PDA

View Full Version : Deal or a death wish

geordanh
01-17-2017, 02:22 PM
So I know there is a "is this safe to ride" meta thread kicking around, but I have had no luck searching for it to post there instead. Anyhow, sorry about not adding to that thread instead of posting another carbon rim am I going to die thread.

Threw out a couple cheap bids on this guy and looks like I won. Figured at the starting price the rear hub and front wheel are worth the asking price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322388691960

Anyhow, would you guys ride that rear wheel? It's tubular. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/e9c90f991d1f05ea070b2649c064697d.pngTwo considerations for me are adhesion of the tire (still a decent amount of surface area to apply glue to nearer the edges) and structural rim failure.

Riding would almost exclusively be crits.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Title edited based on a better suggestion

gemship
01-17-2017, 02:32 PM
I bet that looks a whole lot nastier than it really is. I wonder how it happened? I don't see why you couldn't ride it, I don't think that would lead to any catastrophic failure but it may not hurt to see if you could somehow fill in the void with a super adhesive material/epoxy. OTOH not being a tubular guy I guess just gluing in your tires will do that on carbon rims. I still imagine it may be ok for at least the life of one more tire.

MattTuck
01-17-2017, 02:34 PM
No thoughts on the wheel, but this thread title is awesome and should be the new 'is it safe meta thread'. :banana::beer:

maybe Deal or Death Wish... or death sentence. Either have a nice ring to them.

rain dogs
01-17-2017, 02:35 PM
You glue a new tubular in there and eventually need to remove it, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, what is going to happen? As it appears to me that it was ripped apart taking out whatever tubular was stuck in there that proceeded that state

Put me in the repair it (if possible) or garbage it camp.

Also, it's for crit racing, what would all the dudes around you vote?

djdj
01-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Whole family die. :eek:

But seriously, I wouldn't ride it. Just not worth the risk.

Hindmost
01-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Humm...a little resin and mat patch. Job done.

christian
01-17-2017, 02:40 PM
It ripped when someone removed the tubular too forcefully, obviously. I suspect it will continue to rip. I would not ride that. Wheels and forks, you know.

R3awak3n
01-17-2017, 03:04 PM
I personally would not ride

You should have bought those hubs from me for $300 :(

eBAUMANN
01-17-2017, 03:27 PM
deal.

i would ride it and have ridden and raced (cx) far scarier looking damaged carbon...the stuff is generally stronger than people give it credit for.

if that were mine, i would dab some epoxy all over that area, really fill in and join whatever loose fibers/void there might be...then sand even with the shape of the rim bed. glue tire and away you go.

the rim bed is probably the least stressed part of the entire rim.

just my 2c

commonguy001
01-17-2017, 03:32 PM
a little JB weld to smooth it out and that'd be that if they were my wheels.
Not a bad deal

Dead Man
01-17-2017, 03:33 PM
I had some carbon flake off the rim bed on a set of tubies couple years ago. It didn't leave a HOLE like in the pic, but it was definitely a good chunk missing. I did as above, and epoxied the whole area, glued it up and rode it without issue

I bet there's even carbon fiber/resin repair kits you could buy that'd fix that right up

Luwabra
01-17-2017, 03:35 PM
I'd absolutely ride it. Epoxy and sand

R3awak3n
01-17-2017, 03:37 PM
my problem with it would be that it is in a place that is hard to see if its getting worst or not.

kingpin75s
01-17-2017, 03:40 PM
I generally agree with epoxy and sand. I would only add that I use colloidal silica in my epoxy mixes when I want to build or rebuild anything structural. Works slick and sands fine.

FlashUNC
01-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Plenty of other non-damaged wheels out there. I'd say pass.

Dead Man
01-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Plenty of other non-damaged wheels out there. I'd say pass.

Not for that price, though! Especially if you're in the powertap stuff.

And for a wheel that stands good odds of getting destroyed on the race course anyway....

stien
01-17-2017, 03:58 PM
As the kids say: YOLO.

geordanh
01-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. This place is so great.

I'm going to take the minority of advice here and go the epoxy + race the $hit out of it route. There's a guy near my house who does awesome repair work on carbon frames so I will see what he can do for me.

If it doesn't work out well it's been nice knowing you all. I know I only have like 200 posts (mostly in the classifieds - not cool man) but I hope you'd remember me fondly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unterhausen
01-17-2017, 08:38 PM
I think that if it does fail, you will be able to tell first by the brake tracks. So if the braking goes wonky on that wheel, it's time to retire from the crit you are riding.