PDA

View Full Version : Does a Nexus 3 speed hub with coaster brake work with chain tensioner?

sowestport
01-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Folks, I'm trying to setup my old mtb frame with standard mtb dropouts from the 90's with the internal 3 speed hub by Nexus. It comes with a coaster brake, so I'm wondering if the chain tensioner will interfere with the coaster brake?

If this works, there's only one cable for shifting. I think it would look nice and clean.

Mark McM
01-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Folks, I'm trying to setup my old mtb frame with standard mtb dropouts from the 90's with the internal 3 speed hub by Nexus. It comes with a coaster brake, so I'm wondering if the chain tensioner will interfere with the coaster brake?

If this works, there's only one cable for shifting. I think it would look nice and clean.

Bad idea.

A chain tensioner only takes up the slack in the bottom run of the chain. During pedaling, the top run of chain is taut (from pedal forces), and the bottom run of the chain is slack, so you need a chain tensioner to keep enough tension on the bottom run to keep the bottom run of chain from falling off the sprocket.

When you apply back pressure to brake, the bottom run of the chain is taut (from the back pressure) and the top run of the chain becomes slack. The slack top run of the chain may easily fall off the sprocket/chainring - and the last thing you want when you need to slow down is to lose the brake because the chain fell off.

smontanaro
01-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Probably better off sizing the chain properly, with a half link if necessary.

Cicli
01-14-2017, 08:48 AM
A coaster brake will likely rip the tensioner off the frame during braking.

palincss
01-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Given how ineffective coaster brakes are, I suspect you'd be better off just leaving the brake off and using two rim brakes instead.