PDA

View Full Version : OT: Headlight for trail running?

AngryScientist
01-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Anyone have a recommendation for a running friendly headlamp?

I've been running more lately, and on the rare warm evenings it might be nice to do some trail running at a local trail, but i would obviously need some light as it still gets dark so early?

something that doesnt bounce around too much?

gdw
01-11-2017, 09:36 AM
How long are your runs and are the trails you train on smooth or uneven?

AngryScientist
01-11-2017, 09:38 AM
about an hour, 1.5 hours max.

it's a real trail, so uneven terrain, roots, rocks, etc.

Dirtdiggler
01-11-2017, 09:49 AM
I wear a Petzl headlamp and take along my Cygolite 850 headlamp for added light.
I also wear a reflective vest and blinky light for trail and road.

gdw
01-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Outdoorgearlab.com has a good evaluation of some of the current led models that might be useful. I've used some of the stronger 50+ lumen models from Princeton Tec, Vizz and Apex, and found them adequate. They eat batteries when run at full power so you'll need to order some rechargeables to use with them.

I just ordered a USB rechargeable Nitecore NU20. It's designed for runners and is powerful, lightweight, and compact. The listed runtimes are exaggerated but it should be adequate for an hour to hour and a half workout.

chiasticon
01-11-2017, 10:18 AM
recently picked up the light and motion vis 360 to augment my night riding setup. they make a version with the same front light that I think would be plenty. called the Solite. kinda spendy though, at $150-ish.

jghall
01-11-2017, 10:18 AM
To each their own, but I prefer vests over headlamps. I also carry smaller bike light in my hand.

Tony T
01-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Would any light allow you to see rocks and roots while running?

p nut
01-11-2017, 10:25 AM
I've used a Blackdiamond Spot for a few years. Last year, it broke. Not the fault of product, since my 4 year old decided to see how far it would bend. The hinge/ratchet part that holds the light at a certain angle busted. I called them up to see if I could buy that part. They sent me one for free. Unfortunately, since mine was so old, it didn't fit. When I asked to see if they had the correct part in stock, they said no, but "we'll send you a brand new light, on us!" I refused, since it was 100% my fault, but they sent it anyway. So I've got to give my kudos to them.

The new light is so much brighter and uses triple A batteries. I'm not fond of rechargeables, since I can carry spare batteries without worrying about battery life. It's also light enough, it doesn't bounce much or at all. I normally run on trails, so things get jostled around quite a bit, but the light stays put.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/headlamps-and-lanterns/spot-headlamp-BD620621_cfg.html#q=Lighting+%2F+Headlamps&start=2

Dirtdiggler
01-11-2017, 10:39 AM
The Petzl Reactik+ is their rechargeable and Bluetooth with apps smart headlamp, but pricey at 110.00 bucks. Probably my next set up once I spot one on sale.

feFIFO
01-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Black Diamond Sprinter. Incorporates a red blinky at the back of the head, which is useful for early AM/late PM road runs.

93legendti
01-11-2017, 12:55 PM
I use headlamps to walk the dog at light. Last week I spotted a skunk 15 or so feet in front of us. Without the headlamp it would have been a disaster.

I just exchanged my Petzel Actik for a Black Diamond Storm (250 lumen model). The Petzel is allegedly 300 lumen and it was garbage. I took it back to REI and compared it in a dark room to the Black Diamond and it was no contest. The Petzel barely emits any light.

My wife found me some 400 lumen headlamps from Home Depot and they are heavier, but really bright.

pinoymamba
01-11-2017, 01:04 PM
http://running.competitor.com/files/2014/11/Light-Motion-360+-headlamp.jpg

+1 for light and motion. i have this as a helmet version.

gdw
01-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Black Diamond has their 2016 Sprinters on sale for $59.96 in their outlet. The 2017 models are more powerful but the 2016 are more than adequate for most runners.

AngryScientist
01-11-2017, 02:36 PM
thanks folks. i have a credit at REI and i'm going to run over there tonight and see what they have based on these recommendations.

nmrt
01-11-2017, 03:14 PM
+1 on black diamond storm.
And to boot they have just super customer service. i had a 2011 storm on which the swivel broke a few months later. i called them and they sent me a brandspankin' new storm free of charge. they also let me keep the older storm.

dalava
01-11-2017, 04:23 PM
I like Knuckle Lights, the new rechargeable ones. You have more control on where the lights point to.

ojingoh
01-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Curious if any of you have tried the orfos lights, and if the new one makes sense.

https://www.orfos.us/pages/flarepro

Gummee
01-11-2017, 04:42 PM
To each their own, but I prefer vests over headlamps. I also carry smaller bike light in my hand.

