PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go during Spring Break 2017?

weisan
01-10-2017, 06:11 AM
So, this year during Spring Break, the rest of the family have decided to go on a road trip to St Louis on their own and leaving me behind ...:o

Instead of drowning in self-pity, I decided to take full advantage of it! :hello:

So assuming you are in my position, married for many years, have a bunch of kids, you can't really go anywhere year-round because of household responsibilities and work commitments, and all of a sudden you are unbridled with the family, have up to a week of vacation leaves you can use, love to ride, explore, hike, eat...where would you go?

Dates: March 11-19

efaust_o
01-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Tucson...weather, lots like minded riders, glimpse of pro riders training...surely other things you've mentioned also...

johnniecakes
01-10-2017, 06:20 AM
Israel, To see where it all began. No one in my family has any interest except me to see the Holy land.

oldpotatoe
01-10-2017, 06:28 AM
So, this year during Spring Break, the rest of the family have decided to go on a road trip to St Louis on their own and leaving me behind ...:o

Instead of drowning in self-pity, I decided to take full advantage of it! :hello:

So assuming you are in my position, married for many years, have a bunch of kids, you can't really go anywhere year-round because of household responsibilities and work commitments, and all of a sudden you are unbridled with the family, have up to a week of vacation leaves you can use, love to ride, explore, hike, eat...where would you go?

efaust..o beat me to it..or SanteFe

bheight1
01-10-2017, 06:38 AM
I'm going to Holy Week, to ride the Ronde de Vlaanderen sportive, E3, and P-R challenge, but with your dates I would catch the final day of Paris Nice and MSR following weekend. Get a glimpse of pro riders racing. Take in some sights, eat well, hike/bike--could be done on budget with planning.

tigoat
01-10-2017, 06:57 AM
For a cycling trip or just a vacation trip? For cycling, I would like to go back to the Blue Ridge Parkway to ride from one end to another once again. For a vacation trip, I probably would like to go for a cruise, just to relax on the ship for the whole week. Someone mentioned Israel above, which would be a place on top of my list to visit, specifically Jerusalem, someday.

Cicli
01-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Work.

Tickdoc
01-10-2017, 07:40 AM

If it were me, I'm headed to San Francisco. Got some friends there I don't get to see very often, free place to stay, places to ride. I would love to ride some hwy one near Muir woods, mt diablo, hit some wineries, etc.

If I weren't solo, I would plan a last minute ski trip.

But that is just me.

oldpotatoe
01-10-2017, 07:43 AM
If it were me, I'm headed to San Francisco. Got some friends there I don't get to see very often, free place to stay, places to ride. I would love to ride some hwy one near Muir woods, mt diablo, hit some wineries, etc.

If I weren't solo, I would plan a last minute ski trip.

But that is just me.

Do the 'turd twirlers' ride while there. Wharf to Mill Valley.

guido
01-10-2017, 08:20 AM
San Diego

Bob Ross
01-10-2017, 08:29 AM
the rest of the family have decided to go on a road trip to St Louis on their own and leaving me behind

Frankly my first inclination would be to stay home and finally get things done!

eddief
01-10-2017, 08:39 AM
like this, for example:

http://www.mallorcacyclingtours.com/?event_id1=18

i went with Andy Cook a number of years ago:

https://andycookcycling.com/bike-camps/andy-cook-mallorca-bike-camp/

redir
01-10-2017, 08:45 AM
I'll be down in the Greenville SC area like I do with the cycling team every year for spring training on spring break. It's a great place to ride if that is what you are after.

texbike
01-10-2017, 08:46 AM

Agree 100%! SFO and Marin. Hiking in the Headlands, Muir Woods, Pt. Reyes, etc. Plenty of ride options - Fairfax, Alpine Dam, the seven sisters, Mt. Tam, etc. Great bike shops in the area - Odyssey in Sausaulito (one of the coolest in the country!) and Black Mt. Cycles in Pt. Reyes. Plus the MTB museum is now open in Fairfax, right?

