PDA

View Full Version : NAHBS - Paceline dinner?

David Kirk
01-16-2017, 07:16 AM
There has been a long time tradition of having a Paceline forum dinner at NAHBS and I wonder if there is interest in doing that this year. The show will be in Salt Lake City this coming March 10th-12th. Typically the dinner has taken place on Saturday right after the show closes for the day.

Is there interest in getting together? It would be fun you put some faces to the screen names and have some good food and a beer or two.

dave

weisan
01-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Dave pal, wish I could be there to shake your hands and pay for your dinner...:beer:

cmbicycles
01-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Dave pal, wish I could be there to shake your hands and pay for your dinner...[emoji481]
What happened to your spring break? Just get a head start, and browse around a few nice bikes. ;)

weisan
01-16-2017, 08:25 AM
What happened to your spring break? Just get a head start, and browse around a few nice bikes. ;)

True dat....'cept looking for warmer weather. :D

pdmtong
01-18-2017, 06:13 PM
I regret not being able to raise a glass with Dave (although I did meet him) at NAHBS two Sacramentos ago.

Bumping because those of you heading to SLC may not have seen this.

Anarchist
01-18-2017, 07:02 PM
True dat....'cept looking for warmer weather. :D

I have stopped in Salt Lake City once.

It was the first weekend in May.

It was snowing.

vqdriver
01-18-2017, 07:33 PM
i've always wanted to attend one of these.
anyone know how far in advance they announce the locations? will it return to california in the near future?

ctcyclistbob
01-18-2017, 07:43 PM
i've always wanted to attend one of these.
anyone know how far in advance they announce the locations? will it return to california in the near future?

At the end of the show each year they announce the next year's location.

I'm still waiting for a Northeast visit.

unterhausen
01-18-2017, 08:54 PM
I have stopped in Salt Lake City once.

It was the first weekend in May.

It was snowing.

that is pretty rare, in my experience. Lived there for 6 years, was there a lot for a couple of years before that. The ski areas close on Mother's day, and they often have fresh snow. But they close because, by then, everyone is bored and doing something else down in the valley. The weather in the valley is usually pretty nice starting in March, and April is usually really nice. In fact, the winter is pretty tolerable, except the inversion traps all the nasties down in the valley and so you have to live with that. I forget when the inversions break up, March sounds about right.

This sounds like a perfect time for a bike/ski vacation, and it's during our spring break. Probably not worth it for me, but it's intriguing

Plum Hill
01-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Dave pal, wish I could be there to shake your hands and pay for your dinner...:beer:

Gift certificate.

rodcad
02-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Dave,
A fellow Paceliner buddy and I are planning to go and dinner/beer sounds great. We're driving up from Denver so as long as the weather is reasonable we'll be there.

Rod

sales guy
02-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Hey Mr Kirk

You know that there is an exhibitor party on Friday night, right?
Not 100% sure but I believe all the exhibitors are invited. And if not I can certainly get you in.

David Kirk
02-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Dave,
A fellow Paceliner buddy and I are planning to go and dinner/beer sounds great. We're driving up from Denver so as long as the weather is reasonable we'll be there.

Rod

Cool - I look forward to it.

dave

David Kirk
02-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Hey Mr Kirk

You know that there is an exhibitor party on Friday night, right?
Not 100% sure but I believe all the exhibitors are invited. And if not I can certainly get you in.

Yeah - there's always been a Friday show party and that's why the Paceline dinner has always been on Saturday.

I'm planning on be around for both nights.

dave

dbnm
02-09-2017, 03:10 PM
I will probably be available so keep me in mind. I'd love to meet you all.

David Kirk
02-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Cool - we need a local to pick a spot within walking distance and to make a reservation.

Any SLC folks?

dave

exapkib
02-09-2017, 04:18 PM
I don't know if I'll be able to join in or not, but the first spot that comes to mind is Red Iguana. It's just one stop away on the light rail, and has some seriously good Mexican food.

They only take reservations for groups larger than six--have we hit that number?

lookout2015
02-09-2017, 05:17 PM
I don't know if I'll be able to join in or not, but the first spot that comes to mind is Red Iguana. It's just one stop away on the light rail, and has some seriously good Mexican food.

They only take reservations for groups larger than six--have we hit that number?

