PDA

View Full Version : so what's the trendy new rim these days?

vqdriver
01-18-2017, 07:42 PM
seems only carbon wheels get all the love lately. is there anything worth talking about in 'traditional' rims? or are we still picking between hed, H+son, and pacentis?

sjbraun
01-18-2017, 07:52 PM
My LBS has moved from Pacentis to Easton, R 90 SL

Tony T
01-18-2017, 07:58 PM
If you want to build an Eason 90SL, Wheelbuilder has a kit for $1k :http://www.wheelbuilder.com/special-custom-easton-r90sl-road-wheelset.html

jtbadge
01-18-2017, 08:06 PM
If you want to build an Eason 90SL, Wheelbuilder has a kit for $1k :http://www.wheelbuilder.com/special-custom-easton-r90sl-road-wheelset.html

Yeah, or Pro Wheel Builder is running a 5-15% off sale, more hub options, and is generally more affordable: http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/sale-5-8-12-15-off

I am tempted to pull the trigger on some Industry Nine hubs > R90SLs.

Tony T
01-18-2017, 08:10 PM
90SL are wide rims. Tubeless ready. Personally, I prefer the 23mm H Plus Son Archetypes, or Belgium 23.

dcgriz
01-18-2017, 09:28 PM
DT R460 is another good choice, more along the lines of Archetype and Belgium C2.

R3awak3n
01-18-2017, 09:33 PM
not sure if trendy but I am really looking forward to the velocity quill.

according to velocity, it should be dropping in 2 weeks

of course, HED belgium always been the one to beat

PacNW2Ford
01-18-2017, 11:43 PM
I'm intrigued by the DT Swiss RR 411.

mwynne
01-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Really want to try the easton r90sl, but they might actually be impractically wide for my bike. Hmmm Belgium or archetypes

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dbnm
01-19-2017, 12:57 AM
have a look at HiFi
http://ridehifi.com/

CiclistiCliff
01-19-2017, 01:28 AM
Built some R90SL for my bike to try out the wheels. Wasn't that impressed, considering they retail for the same as Belgiums. Archetypes are great, but finish quality is just nicer on the HED's.

R90SL are also really soft. Mine have some dents already...

vqdriver
01-19-2017, 01:42 AM
Are exalith rims sold separately?

ergott
01-19-2017, 05:06 AM
I like building (in no particular order):

Easton R90SL
Pacenti Forza
Boyd Altamont
DT (a few models)
Hed Belgium

They've all given me satisfied riders.

oldpotatoe
01-19-2017, 05:33 AM
seems only carbon wheels get all the love lately. is there anything worth talking about in 'traditional' rims? or are we still picking between hed, H+son, and pacentis?

DT, Velocity, H+Son, new Pacenti(altho not built them)..some SUN for lower end. HED are nice but pricey, not sure why they are 40% or so more than a similar, asian made, rim.

Kinlin are nice for many options.

The only rim I won't build is Mavic..sorry, I know some like 'em, I don't..noisy eyelets and wedge, for like 15 years and Mavic refuses to fix it.

Lewis Moon
01-19-2017, 07:36 AM
DT, Velocity, H+Son, new Pacenti(altho not built them)..some SUN for lower end. HED are nice but pricey, not sure why they are 40% or so more than a similar, asian made, rim.

Kinlin are nice for many options.

The only rim I won't build is Mavic..sorry, I know some like 'em, I don't..noisy eyelets and wedge, for like 15 years and Mavic refuses to fix it.

I've been building with Kinlin XC279s lately and am having stellar luck. I think there may have been some QC problems early, but these and DT240s (or White Industries) are now my go-to components for bomb proof, every day wheels. Maybe a smidge heavy, but, at 6'4" and 190 lbs, I'm not a hill climber.

coolplanetbikes
01-19-2017, 07:43 AM
The DT Swiss alloy complete wheels are underrated in my opinion (RR 1450 for example). They are a bargain on the resale market. One of the new wheels I've been having good luck with is the FSA Vision Trimax 30 (not to be confused with the far cheaper Team 30). Great looking, reasonably light, bulletproof construction, and a great value.

AJosiahK
01-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Are exalith rims sold separately?

