PDA

View Full Version : New 2017 All-City Mr Pink with Whiskey carbon fork

Erik_A
01-14-2017, 02:29 PM
New 2017 All-City Mr Pink has Columbus Zona tubing, double-butted main triangle. The fork is now Whisky No. 7 Road Plus, clearing 32c tires. The paint is a Merckx homage to the classic Motorola Cycling Team.

http://theradavist.com/2017/01/the-2017-mr-pink-has-a-carbon-fork/

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/mr_pink

Cicli
01-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Thats really cool.

velotrack
01-14-2017, 02:43 PM
The road plus fork is 404g (claimed) and clears 32s on a mid-reach brake. It's a combo people have been using the longer wound up forks for... exciting stuff!

PJN
01-14-2017, 02:49 PM
No more fender mounts?

tuscanyswe
01-14-2017, 03:06 PM
A bike to clear 32s without fender mounts in 2017 dont really seem that thought through tbh. Does it really not have mounts?

velotrack
01-14-2017, 03:39 PM
No more fender mounts?

A bike to clear 32s without fender mounts in 2017 dont really seem that thought through tbh. Does it really not have mounts?

Looks like the ones are still on the frame (hidden behind the seatstays, if you look closely in the gallery here: http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/mr_pink) but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the fork (EDIT: see a few posts below, they are on the fork too).

Erik_A
01-14-2017, 03:52 PM
needs a little red paint around the bottom bracket at the seat and down-tubes; but even so - best Mr. Pink paint to date!

tuscanyswe
01-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Bit weird. Good looking bike. Just seem so obvious it should have fender mounts with those tire clearances in 2017, imo ofc.

mecse
01-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Bit weird. Good looking bike. Just seem so obvious it should have fender mounts with those tire clearances in 2017, imo ofc.

I have an older Mr Pink and it has fender mounts hidden on the inside of the frame. The Copy says:

It has clearance for 32c tires (28's w/fenders) for mixed-terrain riding, hidden fender mounts for foul-weather days and an ED coating for rust prevention and longevity.

tuscanyswe
01-14-2017, 04:17 PM
I have an older Mr Pink and it has fender mounts hidden on the inside of the frame. The Copy says:

Yeah i figured the frame did but the fork dident. But looks like that could be me living in the past and haven't seen these nice looking solutions available now to hide them on the fork too. I guess the fork uses something like below that i found on the whiskey website

Good on them and bad on me for doubting .)

http://whiskyparts.co/files/prod/no7_carbon_cx_fork_straight_canti_03.png

AJosiahK
01-14-2017, 04:21 PM
That looks awesome

Mikeys
01-14-2017, 04:22 PM

I believe the fork has threaded holes designed to receive fender mounts. Thread in the mount and then bolt the fender to that. Specialized uses them on their roubaix models. You can kind of see the holes in the second photo.

edit: you beat me to it

Mikeys
01-14-2017, 04:23 PM

mktng
01-14-2017, 04:53 PM
Definitely has front and rear fender mounts.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

jtbadge
01-14-2017, 05:01 PM
I won a 24hr test ride from my LBS that I will probably be cashing in next weekend. They made a handful of nice upgrades to the complete build, it looks great on the sales floor.

Verdict is out for me on the carbon fork - unpopular opinion, probably, but I liked the old one.

Can't wait to ride this.

commonguy001
01-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Saw one of these in the stand at Angry Catfish today. Can't justify another frameset but will probably pick up that road plus fork for one of my current bikes.

That fork would be money on my Vamoots and I could run 30-32mm tires on it and not screw up the geometry too much.

Big Dan
01-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Carbon fork?

I'm out.

Prefer the old one....size 55 maybe?

:eek:

gomango
01-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Saw one of these in the stand at Angry Catfish today. Can't justify another frameset but will probably pick up that road plus fork for one of my current bikes.

That fork would be money on my Vamoots and I could run 30-32mm tires on it and not screw up the geometry too much.

I'll swing over to AC tomorrow and take a look see.

The frameset looks like a beaut to my eyes.

Don't need another bike at the moment, but I could see building one of these if needed.

Luwabra
01-14-2017, 07:20 PM
I won a 24hr test ride from my LBS that I will probably be cashing in next weekend. They made a handful of nice upgrades to the complete build, it looks great on the sales floor.

Verdict is out for me on the carbon fork - unpopular opinion, probably, but I liked the old one.

Can't wait to ride this.

^ jt I'll trade you a pink steel one ;)

Ti_on_Steel
01-14-2017, 07:52 PM
A red King headset would balance the red toward the front of the bike and make it look a little more balanced. They said they made 30 of the new forks painted pink to go on old framesets, so get them while you can.