OR fly into San Jose and make a slow drive down Highway 1 to SLO with multiple stops along the way in Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Morro Bay, etc. Plenty of hiking, biking, and food and drink options.

Good for you Wei! It sounds like a fun adventure.

Texbike

weisan
01-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Just got this from Southwest Airlines...

From Austin, TX
To Atlanta, GA starting at $144 or 8,690 points one-way
To Baltimore/Washington, MD starting at $160 or 9,762 points one-way
To Boston Logan, MA starting at $151 or 9,159 points one-way
To Cancun, Mexico starting at $167 or 8,568 points one-way
To Chicago (Midway), IL starting at $160 or 9,762 points one-way
To Dallas (Love Field), TX starting at $79 or 4,337 points one-way
To El Paso, TX starting at $130 or 7,752 points one-way
To Ft. Lauderdale, FL starting at $73 or 3,935 points one-way
To Harlingen, TX starting at $110 or 6,413 points one-way
To Houston (Hobby), TX starting at $94 or 5,341 points one-way
To Kansas City, MO starting at $101 or 5,810 points one-way
To Las Vegas, NV starting at $151 or 9,159 points one-way
To Los Angeles, CA starting at $147 or 8,891 points one-way
To Lubbock, TX starting at $121 or 7,150 points one-way
To Nashville, TN starting at $160 or 9,762 points one-way
To New Orleans, LA starting at $130 or 7,752 points one-way
To New York/Newark, NJ starting at $133 or 7,953 points one-way
To Oakland, CA starting at $163 or 9,963 points one-way
To Orlando, FL starting at $104 or 6,011 points one-way
To Phoenix, AZ starting at $139 or 8,355 points one-way
To San Diego, CA starting at $160 or 9,762 points one-way
To San Jose, CA starting at $160 or 9,762 points one-way
To Seattle/Tacoma, WA starting at $135 or 8,087 points one-way
To St. Louis, MO starting at $130 or 7,752 points one-way
To Tampa, FL starting at $160 or 9,762 points one-way
To Washington (Reagan National), DC starting at $160 or 9,762 points one-way

EmoryDPTT
01-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Agree 100%! SFO and Marin. Hiking in the Headlands, Muir Woods, Pt. Reyes, etc. Plenty of ride options - Fairfax, Alpine Dam, the seven sisters, Mt. Tam, etc. Great bike shops in the area - Odyssey in Sausaulito (one of the coolest in the country!) and Black Mt. Cycles in Pt. Reyes. Plus the MTB museum is now open in Fairfax, right?

OR fly into San Jose and make a slow drive down Highway 1 to SLO with multiple stops along the way in Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Morro Bay, etc. Plenty of hiking, biking, and food and drink options.

Good for you Wei! It sounds like a fun adventure.

Texbike

If you're looking to stay in the States, the Monterey, CA and surrounding areas is awesome. On the east coast, the Carolinas has a lot to offer. A week in the Blue Ridge Parkway or Appilacian Trails can be therapeutic!
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

texbike
01-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Wei,

I'm not sure how much you would want to "rough it", but there are a number of fantastic hostel options along the coast as well near SFO. I've stayed at several of them and they've all been fantastic. The Marin Headlands Hostel was my favorite. Great hiking out the door, a short walk down to the beach, and it feels like you're in another world only 15 minutes away from SFO.

Get Seramount to go with you!

Texbike

Steve in SLO
01-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Where have you longed to go, but knew there was no chance in heck you could drag your family there?
That's where you want to go.

93legendti
01-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Israel, To see where it all began. No one in my family has any interest except me to see the Holy land.
There is great riding in Israel. Mountains every where.

Israel or Tuscany.

gdw
01-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Moab has everything you're interested in doing and this year's Skinny Tire Festival takes place on March 11-14.

RonW87
01-10-2017, 09:15 AM
https://www.wowcuba.com/cuba-bicycle-tours/

Really. Before the whole thing is gone. In a year or two it'll be Puerto Rico.

