PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack Mounts: Wheel-On-Bike vs. Fork Mount

YesNdeed
01-15-2017, 08:22 PM
What's your preference?

I'm upgrading my roof rack to Yakima Whispbars, and I'll be in the market for new mounts. I have been using fork mount trays for years, and I like the added deterrent of putting the front wheel in the car--thieves would either have to run off with the bike minus a wheel, or commit to the extra step (and crime) of breaking into the vehicle. However, I don't leave any bike unattended on the car for long, and often supplement security with a cable lock. The ease of a wheels on system appeals to me too.

Also, it looks like most Thule mounts can be used on Whisbars along with an adapter. Not sure I want to go that route, but any product feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

HenryA
01-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Fork mounts. I find them much easier to mount the bike on top of the car than any method keeping the wheel on the bike.

stien
01-16-2017, 07:05 AM
I'm a fan of keeping all the wheels on for no hassle. I loved the 1upusa racks I had. I wouldn't buy another roof rack mount though. I'm all about putting the bikes inside the car and would get a hitch rack if I found the need.

AJosiahK
01-16-2017, 07:37 AM
1upusa for sure

I've got both fork mounted and wheel clamp Thule bits, love the ease of not having to pull off the front wheel. I've got two bikes in the family that have generator systems so extra bits to deal with and in the cold no thanks.

Hitch mounted are much easier all around but leaves your fancy rack available for moronic drivers to damage when no bikes are on em.

Thule big mouths are great roof systems but kill gas mileage.

thirdgenbird
01-16-2017, 08:02 AM
If you are spending the money for Whispbars, don't spoil it with a big clunky bike mount. Get Rockymounts pitchfork/jetline fork mounts. The Rockymounts look like they are made for the Whispbars. The design and silver color match nicely.

I also prefer the fork mounts. They are stable, lower profile, and talking the front wheel off isn't a big deal.

YesNdeed
01-16-2017, 10:01 AM
A friend installed a 1UP USA hitch rack last year and he loves it. Very impressive craftsmanship too, I must say. Doesn't look like they make a fork mount roof add on, but another advantage of a wheels-on rack is their compatibility with thru axles. No adapter required. The Rocky Mounts stuff also looks great.

ceolwulf
01-16-2017, 11:28 AM
I use the Yakima Forklift fork-mount rack with my Whispbars. Works very well. I like how secure it is especially if you add the lock cylinder (a must-have, I would say). I haven't tried a wheel-on rack though.

Gummee
01-16-2017, 01:32 PM
and talking the front wheel off isn't a big deal.
This all depends on whether you have discs with thru axles or not.

Discs? Wheels on
Rim brakes? Wheels off

...and a hitch rack is mo bettah than a roof rack. I've got both and much prefer the hitch

HTH

M

stien
01-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Don't forget fenders. Gotta take wheel off for that scenario.

I vote the OP sells his current car and gets a bigger one :banana:

thirdgenbird
01-16-2017, 01:44 PM
This all depends on whether you have discs with thru axles or not.

True. A roadie in Iowa doesn't need discs. I barely need brakes.

...and a hitch rack is mo bettah than a roof rack. I've got both and much prefer the hitch

My greyhound disagrees. He won't hop into a hatch without clear access.

I would say hitch vs roof can also depend on the vehicle. A hitch can drag or hit the ground on some cars. It's also a non-starter on some models with a center exit exhaust. I am a roof rack guy but if I had a an awkward disc mtb or fatbike, I would probably look at a hitch rack. A roof rack is also more appealing if you have a factory roof rack. No added noise from clamps on the door jamb.

It's all preference based on your car, bikes, and intended usage.

AngryScientist
01-16-2017, 01:49 PM
i prefer fork mount racks personally. all i ride are rim braked road bikes with standard QR front wheels and no fenders, so my choice may be skewed if that were not the case. IMO rocky mounts pitchforks are some of the best roof bike holders ever made. dead simple, durable and relatively inexpensive. i've got thousand of miles logged with a bike on the roof with them now. nothing but good things to say.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-603KAXKZ_Xs/VWTAGj7efSI/AAAAAAAACDI/l11LJUJZuvU/s940/1.JPG

YesNdeed
01-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Don't forget fenders. Gotta take wheel off for that scenario.

I vote the OP sells his current car and gets a bigger one :banana:

I don't see fenders on any of my bikes in the foreseeable future, but good thing to factor in, nonetheless.

The rack will go on an Audi Avant, so most of the time a rack isn't necessary. But for road trips with the mates and the dog, it comes in very handy. Also for my 29er with a fussy thru axle. I've been using an old Thule roof setup, the fork mounts of which work, but are a PITA (and even more so with disc brakes), and sometimes get stuck, despite keeping them lubed. The newer ones work way better. I scored a pair of Whispbars for a steal, so I figure now is a good time to upgrade.

estilley
01-16-2017, 06:20 PM
If you want wheel on - rocky mounts brass knuckles! I use them on my whispbar and rip through the Columbia river gorge - doesn't even move with 40mph winds and traveling 75mph.

If you do go fork mount I would highly recommend rocky mounts jetline. Makes use of that great T-track in the whispbar.

But since you have mountain bikes - brass knuckles all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vientomas
01-16-2017, 06:31 PM
I have a friend who had his Fox fork tab break off when his mountain bike was mounted on a fork mounted roof rack. I don't know why it happened but the event has always made me leery of fork mounted roof racks. Perhaps the vehicle was being driven aggressively through tight twisties and the bike was getting tossed about? Dunno. Anyway...Kuat hitch mount for me.