This

Headlights alone cast shadows directly in line with your eyes. Makes telling how big things are tough.

AMHIK

M

SpeedyChix
01-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Been using one of the Fenix HL30 Headlamps. Great for running, xc skiing and working around the house and yard.

douglas
01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
I just got a Fenix HL60R that is very bright. It has a number of settings and battery life depends on the brightness setting you choose. I walked the dog last night on a middle setting and it was plenty bright enough to run with. I believe I could use it to ride my mountain bike. It's rechargeable via usb and not too expensive. It's heavier than a Petzl I have, but much brighter.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Anyone have a recommendation for a running friendly headlamp?

I've been running more lately, and on the rare warm evenings it might be nice to do some trail running at a local trail, but i would obviously need some light as it still gets dark so early?

something that doesnt bounce around too much?

Just make sure you have the proper Groad shoes..:eek:

shovelhd
01-12-2017, 04:22 PM
I just got a Fenix HL60R that is very bright. It has a number of settings and battery life depends on the brightness setting you choose. I walked the dog last night on a middle setting and it was plenty bright enough to run with. I believe I could use it to ride my mountain bike. It's rechargeable via usb and not too expensive. It's heavier than a Petzl I have, but much brighter.

I don't run (God forbid) but I use a Fenix HL23 for when I'm officiating night races. I really like the locking tilt feature.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fenix-HL-150-Lumens-AA-Battery-Powered-LED-Headlamp-HL23-G2R5-GO/206346628?keyword=fenix+hl23

MrDangerPants
01-12-2017, 04:55 PM
I have a Petzl Zipka, an obsolete rechargeable version, and it's good for running. I'm not a trail runner but I imagine it might be okay for that too.

efaust_o
01-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Black Diamond has their 2016 Sprinters on sale for $59.96 in their outlet. The 2017 models are more powerful but the 2016 are more than adequate for most runners.

THIS....I got one too...

blantonator
01-12-2017, 05:53 PM
http://www.zebralight.com/H600F-Mk-III-XHP35-Floody-Cool-White-18650-Headlamp_p_185.html

1200 lumens is what i use.

Kirk007
01-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Would any light allow you to see rocks and roots while running?

yes, the Light and Motion Solite can practically light up a football field - it is really really bright. The beam isn't real narrow and on the high setting I suspect it will blind anyone coming the other way but it will show the trail and everything in the bushes for quite a ways out. Its really good for places like Africa where you want to know what's lurking in the bushes (I suppose the same concerns can hold true in any major urban area - just a different type of animal). It also has a bike helmet mount and in the winter I carry it in my bag as an emergency back up. the downside is the cost, but I've had mine for 3-4 years now. It is rock solid. I've had other headlamps with much lower performance crap out on me in much shorter time periods

RobJ
01-16-2017, 01:11 PM
I have the Petzl Tikka RXP. This is the model with the reactive lighting and let me say, that is one feature/function that really works. Saves on batteries but also avoids blinding others. Tons of features on the unit too. Multiple different modes. Can program it via software, USB rechargeable/replaceable battery, bright: up to 215 lumens and 110m coverage etc.. I used it for running, camping, walking the dog, working on the bike etc. The reactive lighting is quite nice.

Keith A
01-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Just wanted to share a positive experience with Princeton Tec. I have one that runs on regular batteries and the switch stop working. I contacted Princeton Tec and they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked. I certainly would consider purchasing from them again.

CunegoFan
01-16-2017, 03:08 PM
about an hour, 1.5 hours max.

All my running headlamps are LED lamps from Black Diamond. They work really well. I have found that for all-nighters trying to use just a headlamp bothers my eyes after a while; I think it has something to do with the light coming, essentialy, right from my eyes, making it hard to see variations in the trail. So in addition to the headlamp, get a small, really bright non-LED handheld light, like a Princeton Tec. Holding that light down lower creates shadows. It also allows you to throw light independent of where your head is pointed. When going up hill or on smooth train, you can turn the hand light off to save batteries.

For emergency, I usually keep a tiny single AA battery LED light with a crazy burn time, like ninety hours, in a side pocket of my dual or single bottle fanny packs, even when I expect to be back before dark. It has saved my butt a number of times.