01-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Thought I'd just mention that I've had a couple All City frames (still have one) and I've been around a bunch of them that I've recommended for various purposes. I've heard a couple people say they had problems at shops with them, but I've never seen any reason not to like them. Compared to the other high-production frames one can get at that general level, these are less expensive and much better done. The rust control and painting is top notch. Everything's prepped very well and aligned properly. Having an internal top tube cable routing on most of the frames is a nice plus, as is proper reinforced bottle bosses. They are basic, traditional geometries and dimensions -- classic British bottom brackets, 27.2 mm seat posts, and the like. The first year of their disc brakes was a bit sketchy but they fixed that. And you can't beat the price. For a gravel bike you really don't have to worry about, or a winter training bike, whatever, they are a superb deal. One of mine was a Nature Boy that I fitted with MiniV's and a pair of 120mm-spaced track hubs with clinchers (had a local builder respace the rear end for $25) and was set up as a winter fixie with full fenders and room for 30 mm tires -- it also became a fun gravel bike. It was as close to zero maintenance as one could get (Phil bottom bracket, some old DA 7600 track cranks, Phil hubs, Paul brakes, TRP drilled levers). I don't have any connection to All City; just want to say that these have done really well for a lot of people and as much as they are on the heavy side, they aren't pretentious and don't try to be. They also are bikes you can throw around and ride to death and simply have a lot of fun, training, and racing on. It's nice at times to ride a bike where you only worry about yourself if you slide out on some gravel or worry about whether to go out on a rainy training ride.

adamhell
01-15-2017, 03:13 PM
i wish all city would stray from the primary colors more. but otherwise it's a cool bike. i prefer the pink tho, especially cause it's called mr PINK

sandyrs
01-17-2017, 08:35 AM
just bought one of these

AngryScientist
01-17-2017, 08:45 AM
good move Sandy.

very versatile bike.

commonguy001
01-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Great Score!

:beer:

ColonelJLloyd
01-17-2017, 09:40 AM
This frame fits 700x32 with short reach calipers? Or are the spec'd Rival calipers not your normal short reach caliper?

jtbadge
01-17-2017, 09:41 AM
This frame fits 700x32 with short reach calipers? Or are the spec'd Rival calipers not your normal short reach caliper?

They come with Tektro R539 mid-reach calipers. You can fit some narrow 35s, even, e.g. Panaracers.

MattTuck
01-17-2017, 09:42 AM
just bought one of these

I thought you were space constrained in your place.... did you move?

estilley
01-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Had a laugh this morning when I saw this...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/7371f4133263e70f08e7e515bdae8f43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
01-17-2017, 09:49 AM
They come with Tektro R539 mid-reach calipers. You can fit some narrow 35s, even, e.g. Panaracers.

Thanks. My bad. It's on the website I did not visit.

sandyrs
01-17-2017, 09:55 AM
I thought you were space constrained in your place.... did you move?

I did move in August to a place with a nice big, scary basement, but I'm still trying to unload a couple bikes at the moment. I'm moving the parts from the Spooky to the All-City.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2109890

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=199060

chiasticon
01-17-2017, 11:02 AM
... It's nice at times to ride a bike where you only worry about yourself if you slide out on some gravel or worry about whether to go out on a rainy training ride.echo all of what's said in your post. AC make great bikes. very similar to Surly (well, they're both owned by QBP right? so prolly made in the same factory, side by side) in that they're well thought out, practical and won't break the bank. AC is just a little more hipster than the crusty hippie punk that Surly is. (not that either is a bad thing.)

weisan
01-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Just saw one at a local shop.
They looked really nice.

$2200
52 cm

Can ship anywhere within US.

Luwabra
01-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Gd I want that fork in pink.

bmeryman
01-17-2017, 04:30 PM
That's a biiiiiig Big Block behind the Mr. Pink. I really want to see one of the new ones in person.

thirdgenbird
01-17-2017, 06:26 PM

If matte black isn't acceptable, I guess you could have it painted:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/01/17/whisky-no-7-rd-fork-provides-option-straight-steerer-rim-brake-650b-road-plus/

jtbadge
01-17-2017, 06:28 PM

You should call your QBP dealer ASAP. I think I read that they are only making 50.

Pelican
01-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Just saw one at a local shop.
They looked really nice.

$2200
52 cm

Can ship anywhere within US.

Geez, at that price I can ship you my genuine Motorola Merckx with Record carbon. Sorry to derail the All-City love train, but I don't get who this bike is made for. Homage racing livery, but with fenders, fat tires and long-reach brakes.

