PDA

View Full Version : Travel Bike wheels?

AngryScientist
01-13-2017, 07:08 PM
So - if you were starting from scratch and had an S&S coupled bike - what wheels would you choose for travelling?

My chopped Serotta will definitely be doing some travelling this year, and i've flown with it before, with 32 spoke handbuilts - and I cant help but thinking some lower spoke count wheels would aid in the packing with a little more "open area" - but obviously i still want very durable, field repairable wheels.

what do you think for a 135# rider, mostly road but with some potential gravel typed stuff (bike will fit a 27c tire max...ish...)

also - the couple times i've traveled with the bike, i used a home brew cardboard box, i think i might want to do a real travel case - other than the uber essspensive S&S case - any other favorites for bike travel?

AngryScientist
01-13-2017, 07:12 PM
here's the old lady by the way...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AjZ_r8y9UE8/UxO4wQa3YrI/AAAAAAAABho/zrpyRUpDB_g/s1100/IMG_1544.JPG

pdmtong
01-13-2017, 07:25 PM
1550g kysrium elite.
low spoke count.
cheap.
bombproof.
many local shops can repair.
not necessarily field repairable.

yes, I know many dont care for the hubs but for travel nbd. can be found used <$300. I raced CX with mine...

regularguy412
01-13-2017, 07:36 PM
1550g kysrium elite.
low spoke count.
cheap.
bombproof.

yes, I know many dont care for the hubs but for travel nbd. can be found used <$300. I raced CX with mine...

+1 on these. I'm still riding the front wheel on my set from 2010. Back wheel got trashed in an incident with a mini van in 2012. No problems with either hub. Nary a whimper.

Mike in AR:beer:

simonov
01-13-2017, 07:55 PM
If you're sticking to the road you could do a 20/24 HED Belgium laced to your preferred hubs. Strong, durable, great ride, and plenty of space between spokes for packing. If you'll go off road and want some more confidence, bump them up to 24/28. A little harder to pack, but still very manageable and durable enough to handle rides like D2R2 without issue.

PaMtbRider
01-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Fulcrum Racing Zero 3. They can be had relatively cheaply, are fairly light and plenty strong.

Mzilliox
01-13-2017, 08:20 PM
the ones in the picture... neutrons. that or my heds

572cv
01-13-2017, 08:42 PM
When I got a coupled bike, I also got the S&S case, and have only brought wheels appropriate to the trip and not worried about it otherwise. So, if you can spring for a case, you can use whatever wheels you have. The ones in the picture.... fine. My last trip called for the Dura Ace c-24s. No problem.

That looks like a fine ol Serotta! love that particular hot fade!

old fat man
01-13-2017, 08:52 PM
I have a 60cm Ritchey CX breakaway. The only travel related damage I've had was a broken spoke on some older Easton Vista wheels. Luckily they were J bend and I found a replacement at an LBS in CA. I'd say most important is to pick a wheelset with easy to replace J bend spokes. I would steer clear of any Fulcrum or Mavic proprietary spoke options.

I have a big frame so the Ritchey suitcase thing is good for me. I can't imagine trying to fit a bike into the S and S case. I had to do it a few times when I worked at Seven and it was a nightmare. I'm sure you get better at it with practice and with a smaller frame, it's not as bad, but I can't see any reason not to choose the slightly more forgiving Ritchey case.

kramnnim
01-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Last time I took some old Rolf Vector Pros with the silly paired spokes. Big gaps between the spokes, it's nice. And the DT Swiss design hub...I pulled off the cassette/freehub body/end cap, which made the hub narrower and I didn't have to worry about things getting chewed up by the sprocket teeth.

(I'm using a generic S&S sized case)

weisan
01-13-2017, 09:29 PM
I guess I got lucky, the last three times that I traveled with my breakaway bike, I borrowed a set of shimano 9-speed compatible wheels with forum pals when I got to my destination. Man, that saves a ton of space and weight on my breakaway soft case.

dcgriz
01-13-2017, 09:50 PM
So - if you were starting from scratch and had an S&S coupled bike - what wheels would you choose for travelling?

My chopped Serotta will definitely be doing some travelling this year, and i've flown with it before, with 32 spoke handbuilts - and I cant help but thinking some lower spoke count wheels would aid in the packing with a little more "open area" - but obviously i still want very durable, field repairable wheels.

what do you think for a 135# rider, mostly road but with some potential gravel typed stuff (bike will fit a 27c tire max...ish...)

also - the couple times i've traveled with the bike, i used a home brew cardboard box, i think i might want to do a real travel case - other than the uber essspensive S&S case - any other favorites for bike travel?

Considering your 135# weight the temptation may be for an extra light weight rim and that would have been fine if loss of spoke tension due to tire fitment/inflation was not a factor. However, it appears that this is reality and more so for certain rims-tire combinations. IMO, this is not a desired attribute, specially for a traveling wheelset.