I dont think so, unless your rebuilding/replacing a damaged rim with a new one. That would be a warranty thing too.

fignon's barber
01-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Ambrosio has introduced a new wider (17mm inside) rim:

http://ambrosiowheels.com/en/rims/road/rv26/

alxp
01-21-2017, 02:13 AM
Ambrosio has introduced a new wider (17mm inside) rim:

http://ambrosiowheels.com/en/rims/road/rv26/

Has anyone seen them in the flesh yet? I have been googling for information and it has brought me here.

oldpotatoe
01-21-2017, 05:15 AM
Has anyone seen them in the flesh yet? I have been googling for information and it has brought me here.

No Ambrosio importer in the US AFAIK. 'Maybe' some Euro-online/internet place but not now.

YesNdeed
01-21-2017, 08:24 AM
...new Pacenti(altho not built them)

Does this mean the spectrum of current Pacentis available, or only the very latest, i.e. Forza? Do we know who is manufacturing them?

sjbraun
01-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Just had to replace another Pacenti rim due to cracking.
Not a weight weenie build, 28 Sapin Race spokes, less than four years old.
With my second rim failure and limited tire choices, I'm through.

My LBS is, too.

zap
01-21-2017, 08:34 AM
edit

is there anything worth talking about in 'traditional' rims?

not for me. pretty pedestrian the last few years.

Next round of ceramic coated rims should create some excitement..............but interest in disc brakes might have to die of some first.

R3awak3n
01-21-2017, 09:07 AM

My LBS is, too.

sl23 are know to be weak. I bet the new forza is better, I mean, the SL23 is a weight weenie rim and the forza is much heavier and I bet stronger as well

cadence90
01-21-2017, 09:08 AM
No Ambrosio importer in the US AFAIK. 'Maybe' some Euro-online/internet place but not now.
CicliCorsa (ITA) is selling the RV26.
I have no idea as to any other distributors, let alone any actual, unbiased reviews.

My LBS is, too.
With all due respect to Pacenti, 1x failure is bad, but 2x is truly horrendous. Something is just not right there. Pacenti is completely off the grid for me now.

"Never buy very appealing parts that are also very likely to go very south on you in a very short time."
Excellent advice from a friend of mine.

saab2000
01-21-2017, 09:18 AM
sl23 are know to be weak. I bet the new forza is better, I mean, the SL23 is a weight weenie rim and the forza is much heavier and I bet stronger as well

Which version of the SL23? I have a V1 and a V2 and they've been fine. That said, I am definitely looking forward to some Forza wheels. I love the offset design for the rear.

I also got a set of Boyd Altamont Lites and I'm looking forward to an actual road ride with them. Lately I've been using on them on the trainer. They're light, stiff, aero and corner like they're on rails on the trainer. ;)

Hilltopperny
01-21-2017, 09:19 AM
I am 200+ and had old spud build me up a set of 32 hole dt460 rims. They are bomb proof and tubeless ready. Not climbers, but great for gravel/adventure cycling and at a great price.

thirdgenbird
01-21-2017, 09:21 AM
I kind of want to try the rv26 laced to a pair of miche hubs.

sjbraun
01-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Version 1.

My LBS builds a lot of wheels. They were very keen on Pacentis in the past, but will not build with them now. That says a lot to me. I hope his new rims work well as I think Mr. P has done a lot for the industry.

Which version of the SL23? I have a V1 and a V2 and they've been fine. That said, I am definitely looking forward to some Forza wheels. I love the offset design for the rear.

I also got a set of Boyd Altamont Lites and I'm looking forward to an actual road ride with them. Lately I've been using on them on the trainer. They're light, stiff, aero and corner like they're on rails on the trainer. ;)

saab2000
01-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Version 1.

My LBS builds a lot of wheels. They were very keen on Pacentis in the past, but will build with them now. That says a lot to me. I hope his new rims work well as I think Mr. P has done a lot for the industry.

Personally I like the V2 better and I think I'll like the Forza even more. My V1s are on my Hampsten single speed. I've been halfway tempted to replace them but so far they've been reliable.