Alejandro Escovedo has said he books SLC on his tours so he can eat at the Red Iguana - which seems like about the coolest recommendation a restaurant can get

I'm not local to SLC any more (went to grad school at UofU more years ago than I care to count) so not terribly current on restaurants there but it's a great place

mod6
03-07-2017, 09:56 PM
David,

I will be out in SLC for the show with a friend of mine. We would like to attend the Paceline dinner and beers after the show if it is still in the works.

Ed

elcolombiano
03-07-2017, 11:16 PM
I also will be at the show in SLC and would to get together with all of you guys for Dinner and Beer.

Please confirm where and at what time we meet.

Alan

rodcad
03-08-2017, 07:27 AM
My buddy John and I will be there for the show on Saturday and would be up for dinner and drinks. I second the vote for the Red Iguana if we can get in there, but anyplace is fine. We'll be at the Radisson which is just around the corner from the show.

Rod

David Kirk
03-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Hey all - it looks like we might have a quorum - cool.

I will not be able to be the point man on this and we'll need to have someone take a head count and contact a restaurant to make reservations and figure out how we'll get there. I'd like to think that I would have the time to make the above happen but I'm going to be flat out between now and Monday afternoon so another Paceliner will need to make this happen.

In years past we've met at my booth at the close of business (6:00 pm) on Saturday and we'd go to dinner directly from there and this has worked very well.

I'm going to check out of this now and will be there on Saturday evening. I look forward to seeing you all.

dave

rodcad
03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Hey all - it looks like we might have a quorum - cool.

I will not be able to be the point man on this and we'll need to have someone take a head count and contact a restaurant to make reservations and figure out how we'll get there. I'd like to think that I would have the time to make the above happen but I'm going to be flat out between now and Monday afternoon so another Paceliner will need to make this happen.

In years past we've met at my booth at the close of business (6:00 pm) on Saturday and we'd go to dinner directly from there and this has worked very well.

I'm going to check out of this now and will be there on Saturday evening. I look forward to seeing you all.

dave

Worst case let's all just plan to meet at Dave's booth at 6 and we'll wing it.

pcb
03-09-2017, 01:02 AM
I'm flying out tomorrow, will help Konno-san and crew at the Cherubim booth. I'll swing by Dave's Sat nite. Gee, I'll get to see how tall Rod really is!

Worst case let's all just plan to meet at Dave's booth at 6 and we'll wing it.

rodcad
03-09-2017, 07:40 AM
I'm flying out tomorrow, will help Konno-san and crew at the Cherubim booth. I'll swing by Dave's Sat nite. Gee, I'll get to see how tall Rod really is!

Ha ha. Hi Paul, glad you're coming out!

FYI all, My buddy recommends Red Iguana, Pat's BBQ and Moochies Meatball sandwhiches for chow.

pdmtong
03-12-2017, 01:37 PM
well, how was dinner with the man of the hour? and finally putting faces and real names to paceline names?

and where are the NAHBS pics?

roguedog
03-12-2017, 01:41 PM
i know.. i kept thinking that nahbs this year seems really really quiet. only news i got was that dude on fb with all the interviews which i found mildly annoying but still watched since it was easily available.

maybe i'm just outta the loop

pcb
03-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Jeez Louise, the show just ended and peeps already want pix and stuff? :^}

Dave was fighting a scratchy throat and fading voice, so he reluctantly bowed out from dinner. So the quorum wound up being me, elcolumbiano, rodcad and his bud JP. We were all pretty wiped out from the show, and Blue Iguana had a 1hr wait, so we did the nearby Olive Garden. Short wait, decent food, sufficient liquor and good company. We talked bikes mostly, no fights broke out, nobody got arrested. At least as far as I've heard.

As for pix, the good news is I had time to wander a bit and take some pix. The bad news is I had time to wander a bit and take some pix. I would have preferred more foot traffic and spending more time in the booth, but whaddya gonna do?

I'm not going to be able to post my pix till I get home, hopefully tomorrow. I'm kinda flying into a blizzard, if the Jersey snow holds off til late Mon nite I may actually get to land. Otherwise maybe I get stuck in SLC for a bit?

I posted some phone pix to my facebook page, be forewarned they're pretty Cherubim-centric:
https://www.facebook.com/BroninJitensha/

There were beautiful bikes everywhere. I would have like to see more lugged steel, and less wood. It felt like there were fewer fat bikes & cargo bikes, maybe zero road fixed gears, very few rando builds, lotsa gravel and road discs. The way NAHBS wanders around the country, I'm never sure how the changes in what's represented is due to larger market changes or narrower location differences.

well, how was dinner with the man of the hour? and finally putting faces and real names to paceline names?

oldpotatoe
03-13-2017, 07:26 AM

Some pix here

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/gallery-the-weird-and-wonderful-bikes-of-nahbs-2017-49371

fuzzalow
03-13-2017, 08:30 AM
and Blue Iguana had a 1hr wait, so we did the nearby Olive Garden.

