PDA

View Full Version : OT: Portugal

johnmdesigner
01-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Anyone traveled to Lisbon?
Thinking about a trip in September - Fly to Lisbon, overnight train to Madrid, TGV train Madrid to Barcelona. Short day trips around all cities. 14 days total.
I know what to expect in Spain but closest I've been to Lisbon is my favorite Portuguese restaurant. Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

thwart
01-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Have done something similar, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, Porto...

Wonderful country.

If you're that close, try to get up to San Sebastián/Donostia. It will be worth the extra trouble.

Plum Hill
01-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Have a friend that left today to do the same type of trip.

dcgriz
01-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Was there last October for 4 days. Beautiful city. Found this to be accurate
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g189158-k39-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal.html

If you have extra time hire a guide to drive you to Cascais and Sintra. Worth the trip.

wc1934
01-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Vacationed in Portugal many years ago - on of my best vacations - rented a morris mini and toured the country - loved the Algarve.
The bullfight was AMAZING!!!! Took a side trip in Seville which was great too.
The art, food, wine, culture, museums, monuments, cathedrals and architecture. You will love it.
Only regret is that we didnt see a soccer match.

regularguy412
01-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Just watch out for the Spanish Beef!

(Sorry. Couldn't resist as it was the first thing I thot of when I read the thread title.

:D

Mike in AR:beer:

bigbill
01-14-2017, 07:14 PM
I visited several years ago. The food is wonderful, Portuguese is not Spanish even though they sound similar, and I like Sagres beer by the liter. Take the train out to Cascais, the ride is worth it.

jemoryl
01-14-2017, 07:17 PM
I've spent a bit of time in Portugal, mostly Lisbon and various points north to the Minho. Lovely country, found the language difficult but a lot of people speak English and are patient and helpful in trying to communicate. Central Lisbon basically breaks down into the Baixa, which is relatively flat, with the Barrio Alto up the hill on one side and Alfama, up the hill on the other side. Lots of nightlife, restaurants, etc in Barrio Alto, while Alfama is old, with narrow streets, the castle, cathedral - nice place to roam around. Be prepared to climb lots of hills (the famous no. 28 tram connects the Alfama with Barrio Alto). Depends on what you want to do, but there is plenty to see for a few days. Good public transport connections from the airport to the center via bus or metro (nice system). If you are thinking about cycling, I found Portuguese drivers to be a bit crazy, and would want to be outside a big city for road riding.

How does the overnight train to Madrid work? I've taken some trains in Portugal (Lisbon - Coimbra - Porto, and other shorter trips, e.g. Porto to Braga or Aveiro) and they were fine (and cheap if you book the right kind), but not super high speed. When I was there, public transportation between Spain and Portugal was surprisingly limited. Your trip sound like it covers a lot of distance for two weeks. Photo is a a view towards the Alfama (with the castle on the top) from Barrio Alto.

radsmd
01-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Perfect timing.

Planning a trip in April, actually attending a conference in Evora that includes afternoon cycling. Will be flying over there a week before the conference starts and spending a few days in Lisbon. Considering Porto for a few days as well. Will keep an eye on this thread.

R3awak3n
01-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Whatever you do, if you love cheese, meat and wine, visit my cousins wine bar in Lisbon

http://www.lisbonwinery.com/

The space is amazing, they have a 16th century water cistern, the wines are amazing and so is the food.

Portugal is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe (ok, its the most beautiful, but I am biased since thats where I was born and lived the first 15 years of my life, my whole family still lives there and I try to go back every year). The food is amazing, people are THE nicest. I saw in a couple of guides that it will be one of the most popular place to visit this coming year.

Make sure you have plenty of Pasteis de Nata (best paistry in the world) and plenty of Pao com Chorico (chorizo bread). Oh and of course bacalhau (cod fish, we prepare it 100s of different ways and always amazing). Anyways, if you have any question, PM me.

johnmdesigner
01-14-2017, 10:16 PM
I haven't fully investigated the overnight train but it indicated that berths were available. Takes about 9 hours.
Thanks everyone for the great info!

johnmdesigner
01-14-2017, 10:18 PM
Whatever you do, if you love cheese, meat and wine, visit my cousins wine bar in Lisbon

http://www.lisbonwinery.com/

The space is amazing, they have a 16th century water cistern, the wines are amazing and so is the food.

Portugal is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe (ok, its the most beautiful, but I am biased since thats where I was born and lived the first 15 years of my life, my whole family still lives there and I try to go back every year). The food is amazing, people are THE nicest. I saw in a couple of guides that it will be one of the most popular place to visit this coming year.

Make sure you have plenty of Pasteis de Nata (best paistry in the world) and plenty of Pao com Chorico (chorizo bread). Oh and of course bacalhau (cod fish, we prepare it 100s of different ways and always amazing). Anyways, if you have any question, PM me.

Oh thanks for this! My three favorite food groups!:D

johnmdesigner
01-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Overnight train information.

http://www.groundedtravel.com/routes/rail/europe/madrid-lisbon-lusitania-trainhotel-sleeper-train

There is a new fast train from Madrid to Barcelona in under 3 hours I believe.

bigman
01-14-2017, 11:15 PM
I just got back from Lisbon and Porto on the 2nd.
Was there with my wife and three daughters. First time i ever did air bnb, it was great!
Pm me for details.

livingminimal
01-15-2017, 09:44 AM
I went ten years ago. I loved it so so so much.
I once heard it compared to San Francisco. Totally agree. It's built on a series of hills next to the water and is its own little universe.

Try to find a little place to eat in the Baixa and see a Fado show.
Make sure you eat Pasteis de Belem. The monastery is pretty commercialized but cool.

The public transport is fun. The little rickety trains that get you up the hills are great.
It's a very slippery city. Lots of tile. If its raining, wear shows with good grippy rubbery soles.

You can speak a little Spanish to get by, but some folks may not be excited about it. Most important phrase to know is Bom Dia "good day"
I've heard Lisbon has been "discovered" by tourists now, but it would still be amazing. It may just mean more help or English speakers. We (one american and three brits) had a lot of issues communicating. Very few english speakers.
Lisbon's airport is cool and modern but a bit small.

Man, enjoy. Happy for you but really wish i could go back.

Spinner
01-15-2017, 10:22 AM
My wife and I spent a week in Lisbon followed by a week in Porto four years ago and we had a fabulous time. The food scene is tremendous and the wine is especially good. Lisbon is a great city to walk and as others have commented, public transportation is a real treat; you can get daily passes very cheap that are good for trams, busses and the subway. The people of Lisbon were especially hospitable; total strangers did us favors on multiple occasions.

Our visit to Portugal was my favorite vacation to date.

R3awak3n
01-15-2017, 10:55 AM
everything you guys are saying about Portugal is warming my heard!

on the subject of English. In Lisbon you won't have a problem, adventuring yourself to the inner country will be more of a problem. That said, and Lisbon is amazing, there is a lot of good stuff to see that a lot of people don't get to see.

There are amazing restaurants in tiny villages where you eat the best bacalhau and the best octopus but little money