KJMUNC
01-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Domestic or foreign? For relaxation or adventure? Riding included or not?

Some of the ideas above are great: SFO or central CA coast are amazing, but will be chilly. San Diego is a great option too. Tucson and Santa Fe are great options too, although Santa Fe will also still be chilly.

I prefer doing road trips and exploring unknown places if I get time like that. A drive up the CA coast and into Oregon would be great. Or exploring the PNW....base out of Seattle and hit that area too.

We are heading south to Ecuador that same week.

notsew
01-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Daytona Beach

rpm
01-10-2017, 10:30 AM
The Big Island of Hawaii. Huge variety of things to do--beaches, hiking the volcano, rain forests, and great riding. Rent a bike in Kona.

I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years, and I'm hoping I can break that unfortunate streak soon!

Ken Robb
01-10-2017, 10:32 AM
AZ. and San Diego are the areas likely to have nice weather. I was in Santa Fe on Easter Week and it snowed so I had some fun skiing at Apache Bowl right in town.

If you want to chat about San Diego let me know.

mhespenheide
01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
If I didn't live in the Central Coast of CA, I'd probably come here.

But I do, so I'm headed to go backpacking in the Grand Canyon instead... :D

GregL
01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
For a mid-March cycling vacation, I'd stay in the southwestern US. Tucson would be my choice. Great roads, perfect weather (daytime highs in the mid-70s F), and good sightseeing when off the bike. It's definitely too early in the year for the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've seen the Parkway closed for snow in April. Good luck and have fun!

Greg

mhespenheide
01-10-2017, 10:46 AM
But seriously, there's great riding in SoCal. San Diego, LA, and even San Jose are good options to fly into. You could even credit-card tour in between San Jose and LAX, if you're inclined to do such things. I know I'd be happy to help out if that were the case.

If you've never done the Northern AZ and Southern UT circuit of parks, though, and your family hasn't expressed any interest, I'd fly to Phoenix and road trip around Sedona - Grand Canyon - Moab - Capital Reef - Bryce - Zion. Not a cycling trip, but amazing.

biker72
01-10-2017, 10:50 AM
In March I'd try Tucson. One day drive from Austin.

joosttx
01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
With all this rain. The march and April are going to be spectacular in Sf and Marin. I will take you out for a ride

Stevemikesteve
01-10-2017, 11:38 AM
San Diego County does have some great variety if you were to end up doing a cycling trip. Ride the coast for a couple days or so, maybe some road/off road combo riding between Escondido/Ramona/Julian for a day or so then head east. That can be a good time of year for riding around the Anza Borrego area or even venturing to Joshua Tree if you've never been.

gomango
01-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Visiting my family in Austin, Texas.

Annual pilgrimage.:)

Ralph
01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
If you want to ride.....You could get a lot of snow in Carolina Mountains that early in March.....and Rockies....would suggest you head south. How much traveling you want to do? Should be perfect weather around here then....lots of race teams in area training then. S Az, NM, good. I'm assuming you want nice weather.

pmac
01-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Ever been to Big Bend NP? A long days drive from Austin and beautiful, isolated riding in the area. I used to stay in either Marathon or Study Butte and ride from there into the park (close from SB, a much longer ride from Marathon). Almost no car traffic, mostly Border Patrol and motorcyclists.

weisan
01-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Wow, lots of GREAT ideas!

I should also mention...ahem...:D...ahem....I am also open to visiting/staying/house-sitting with forum pals...that is, if they will have me. ;)

brockd15
01-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Wow, lots of GREAT ideas!

I should also mention...ahem...:D...ahem....I am also open to visiting/staying/house-sitting with forum pals...that is, if they will have me. ;)

I know you went to CA not that long ago, but if you decide to come out again you'd be welcome here.