Nice you fellas had a good time.

If I were there, I woulda stood around and waited a Blue Iguana for the group and sent you guys off to a bar to kill an hour. I got nuthin' against Olive Garden but if I can't I will. Also I would also probably not find myself back in SLC anytime soon and if I wanna eat OG there's one in Times Square. :eek:

sc53
03-13-2017, 08:39 AM
What was the wait for the Red Iguana?

rodcad
03-13-2017, 09:10 AM
What was the wait for the Red Iguana?

Probably a LONG time. Didn't check. Went there on Friday early. 10 minute wait and food was incredible.

pdmtong
03-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Jeez Louise, the show just ended and peeps already want pix and stuff? :^}

Dave was fighting a scratchy throat and fading voice, so he reluctantly bowed out from dinner. So the quorum wound up being me, elcolumbiano, rodcad and his bud JP. We were all pretty wiped out from the show, and Blue Iguana had a 1hr wait, so we did the nearby Olive Garden. Short wait, decent food, sufficient liquor and good company. We talked bikes mostly, no fights broke out, nobody got arrested. At least as far as I've heard.

As for pix, the good news is I had time to wander a bit and take some pix. The bad news is I had time to wander a bit and take some pix. I would have preferred more foot traffic and spending more time in the booth, but whaddya gonna do?

I'm not going to be able to post my pix till I get home, hopefully tomorrow. I'm kinda flying into a blizzard, if the Jersey snow holds off til late Mon nite I may actually get to land. Otherwise maybe I get stuck in SLC for a bit?

I posted some phone pix to my facebook page, be forewarned they're pretty Cherubim-centric:
https://www.facebook.com/BroninJitensha/

There were beautiful bikes everywhere. I would have like to see more lugged steel, and less wood. It felt like there were fewer fat bikes & cargo bikes, maybe zero road fixed gears, very few rando builds, lotsa gravel and road discs. The way NAHBS wanders around the country, I'm never sure how the changes in what's represented is due to larger market changes or narrower location differences.

whenever you get a chance to [post your pics, i would welcome the opty to see them. hope you made it home without much incident.

pcb
03-14-2017, 01:46 AM
Thanks!

No flights into the northeast for two days---have to stay in SLC till Wed while Blizzard Stella slams Jersey.

I figured how to upload some pix from my cam to flickr using my phone, but it looks like it's only uploading down-rez'd files. It takes a long time for each image, and they look pretty crappy, so I'll go for a re-do after I get home.

In the meantime, here's a few crappy down-rez'd pix:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskW5XHmk

whenever you get a chance to [post your pics, i would welcome the opty to see them. hope you made it home without much incident.

Web1111a
03-14-2017, 05:30 AM
Link is not working

Keith A
03-14-2017, 05:59 AM
Link is not workingSame for me.

mod6
03-14-2017, 09:48 AM
Sorry Guys that I could not make dinner. Spent a good part of Saturday evening on the phone re arraigning trip plans due to NY and SLC weather. Would up hitting a Brazilian steak place in the City Creek Mall around 8. Good food just a little too salty for my pallet.

pcb
03-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Sorry, try this:

The original link has an ampersand (the "at" sign), which gets truncated here.

Same for me.

pcb
03-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Woulda coulda shoulda for me. Sucks to not be home, but better in sunny 60s weather than somewhere worse.

I passed by the Brazilian steak place yesterday looking for lunch. Decided to eat cheaper with two extra hotel nights on my tab.

Sorry Guys that I could not make dinner. Spent a good part of Saturday evening on the phone re arraigning trip plans due to NY and SLC weather. Would up hitting a Brazilian steak place in the City Creek Mall around 8. Good food just a little too salty for my pallet.

pdmtong
03-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Thanks!

No flights into the northeast for two days---have to stay in SLC till Wed while Blizzard Stella slams Jersey.

I figured how to upload some pix from my cam to flickr using my phone, but it looks like it's only uploading down-rez'd files. It takes a long time for each image, and they look pretty crappy, so I'll go for a re-do after I get home.

In the meantime, here's a few crappy down-rez'd pix:

thanks for sharing those. really nice stuff. the up skirt comment made me laugh out loud.