PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 chainring on a Road Crank?

Lewis Moon
01-10-2017, 09:18 AM
How much thicker is a 1/8 chainring at the bolt holes than a regular 6 speed ring? I'm getting a track bike fitted with an old set of Superbe road cranks and I'd like to get a smaller chainring. I was hoping to move to 1/8 so that the ring would fit a set of track cranks when (finally) I get them.

sandyrs
01-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Aren't most track cranks 144 bcd, so the chainring wouldn't fit both road and track either way? Or am I woefully misinformed about that older crank?

Lewis Moon
01-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Aren't most track cranks 144 bcd, so the chainring wouldn't fit both road and track either way? Or am I woefully misinformed about that older crank?

The Superbe is 144 (http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=da6cffb8-d433-4550-87b6-2d90253b38d4&Enum=115) if I'm not mistaken.

oldpotatoe
01-10-2017, 09:32 AM
How much thicker is a 1/8 chainring at the bolt holes than a regular 6 speed ring? I'm getting a track bike fitted with an old set of Superbe road cranks and I'd like to get a smaller chainring. I was hoping to move to 1/8 so that the ring would fit a set of track cranks when (finally) I get them.

Not any thicker at the spider of the CR..plug and play.

Lewis Moon
01-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Not any thicker at the spider of the CR..plug and play.

Exactly the info I needed. Albert Spudstein delivers again.

01-10-2017, 11:25 AM
With the Superbe you're good to go. Get a 144 BCD ring and you'll be fine. You can get very nice and very inexpensive ones in smaller tooth sizes (down to 42). I have a couple Genetic Tibia ones that were like $29 apiece postpaid and are nice 7075 alloy, round, good machining, and great anodization. And they're 1/8". If you go 3/32", you'll hear a little more noise but not much, but you may find the teeth are shallower than on 1/8" (road rings have developed shallower teeth to make it easier to shift, while track rings tend to have a rather higher profile). With smaller chainrings those shallower teeth not only wear faster but also can be more prone to derailing if you don't have it set up right. So my suggestion is still to get a basic 1/8" ring (I think the Genetic Tibia is the best ring I've found by many measure in a smaller tooth count, but even an FSA track ring in smaller sizes can be found on eBay for $29-35). You won't kill yourself by using a 3/32 ring, but the 1/8" has some advantages.

ultraman6970
01-10-2017, 11:40 AM
My advice? dont be anal with the thickness of the chanrings teeth because if you use a 1/8 chain you will be able to run thin and thick cogs and chainrings w/o any problem. Any combination, chainrings or cogs, just use a 1/8 chain all the time and you will be good to go. That was my set up when I was racing track then u dont have worry about anything, just put the wheel (in case of a puncture in a race) the team has in hand and good to go. If you run road chain and the wheel has a 1/8 cog it wont fit, better play safe. Besides I dont see when 1/8 chains will be eliminated ever.

If the chainline is off for 1 or 2 mm is not like a big deal either, just dont be anal with it.

Good luck with the bike :)

Lewis Moon
01-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks all!
I just ordered a nice NJS Dura Ace 50. I'll start a cog collection soon.