OtayBW
01-10-2017, 06:17 PM
For an Austinite, I'd go to Terlingua.....

weisan
01-10-2017, 06:18 PM
I know you went to CA not that long ago, but if you decide to come out again you'd be welcome here.

awww.....brock pal, you are such a rose....I will let you know what I decided. Yes, you are correct, I was at Oakland about a year ago and went riding with Elefantino!!

weisan
01-10-2017, 06:20 PM
For an Austinite, I'd go to Terlingua.....

What!?!?!

er...Why would you say that...? :confused:

Wikipedia:
Terlingua is a mining district and census-designated place in southwestern Brewster County, Texas, United States. It is located near the Rio Grande and the villages of Lajitas and Study Butte, Texas, as well as the Mexican village of Santa Elena

weisan
01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
I mentioned "I am going to stay with you" once and all the suggestions just stopped almost immediately....c'mon, guys, I was only jokin' :D ;)

OtayBW
01-10-2017, 06:27 PM
^^ Go for the Big Bend National Park; Stay for the Chupa Cabra.
Are you kidding me? It's an interesting, colorful, off-beat kinda place. What's not to love?

weisan
01-10-2017, 06:34 PM
^^ Go for the Big Bend National Park; Stay for the Chupa Cabra.
Are you kidding me? It's an interesting, colorful, off-beat kinda place. What's not to love?

You are right, I stand corrected. I went camping at Big Bend during spring break while I was at UT more than 20 years ago and that was a very nice experience. It may be time to revisit.

Tickdoc
01-10-2017, 07:06 PM
I mentioned "I am going to stay with you" once and all the suggestions just stopped almost immediately....c'mon, guys, I was only jokin' :D ;)

You are welcome at my house anytime ( but our spring breaks coincide and there may be no one home :eek:

weisan
01-10-2017, 07:13 PM
You are welcome at my house anytime ( but our spring breaks coincide and there may be no one home :eek:

I appreciate that, Tick pal, and vice versa.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W_8NwKEeDus/hqdefault.jpg

Schmed
01-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Cancun snorkeling with whale sharks followed by cerveza con limon y ceviche.

john903
01-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Hi there Weisan,

So I have an interesting idea which I have done when my wife goes on a trip. Here is what I have done a few times. Be a tourist in your on town or state. You know, those roads that you always want to explore or that cool little town in the Texas hill country you have heard about. Now is the time to check out your locale area. Go to the restaurant no one else really cares for except you. Maybe just grab a map and jump in the car and drive somewhere camp out and ride and explore a part of Texas you have never been to.
I really enjoy my mini along time vacations and actually for us it strengthens our marriage too. Anyway whatever you decide I am sure you will have fun. Now the hard part will be what bike to take.
Have a great day.

texbike
01-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Hi there Weisan,

So I have an interesting idea which I have done when my wife goes on a trip. Here is what I have done a few times. Be a tourist in your on town or state. You know, those roads that you always want to explore or that cool little town in the Texas hill country you have heard about. Now is the time to check out your locale area. Go to the restaurant no one else really cares for except you. Maybe just grab a map and jump in the car and drive somewhere camp out and ride and explore a part of Texas you have never been to.
I really enjoy my mini along time vacations and actually for us it strengthens our marriage too. Anyway whatever you decide I am sure you will have fun. Now the hard part will be what bike to take.
Have a great day.

Says the man from Sequim! ;) What a cool place you live in. If I lived in your area, I'm not sure that I'd venture far from the local attractions either....

Wei, if you're looking to stay with someone, Velotel would be the one to shoot for! :)

If you're going to go to Big Bend, be sure to take some REK with you to listen to - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7E5k9QbhfE .

Texbike

weisan
01-11-2017, 01:28 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions, pals!

When I first started this thread, San Jose was not on my radar...but now it looks like I am leaning towards it, never been to that area. Still thinking...

weisan
01-11-2017, 01:45 AM
Oh oh...and I fail to mention (it didn't occur to me till now), the week right after Spring break, I am actually going to be in Boston for the entire week for a work-related training bootcamp...I dunno how that would change things but maybe I should fly into that area a week earlier and spend some time with BBDave, Angry, TiDesigns, Fuzz, Climb-0 and so many other pals....but first I need a place to stay :D

cadence90
01-11-2017, 02:10 AM
^
That sounds like a good idea I like Boston, but don't know much about the surrounding areas.'