They were built up by Mr. Ergott himself in a 28/24 built. The bike gets used but never too hard. When or if they crack or disintegrate I'll have him rebuild them with Forza rims or something else with a 20+mm internal width.

The V1 were my first exposure to quality wider rims and I became a believer. They seem to work well as advertised.

cadence90
01-21-2017, 09:42 AM
I am 200+ and had old spud build me up a set of 32 hole dt460 rims. They are bomb proof and tubeless ready. Not climbers, but great for gravel/adventure cycling and at a great price.
Re: those I do believe the reputation. Plus the spud recommendation = :beer:.

I kind of want to try the rv26 laced to a pair of miche hubs.
Or Record 32/32 from Starbike at the 15% off WW discount.

Fatty
01-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Trendy? What old is new again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS-MAVIC-CXP-33-700c-32h-RED-CLINCHER-RIM-SET-Mint-New-Old-Stock-/322386333628?hash=item4b0fb90fbc:g:fpoAAOSw2xRYdTP X

oldpotatoe
01-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Does this mean the spectrum of current Pacentis available, or only the very latest, i.e. Forza? Do we know who is manufacturing them?

I think OC rears are a great thing. DT, A23, some other Velocity but expensive to manufacturer. I haven't seen the Forza in the wild. I have built many DT440 and A23. Very happy with those.

bigbill
01-21-2017, 10:06 AM
I had a SL23 V1 with Record wheelset. After a year the rear rim cracked in two places at DS holes. The builder (RT) replaced the rear rim with an R90 SL and it's been a great wheel. It is wider at 24mm than the V1, but it matches up well as a rear wheel. It is almost too wide, especially with a 25mm Pro4, there is about 2mm between the tire and chainstay. I'm putting some 25mm Vittorias on them, should narrow that up a little.

Mackers
01-21-2017, 11:29 AM
-

velotrack
01-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Won't ever buy a pacenti rim again. Cracked SL23 V2 rim, 65kg rider.

No thank you.

bigbill
01-21-2017, 03:13 PM
I've attached photos showing two rear wheels, one with an Easton R90 SL and the other with an Ambrosio Excellence. Both have 25mm Pro 4 Endurance tires. The bike is a Serotta Ti Fierte. It's pretty obvious which wheel is the wide one.

Black Dog
01-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Won't ever buy a pacenti rim again. Cracked SL23 V2 rim, 65kg rider.

No thank you.

Where did it crack and what was the Spoke tension?

velotrack
01-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Where did it crack and what was the Spoke tension?

Spoke holes.

Do not know the tension... someone else built them, someone who knows how to build wheels.

Looking throughout this thread, seems like Pacenti rims cracking is a normal occurence. A quick google search reveals the same thing. Why anyone is buying them is beyond me.

R3awak3n
01-21-2017, 11:03 PM
Spoke holes.

Do not know the tension... someone else built them, someone who knows how to build wheels.

Looking throughout this thread, seems like Pacenti rims cracking is a normal occurence. A quick google search reveals the same thing. Why anyone is buying them is beyond me.

those rims are now discontinued for a reason. I bet the new rim is much better.
the SL23s were not good rims but most pacenti rims are excellent

velotrack
01-22-2017, 02:48 PM
those rims are now discontinued for a reason. I bet the new rim is much better.
the SL23s were not good rims but most pacenti rims are excellent

Yeah, I get that. But they, and Kirk Pacenti in customer service, had their chance to convince me to buy again. Neither was satisfactory. You shouldn't have to go through 2+ iterations of a road rim to sort through all those problems, IMO. The new rims might be great, but I'm not going to bet on their performance when there are so many options.

Not trying to sling mud here, just a personal experience. My HED Belgiums have never failed me, so I will continue to buy them.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2017, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I get that. But they, and Kirk Pacenti in customer service, had their chance to convince me to buy again. Neither was satisfactory. You shouldn't have to go through 2+ iterations of a road rim to sort through all those problems, IMO. The new rims might be great, but I'm not going to bet on their performance when there are so many options.

Not trying to sling mud here, just a personal experience. My HED Belgiums have never failed me, so I will continue to buy them.

H+Son Archetype great rims. DT440 and 460. Velocity..have I mentioned that already?

Ooops. :p