My suggestion for a prudent wheelset would be to use a mid depth rim at the 460-480 grams range, 23x24x17 like the HED C2, strong enough not to suffer from the loss tension syndrome. Laced 20x24 or 20x28 or 24x28 depending on anticipated tarmac, your generated power and your pedaling style. Double butted spokes with 1.5-1.7 mid-section and the hub of your choice.

This would make for a wheelset with balanced performance and durability and the added benefit of being readily repairable at most bike shops with wheel building capabilities.

bigbill
01-13-2017, 10:22 PM
When I've traveled with my hard case and a road bike, I've taken 32 spoke wheels with the thought that most shops could repair them. After riding a set of Zondas for the last 9 years, a low spoke wheelset can be very durable and completely hassle free.

oldpotatoe
01-14-2017, 05:36 AM

Decent rim(not dum light), correct spokes(Sapim Race or DT Comp), built well, sure a lower spoke count wheel.

Like 20/24 or 24/28 Archetypes for your 135# 'package'..ya know what I mean. :D:rolleyes:

BUT I'd be careful of any 'wheelouttabox', since you are traveling, and somehow the wheel get munched, finding that kry-for-me-sirium, Fulcrum, Campag, shimano, etc, spoke 'may' be tough or impossible.

Hilltopperny
01-14-2017, 05:54 AM
I have a set of mavic 20/24 spoke box section handbuilts with your name on them. 8/9/10spd freewheel without many miles that will definitely suit your needs and budget! Bombproof, normal spokes and cheap!:beer:

Bob Ross
01-14-2017, 09:21 AM
1550g kysrium elite.
low spoke count.
cheap.
bombproof.

^^^This was my thought exactly.

You want something w/ the low spoke count so it's easy to thread the bars through them or stuff things down into the more secure areas of the case after the frame is packed.

You want something cheap because no matter how careful you (or TSA) are, something's gonna get scratched, bent, or irreparably damaged.

You want something bombproof because scratched or bent shouldn't stop you from riding.

The "not necessarily field repairable" and "many [but not all] local shops can repair" points are definitely worth considering though...perhaps less so if you're travelling to, say, California, moreso if you're cycling in Takministan.

VTCaraco
01-14-2017, 10:53 AM
We had Zondas for my bike and a similar set of the Rolfs as mentioned above. I loved the flexibility in working handlebars and such through the spaces...until I broke a spoke on the Rolfs.
We were just outside of Amsterdam and had a very kind, no-nonsense shop that was able to get us fully operational, but he didn't even try to spec the "right" spoke.

Since then, I've had a Campy wheel break some spokes and opted to have that wheel completely rebuilt; and henceforth will steer clear of the propriety stuff.

I still have one set of Campy wheels, but the rest are handbuilts (from Echelon John) and I look forward to putting the sets for the travel-bikes to use. Threading everything in might be a little more challenging, but I think that the trade off is worth it.

As others have mentioned, I didn't go high-zoot with these. Kinlin rims (from when they were blowing those out a few years back) and Novatec hubs for me with A23 and Miche hubs for the Mrs. But that oh-so-sweet handbuilt tuned-to-the-rider feel and the peace of mind of knowing that everything was put together right and can be repaired and virtually ANY shop means more to me than the slight upgrade in packing flexibility.

Hindmost
01-14-2017, 11:00 AM
...I've taken 32 spoke wheels with the thought that most shops could repair them...

And 3x and a garden-variety rim. Reduces the chance that mishandling will result in a non-rideable wheel. Increases the reparability on the road. And then again maybe nothing adverse will occur.

dcgriz
01-14-2017, 11:39 AM
And 3x and a garden-variety rim. Reduces the chance that mishandling will result in a non-rideable wheel. Increases the reparability on the road. And then again maybe nothing adverse will occur.

Repair ability is predominantly about the spokes used than anything else on the wheel. The lacing pattern, whether 3x, 2x or whatever does not play too much of a hindrance. Using readily available spokes with j-bends makes the replacement easier.
If the rim develops cracks then it is beyond repair anyway so a garden-variety rim choice is not that material. Picking a rim of a reasonable weight and not sub-450 gram goes a long way in avoiding rim cracks and is more important.

Kirk007
01-14-2017, 12:36 PM
I've traveled for 10 years with an S&S bike, most of that time with Campy protons. The low spoke count makes it easier to get the handlebars packed; the protons have been super durable, have external nipples (more easily trued than some Campy wheels) and I carry a spare spoke kit. These wheels also traveled to France for a three week trip. Never had an issue.

Certainly get the peace of mind with 32 spoke handbuilt but I wouldn't shy away from something a good factory wheel as long as you are prepared for an unforseen problem.

kokies
01-14-2017, 01:41 PM
I recently started using a travel bike as well and if I needed new wheels I would look into hub options where the cassette/hub body can come off without tools. The way my frame packs up this would be a huge help.