That list of cities Southwest sent you...yeah, nothing beats Lubbock in March....:eek:

weisan
01-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Appreciate your inputs, cadence pal.

So, Tucson, huh?

Interesting.... again, never been there before.

HenryA
01-11-2017, 07:09 AM
+1 for Tucson.

commonguy001
01-11-2017, 07:15 AM
I haven't ridden in Tucson since the spring of 2008 but if I wanted to go ride my bike somewhere warm (not warm here) I'd go there again. Last time there the wife and I rented a townhouse for a couple weeks and it was a blast.

cadence90
01-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Appreciate your inputs, cadence pal.

So, Tucson, huh?

Interesting.... again, never been there before.

Tucson is great, 180° from ugly Phoenix/Tempe. Beautiful, smallish, manageable city; great riding; Mt. Lemmon; Fairwheel Bikes; Tumacacori mission (well worth a trip); great genuine food. It is worth it.

Actually, given your situation, it is a very mind-cleansing place, in a very good way. Seriously, I highly recommend it.

weisan
01-11-2017, 10:24 AM
OooooooKkkkkkkkk....

I was looking at the map earlier.... and I got a bit greedy. It looks like potentially I could make a detour and drop by big bend either on my way to Tuscon or on the way back, hmmmm....

Idris Icabod
01-11-2017, 11:07 AM
OooooooKkkkkkkkk....

I was looking at the map earlier.... and I got a bit greedy. It looks like potentially I could make a detour and drop by big bend either on my way to Tuscon or on the way back, hmmmm....

I'm in Tucson (not Tuscon), let me know if you decide to come here. We also have some great mountain biking.

cadence90
01-11-2017, 11:29 AM

cadence90
01-11-2017, 11:31 AM
I'm in Tucson (not Tuscon)...

Snob.

:D

OtayBW
01-11-2017, 11:39 AM
OooooooKkkkkkkkk....

I was looking at the map earlier.... and I got a bit greedy. It looks like potentially I could make a detour and drop by big bend either on my way to Tuscon or on the way back, hmmmm....Stop by El Paso and pick up a pair of Lucchese's on the cheap (well, sort of...). Maybe you'll find Jimmy Hoffa in Terlingua.

weisan
01-11-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm in Tucson (not Tuscon), let me know if you decide to come here. We also have some great mountain biking.

Thank you Idris pal, if I do go to Tucson, I will be sure to contact you. :banana:

weisan
01-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Even more aweisansome, because on the way to Big Bend you can stop off at Marfa, grab a cold Dr.Pepper, and then visit the Donald Judd / Chinati Foundation (https://www.chinati.org/). It is really amazing, the work, the architecture, and most of all the place. Beautiful. Do it.

er....Cadence pal, you sure you don't want to come along and ..er...be my trip planner? :D

weisan
01-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Stop by El Paso and pick up a pair of Lucchese's on the cheap (well, sort of...). Maybe you'll find Jimmy Hoffa in Terlingua.

you know Otay pal, I never had a pair of boots in all 20 years that I live in Texas...maybe I should.

http://nashvillearts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/X5482.jpg

OtayBW
01-11-2017, 12:03 PM
you know Otay pal, I never had a pair of boots in all 20 years that I live in Texas...maybe I should.

http://nashvillearts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/X5482.jpgGREAT IDEA (....not those...tone it down some....). I grew up in NJ and then lived in the rural South and the West for 25 years. I now have a closet full of boots and Lucchese's are TOPS, IMO.

weisan
02-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Coming up pretty soon in a couple of weeks...the plan, which is still very fluid at this point, is

Mar 10 Fri - Arrive PM Fredericksburg, TX campsite
Mar 11 Sat - Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 12 Sun - Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 13 Mon - Depart AM, Big Bend National Park, campsite, hike/expore PM
Mar 14 Tue - Big Bend National Park, solo ride AM hike/expore PM
Mar 15 Wed - Big Bend National Park, 6-hrs hike
Mar 14 Thurs - Depart AM Fredericksburg, TX campsite, hike/expore PM
Mar 15 Fri Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 16 Sat. Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 17 Sun Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM Depart PM Home

If anyone have any other suggestions, let me know!

