PDA

View Full Version : any HRM experts in the house?

Kines
08-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Reading about a few different ways to measure Max and LT heart rates - unless you spend money in a lab, they're all subjective. And I've read enough to be convinced that using age alone is innacurate.

So, as long as you're young and fit, what's wrong with finding your max by simply maxing out? You know, like 15 minutes on a 10% grade at a pace that makes it feel like if you turn the crank one more stroke you won't be able to get in the next breath, then just look at the HRM and use that number. Is this not an accurate max HR?

Avispa
08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Reading about a few different ways to measure Max and LT heart rates - unless you spend money in a lab, they're all subjective. And I've read enough to be convinced that using age alone is innacurate.

So, as long as you're young and fit, what's wrong with finding your max by simply maxing out? You know, like 15 minutes on a 10% grade at a pace that makes it feel like if you turn the crank one more stroke you won't be able to get in the next breath, then just look at the HRM and use that number. Is this not an accurate max HR?

It may be close, but not necessarily "accurate". A couple of years ago, I had a stress test done and the predicted Max HR was 171, with a VO2 of 63. I was 156+ lbs, then. Perhaps I was tired that day on the lab.... I say this because, I have seen my HR go as high as 182 if I go [almost] all out on the local over pass we have here in Florida. Again, this is after riding for almost 2 hours.

I have always had a low max HR. even when I was in top shape. I am now 46 and my VO2 is more than 65, closer to 70, I'd say, as I am now about 143 lbs.

So you are right, age alone is not a good indicator of anything, especially today with all the equipment and supplements available.

Roy E. Munson
08-01-2006, 10:43 AM
I used a "do it yourself" LT test and my LT number came out exactly the same as it did when I had it tested in a lab. Age was irrelevant to the test, as was Max HR.

ada@prorider.or
08-01-2006, 10:47 AM
well basicly hart rate is determined of the body that need the blood with oxygen

example if you have to generate 300 watts and let say 4 liters saturated blood then you have another hart rate then
300 watts and 6 liters saturated blood

hence that what you training for

the same is if you take 4 liters blood saturated 95 % blood
and 4 liters blood saturated with 99 %

with 95 % you have a higher hart rate
for the same amount of work that you have to do

Too Tall
08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
What RoyCeeschimeric said :)

Don't test for max you don't need it to accomplish what you are after. Do test for LT using repeats of the same test under similar conditions...best indoors on a good trainer.

LT changes a good bit depending on factors so you just need a good test...start to work with it and fine tune based on results. Retest to see progress. Make sense?

Brian
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
My wife sells pacemakers and internal defibrillators. One day at a coffee shop we ran into one of her customers, a well-respected cardiologist, who happens to be a cyclist. We started talking about max heart rates and I asked him if he would be interested in testing me for my max heart rate or recommending someone who could.

He told me that not only could he help me determine my max heart rate, but save me a ton of money in the process. He asked me if I was familiar with a series of three difficult back-to-back climbs in the area – the last of which is about 18%. I told him I was. He told me to ascend the first two climbs at 90% of my previously recorded max. He then said that upon turning onto the final 18% climb, to get out of the saddle, punch it and ride until I fell off the bike. He said the point at which I fell off the bike would be my max heart rate. Now I didn’t take the “fall of the bike” thing literally, but I got his point.

He also said that one’s max heart rate will vary from day-to-day and depends on many variables: climate, altitude, amount of sleep, hydration level, etc.

Too Tall
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Brian, pretty accurate and really not a good idea however I agree with your doc AND advise you add 5 bpm to the highest number you saw because you'll NEVER see your theoretical max. In my practice this makes the formulas I like work pretty darn well. Yeah, I've tested athletes for max but only after lots of asking. I hate yelling at people ;)

ada@prorider.or
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
He also said that one’s max heart rate will vary from day-to-day and depends on many variables: climate, altitude, amount of sleep, hydration level, etc.

yes that we all say but in differant words and explaination´s