This post talks about some options.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/archive/index.php/t-172993.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donevwil
01-14-2017, 01:49 PM
I recently started using a travel bike as well and if I needed new wheels I would look into hub options where the cassette/hub body can come off without tools. The way my frame packs up this would be a huge help.

This post talks about some options.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/archive/index.php/t-172993.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easily removable freehub/cassette/axle were a necessity in getting my Potts in a 10" case. Granted my bike is much larger than Angry's so I doubt he'd see the same benefit. You may want to consider the Ritchey Zeta family of wheelsets, they are easily disassembled specifically for travel. I had Ol' Potatoe build be me a rear using the VO Hi-Lo hub that easily pops apart as well.

Lovetoclimb
01-14-2017, 05:00 PM
I use 32 spoke handbuilts with my travel bike but they've also had some damage from travels. Because of that using lower cost rims (h plus son, velocity a23, and the like) is preferable to say a HED Belgium.

If I had a pair of Zondas or older Neutrons still those may be ideal candidates. But I like knowing any decent shop can repair my wheels within 30 minutes if it came to it.

Lovetoclimb
01-14-2017, 05:01 PM
I use 32 spoke handbuilts (campy hubs) with my travel bike but they've also had some damage from travels. Because of that using lower cost rims (h plus son, velocity a23, and the like) is preferable to say a HED Belgium.

If I had a pair of Zondas or older Neutrons still those may be ideal candidates. But I like knowing any decent shop can repair my wheels within 30 minutes if it came to it.

simonov
01-15-2017, 04:08 AM
I use 32 spoke handbuilts with my travel bike but they've also had some damage from travels. Because of that using lower cost rims (h plus son, velocity a23, and the like) is preferable to say a HED Belgium.

When I was getting my travel bike wheels the wheelbuilder I used said the HEDs were a stronger rim and would ultimately be more durable and build a better wheel even at lower spoke counts. I may have bought a lie and just got upsold...but the 18/24 spoke HEDs have survived about 7 years of regular travel (packing) and regular service while at home without needing to be touched. So I'd add to the above, if this is true, the HEDs may be worth the extra money. If it's bs and HEDs are no stronger than the velocity or h plus son options, the above advice is the way to go. While my wheels are functionally perfect, the finish shows a lot of wear and tear from packing and travel.

CaptStash
01-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Nic buddy, I think you are overthinking this. At last count, my bike had gone for over fifty plane rides with no damage. I use Dura Ace 7800 wheels (and weigh about 175 on average). Those are low spoke count wheels for sure. My bike is a 57 and fits fine in the S & S case. I highly recommend the hard case. I don't do a net or any of that fiddle-de-dee and folderol, and even find room for a smallish floorpump. The only thing that doesn't fit is my helmet.

With all that said, I like the idea of either a lower spoke count Campy wheelset, or your average everyday used Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL's. they can be had for $300 all day long and are bulletproof. If I've never had a problem with my DA's, you'll be fine on Ksyriums with those monstrous aluminum spokes and your teeny tiny mass.

CaptStash....

AngryScientist
03-10-2017, 05:07 PM
boom. older ksyriums. no problem-O

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lYwma6ddL8U/WMMvr46wUxI/AAAAAAAACvE/FwzeuPXO8F0wYfnXjj68p18QjKH4ogssgCLcB/s1200/IMG_0224.JPG

shovelhd
03-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Nice! I'm going to keep my 6800 wheels for now and save up for that Ritchey hubset.

Dromen
03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
+1 for excellent packing wheelset. Shown with 28mm Gators.

hokoman
03-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Your pack job looks so much cleaner than mine... but I usually wrap my misc stuff with cardboard and saran wrap it (pedals, chain, tools) and throw it in the case -

Anyhow, I was looking at zinn's s and s stems online the other night and thought "how easy would it be if someone made a cheaper steel version?"... I would probably get one. Removing 4 bolts and then putting them back to ship, then remove, etc. is a PITA.

carpediemracing
03-10-2017, 08:56 PM
the 18/24 spoke HEDs have survived about 7 years of regular travel (packing) and regular service while at home

Note: all travel done with a soft case, not an S&S thing.

I got Bastogne wheels (the cheapest 18/24 wheelset sold by HED in 2010). Traveled with it 5 times in 2010-2011. Last couple trips I double packed it with Jet 6/9s, meaning the Bastognes on one side, the Jets on the other. I've weighted up to 185 lbs on those wheels, I enjoy a good sprint, and they've been fine for me. I'm looking to change only to get a wider rim that will match my HED Stinger wheel widths.

The Campy Eurus with steel spokes (or similar whatever with steel spokes nowadays) I traveled with fine, and I rode them at weights as high as 195-200 lbs. Phenomenal wheels, I got them in maybe 2004 and they're still in use under a (now-former) teammate. I think Zondas would be similar.

For servicing I'd buy a few extra spokes and tape them to something, floor pump or, if ambitious, maybe the chainstay.

weisan
03-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Very clean job, angry pal.

The first rule for any travel bike - you must not cry when it get scratched up.

;)