PDA

View Full Version : HED 15mm to 12mm thru axle swap...

louielopez
01-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Trying to find a video or help on how to change out the end caps to go from 15mm to 12mm on a HED wheel set with HED hubs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John H.
01-17-2017, 10:48 PM
What specific hub?
I know that the hub used on the Ardennes SL requires what amounts to an axle swap.

louielopez
01-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Ardennes plus lt disc.

jeffst
06-03-2018, 06:59 PM
I am about to do same. Curious what you figured out.

allezdude
06-03-2018, 10:43 PM
just converted from 15 to 12 on a set of Ardennes LT - at firstnI thought it would be a simple end cap swap but thatbwas not to be- only the GP model can be converted by a simple end cap swap- all the other models require a conversion kit

i needed to buy a conversion kit from HED for $65 that includes a new center sleeve and bearings-

competotive cyclist will sell you just the center sleeve which is pretty useless since it doesnt include bearings or the end caps

anyway good luck & hope that helps

Dave M
04-11-2020, 12:15 PM
Bumping this up as I’m trying to do the same on a HED Eroica GP front wheel with the current production HED hubs. No guidance on HED’s website that I could find. Any help appreciated!

Davist
04-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Couldn't you use one of those adapter sleeves? Seems painless if an axle swap is the alternate..

Dave M
04-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Couldn't you use one of those adapter sleeves? Seems painless if an axle swap is the alternate..

I could but I’ve already got the new axle with the bearings. Just need to figure out how to get the old out and install the new kit. Thanks.

Gummee
04-11-2020, 08:25 PM
What specific hub?
I know that the hub used on the Ardennes SL requires what amounts to an axle swap.

I did it a while ago, but the front axle swapped out on the Stinger 3s I have. IIRC the rear was just end caps

Easy peasy

M

edited to add: IIRC one side comes off and you tap the other thru with a mallet

Dave M
04-11-2020, 08:43 PM
I did it a while ago, but the front axle swapped out on the Stinger 3s I have. IIRC the rear was just end caps

Easy peasy

M

edited to add: IIRC one side comes off and you tap the other thru with a mallet

Thanks Gummee. I was afraid to give it too much muscle if it wasn’t supposed to tap out that way. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow.