PDA

View Full Version : What I get to ride today. Who's Floyd Landis?

saab2000
08-01-2006, 09:31 AM
A friend of mine lets me keep one of my bikes at his house in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Cool.

This beast will be ridden all week and I am happy. This is what is is all about. A steel racing bike with friction shifters and no computer and not a care in the world!! This is what makes riding fun and the other 'news' of the world from elsewhere in the world of cycling and the 'real' world sucks.

Big Dan
08-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Saab, enjoy the ride. That sled looks serious......... :D

Fixed
08-01-2006, 09:34 AM
the simple life
cool soul bro

Ginger
08-01-2006, 09:36 AM
You should hook up with Spiderlake and Scrooge...they're over in that neck of the woods.

Nice hills* around Grand Rapids. Have a great time!

* hills in Michigan are overpasses in other states...except Florida...Michigan hills are mountains compared to anything in FLA

David Kirk
08-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Enjoy!

Dave

Avispa
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
...A steel racing bike with friction shifters and no computer ....

That's a real man's bike! Go enjoy that baby!!!!! :D :D

spiderlake
08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm sure your friend already has a wide selection of routes committed to memory but if you need any ideas for the area just give me a shout. Egypt Valley is great for "hillls" and if the Priority Health team is in town, you can hammer with them through the valley. The local club is the Rapid Wheelmen and they have group rides leaving from various locations every day of the week.

Rapid Wheelmen site:
http://www.lmb.org/rapidwheels/

Monday night Time Trials through August sponsored by the club. Last week they had over 30 riders so it seems to be popular. I have never done it myself but your rig would qualify you for the "classic" category and I bet you would tear it up!

There is also the Grattan Road Race Series every Wednesday night. This is a closed-circuit race out at the Grattan Raceway. A and B groups around 30 miles.

saab2000
08-01-2006, 10:35 AM
There is some sort of group ride in Ada tonight. The plan is also to hit the little race course tomorrow night. My fitness is mediocre at best, having just gotten over a cold and having moved. I was off the bike for 2 weeks and that hurts. Plus I am just plain not in the shape I used to be in.

I would get dropped like a hot rock if I really went on some race team's training ride.

I do like riding around here though. I was here last year twice and really enjoy the terrain and relatively quiet roads. Seems like a very nice place in which to ride.

scrooge
08-01-2006, 11:00 AM
There is some sort of group ride in Ada tonight. The plan is also to hit the little race course tomorrow night. My fitness is mediocre at best, having just gotten over a cold and having moved. I was off the bike for 2 weeks and that hurts. Plus I am just plain not in the shape I used to be in.

I would get dropped like a hot rock if I really went on some race team's training ride.

I do like riding around here though. I was here last year twice and really enjoy the terrain and relatively quiet roads. Seems like a very nice place in which to ride.

Group ride in Ada is pretty good (from my limited experience)--but one of those "every-person-for-himself" affairs. I won't be there as I'll be out for a joy ride on the new tandem with my wife.

swalburn
08-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm sure your friend already has a wide selection of routes committed to memory but if you need any ideas for the area just give me a shout. Egypt Valley is great for "hillls" and if the Priority Health team is in town, you can hammer with them through the valley. The local club is the Rapid Wheelmen and they have group rides leaving from various locations every day of the week.

Rapid Wheelmen site:
http://www.lmb.org/rapidwheels/

Monday night Time Trials through August sponsored by the club. Last week they had over 30 riders so it seems to be popular. I have never done it myself but your rig would qualify you for the "classic" category and I bet you would tear it up!

There is also the Grattan Road Race Series every Wednesday night. This is a closed-circuit race out at the Grattan Raceway. A and B groups around 30 miles.

Spiderlake, how do you like the rapid wheelmen club. I am very close to joining. I currently live in Sparta and rode with some of the guys at the 24 hour challenge. I bought a house in Rockford, and am really looking for a group to ride with. Most of miles are by myself. I decided I'm going to join once I get settled the the new house. I was just looking for you opinion of the guys in the club.

spiderlake
08-01-2006, 09:55 PM
In the interest of full-disclosure, I am not a member of the club. However, I know at least ten people that I can think of off the top of my head that are members (including 3 co-workers) and they are all top-notch people/riders. I do belong to their forum on Yahoo Groups and attend (as a spectator only) a lot of the races but just haven't gotten around to joining. Heck, I *just* joined the MMBA after several years of posting on their forum, using their trail guides and the like.

If you do join I don't think you'll be disappointed. They are an active group and are well-represented whenever I see them at events, on the road, etc. Scrooge talked about joining when he moved to GR so he might be a good resource. Hope this helps.

Spiderlake, how do you like the rapid wheelmen club. I am very close to joining. I currently live in Sparta and rode with some of the guys at the 24 hour challenge. I bought a house in Rockford, and am really looking for a group to ride with. Most of miles are by myself. I decided I'm going to join once I get settled the the new house. I was just looking for you opinion of the guys in the club.

shinomaster
05-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Nice saddle. It doesn't look like a mushroom. ;)

kgreene10
05-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Wicked amount of drop from saddle to hoods. Ouch!

soulspinner
05-29-2008, 05:06 AM
Yeah, man! :beer:

William
05-29-2008, 05:09 AM
What you got there? a 13?

Nice bike BTW. :cool:

William

znfdl
05-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Saab:

Very nice. When you are back in DC, send a PM and maybe we can hook up for a ride.

max_powers
05-29-2008, 10:50 AM
The Bike is like a generic steel race bike, don't see much glamour there.. good feeling ride of yesteryear..

It's what you can do with it. If u can take it to group ride and show up the carbon framed, bladed wheel whizzers, then it feels *really*good.