Trying to hit all the niches at once I guess?

ColonelJLloyd
01-17-2017, 06:41 PM
You should call your QBP dealer ASAP. I think I read that they are only making 50.

I'm not sure, but I would think Whisky would produce a black, not-All City version.

thirdgenbird
01-17-2017, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure, but I would think Whisky would produce a black, not-All City version.

See above ;)

charliedid
01-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Great looking bikes for sure. Even I like that retro paint job...

They made more than 50 but they are certainly limited. Some sizes are currently out of stock.

jtbadge
01-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Great looking bikes for sure. Even I like that retro paint job...

They made more than 50 but they are certainly limited. Some sizes are currently out of stock.

The quantity I quoted was definitely referring specifically to the small run of Whisky forks painted to match the 2016 pink Mr. Pink, not the standard black version, which will presumably be produced in much greater numbers.

charliedid
01-17-2017, 07:20 PM
The quantity I quoted was definitely referring specifically to the small run of Whisky forks painted to match the 2016 pink Mr. Pink, not the standard black version, which will presumably be produced in much greater numbers.

Ah, forgive me...I was under the impression we are talking about bikes not just the fork itself.

Must be the drugs I am on. :-)

sandyrs
01-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Geez, at that price I can ship you my genuine Motorola Merckx with Record carbon. Sorry to derail the All-City love train, but I don't get who this bike is made for. Homage racing livery, but with fenders, fat tires and long-reach brakes.

The paint's just a fun add-on. I don't get why people harp on the long reach brakes. They're easy to find and work as well as short reach despite Jan Heine's insistence to the contrary :). So it's just a nicely tubed, reasonably affordable steel road bike with geometry that works for me (rare). I can't afford a hampsten strada bianca, so this is the next best option! Oh, and I'll have it later this week instead of several months/years from now like a custom. I feel like the appeal on these bikes is actually pretty broad among non-racer (and even probably some hobby racers)s who see bikes more as tools than collectibles.

thirdgenbird
01-17-2017, 07:55 PM
I agree. It is a great tool bike. I love my somewhat similar singular osprey. For normal road riding, I really couldn't ask for better.

As much as a like steel forks, the carbon one cuts a good deal of weight. I would happily own one with a sensible campag build. Maybe chorus levers and cranks with potenza derailleurs and cassette.

jtbadge
01-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Above posters nailed it. It's a really practical bike that is fun to ride and can handle anything you throw at it.

I agree. It is a great tool bike. I love my somewhat similar singular osprey. For normal road riding, I really couldn't ask for better.

As much as a like steel forks, the carbon one cuts a good deal of weight. I would happily own one with a sensible campag build. Maybe chorus levers and cranks with potenza derailleurs and cassette.

Angry Catfish (https://www.facebook.com/angrycatfish/posts/10154908022916506) put together a really nice silver build with Athena, Ritchey Classic, and White Industries hubs:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15977401_10154908018131506_3906222426620247037_n.j pg?oh=ce0e39f23f81f652f0ae72aeb11b6dc4&oe=5910161A

thirdgenbird
01-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Wow, that is a hottie. Nicely done ACB.

Edit:
Wait, those are not just WI hubs, those appear to be racer hubs. Want...

gomango
01-17-2017, 08:54 PM
Wow, that is a hottie. Nicely done ACB.

Edit:
Wait, those are not just WI hubs, those appear to be racer hubs. Want...

Every time I walk in there they have something cookin.

They had an amazing Nature Boy the other day as well.

01-17-2017, 09:41 PM

Hey, I have an All City leaning against the wall right next to a Crumpton. I can rock the Crumpton any day, but we have lots of nice smooth, flat, dirt roads around here and that Nature Boy is a great bike when I'm just out to have a fun training ride, work hard, and not be worried about chewing up an expensive frame or components. Mine is pretty dressed up, but it's done so to make it nice and bulletproof (Phil hubs and bottom bracket, fixed gear, alloy bars, a nice old Turbomatic. I can even switch out to a flat bar if I want a bike to ride to the gym and back with a backpack full of lifting gear, without feeling like I did something bad.

The Eddy Mr. Pink is a bit overpriced, in my mind. Consider that you can get a CAAD12 Ultegra for the same price. But I do have to say that after owning so many high end bikes for so many years, a CAAD12 Ultegra or a Mr. Pink just means I don't worry if I leave it outside the 7-11 when I go in for a drink, don't worry if I'm on a long dirt road and it starts to drizzle, and I don't have to miss a rainy-day training ride.

papalok
01-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Box Dog Bikes with a black build.
https://flic.kr/p/Q6raHY