and take your bike- get a proper fitting from Tom, one of the best anywhere, and tell him what you want- show him pics of your dream bike with all the features, Jeff will build and it will be perfect, fit like a glove, and be equally gorgeous to anything you've dreamed up, ready and sent to you probably 6-9 months later.

this would also be a good choice, ive been drooling over Tom's work for a bit here. and get Ti!!

R3awak3n
01-19-2017, 09:41 AM
first off, that bike is indeed gorgeous, minus that clock on the stem.

also it is probably too big for you and I agree with Angry all the way.
I am about to purchase a bike that is custom for someone else and its a kind of bike that lets say, does not have as much changeability when it comes to the seatpost. That said, its an expensive frame and measurements sound right to me but I am buying it over the internet so who really knows. I am definitely taking a chance but I really like it and I could never afford a custom from this guy.

That said, at that price I would definitely make sure it fits (aka I would have to go there, measure it, ride it, ect)

ColonelJLloyd
01-19-2017, 09:44 AM
I found it extremely helpful to build a spreadsheet with the geo of bikes I've owned and prospective buys. Comparing the stack and reach to frames that fit me well and those that really didn't was illuminating and going forward I can't imagine buying another frame without knowing or calculating the stack and reach.

I agree with Mzillox a tending towards a little more stack and a little less reach for long stints in the saddle.

And I agree with Angry. As nice as it may be. . . . good lord that's a lot of money for a bike that wasn't specifically made for me.

zennmotion
01-19-2017, 09:49 AM
this would also be a good choice, ive been drooling over Tom's work for a bit here. and get Ti!!

Especially for a high mileage Rando, Tom's 3 hr fitting, in person at The Barn would put Spectrum on the top of my list. But Ti, when the OP is lusting for Dazza's lovely creation? No no no! I'd love one of Tom's Ti bikes (maybe next year!) but steel is the right way to go for this application. Half the magic happens in the steel fork!

R3awak3n
01-19-2017, 09:50 AM
I found it extremely helpful to build a spreadsheet with the geo of bikes I've owned and prospective buys. Comparing the stack and reach to frames that fit me well and those that really didn't was illuminating and going forward I can't imagine buying another frame without knowing or calculating the stack and reach.

I agree with Mzillox a tending towards a little more stack and a little less reach for long stints in the saddle.

And I agree with Angry. As nice as it may be. . . . good lord that's a lot of money for a bike that wasn't specifically made for me.

I think stack and reach is the new best way to buy a frame that fits. Don't really care about anything else really (well ST angle I guess, this one is important for me).

edit - TI bike with steel fork, I would be all over that. TI would be a great material for a rando bike imo

ColonelJLloyd
01-19-2017, 09:59 AM
edit - TI bike with steel fork, I would be all over that. TI would be a great material for a rando bike imo

I recently made a decision and went with a custom steel frame, but I was really, really close to a production Ti frame and high rake steel fork from Hunter or Clockwork. Price was more or less the same.

merckx
01-19-2017, 10:11 AM
first off, that bike is indeed gorgeous, minus that clock on the stem.

also it is probably too big for you and I agree with Angry all the way.
I am about to purchase a bike that is custom for someone else and its a kind of bike that lets say, does not have as much changeability when it comes to the seatpost. That said, its an expensive frame and measurements sound right to me but I am buying it over the internet so who really knows. I am definitely taking a chance but I really like it and I could never afford a custom from this guy.

That said, at that price I would definitely make sure it fits (aka I would have to go there, measure it, ride it, ect)
Sans timepiece how would we quantify fun?

marciero
01-19-2017, 10:11 AM
I note that with the 72.5 degree seat angle the effective TT is very close to 56.5 with a 74cm saddle height, since the effect is to slide the seatpost back (and saddle forward). This is especially good if you want to use leather saddles with little for-aft adjustability, without crazy setback seatpost. But yeah, with a custom you get to choose little things like that. I almost bought a "sale" Jeff Lyon but in the end decided to just have him build one. Still finalizing geo but in the end the only difference may turn out to be that same 1/2 degree angle.