SlackMan
02-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Weisan, that looks like a fantastic itinerary. I'm envious.

Do you have reservations for a campsite at Big Bend yet? If not, you should make some ASAP (if they are even still available) because they are usually all booked up for Spring Break well in advance. Failing that, you should be prepared to camp backcountry. In either place, be prepared for the goat-head thorns that can easily puncture tent floors and inflatable sleeping pads.

OtayBW
02-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Very good! I am envious, too. Say hello to Jimmy Hoffa down in Terlingua!

dave thompson
02-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Wei-pal, you could come down and visit us.

Your March 10 thru 17 agenda would be as follows:

6:26AM watch sun rise spectacularly over the Sea of Cortez
6:31PM watch sun set spectacularly behind the Sierra Laguna mountains.
Terrific moonrises occur too.

Hiking and biking can be done any day between those times. Eating, sightseeing, drinking, socializing and having fun is permitted at any hour.

Baja weather forecast for March.

weisan
02-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Wei-pal, you could come down and visit us.

Your March 10 thru 17 agenda would be as follows:

6:26AM watch sun rise spectacularly over the Sea of Cortez
6:31PM watch sun set spectacularly behind the Sierra Laguna mountains.
Terrific moonrises occur too.

Hiking and biking can be done any day between those times. Eating, sightseeing, drinking, socializing and having fun is permitted at any hour.

Baja weather forecast for March.

Thanks Dave pal, you are too kind. I would love to do that one day so getting a rain check for now.

http://13281-presscdn-0-79.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/How-to-drink-tequila-like-a-mexican.jpg

AJosiahK
02-28-2017, 10:14 AM
I've been spending the last week plus in Dallas. By design rather than vaca. Since my being laid off end of Jan my father and I decided to spend some time with his mother, my grand. It's been totally fascinating. Dallas is weird (northern) but I've found a few great coffee spots (Houndstooth and Cultivar) and have been super lazy with the fam as we are on my grandmother schedule.

She is doing very well for 97, gets around quite a bit and is sharper than ever.

It will likely be a rough transition back on the bike :beer: but is so worth it to be here.

Savor every moment

weisan
02-28-2017, 10:17 AM
A-pal, if you think you can peel off for a short while, maybe needing a change of scenery... let me know, you are welcome to join me.

merlinmurph
02-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Ever been to Big Bend NP? A long days drive from Austin and beautiful, isolated riding in the area. I used to stay in either Marathon or Study Butte and ride from there into the park (close from SB, a much longer ride from Marathon). Almost no car traffic, mostly Border Patrol and motorcyclists.

Seriously?

We were in that area over Thanksgiving staying in Lajitas, and I found the riding not to my liking at all. Not a whole lot of options for rides and boring riding.

Each to his own, I guess.

Not sure what the weather is like in Napa and Sonoma valleys for your dates, but that was some of the nicest riding I've ever done. Tons of options, climbs galore and great scenery.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

weisan
02-28-2017, 07:40 PM
pmac and murph pals, I know what you mean.

To folks who are forced to ride in urban areas all the time, miles after miles of tarmac with little traffic could be a god-sent, regardless of scenery.

I have ridden in the Davis mountains area before so I kinda know what to expect. The worst part of it all is some of the chip-seal is just horrible.

I am bringing along the gravel bike so I may end up just hitting some trails.

weisan
03-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Coming up pretty soon in a couple of weeks...the plan, which is still very fluid at this point, is

Mar 10 Fri - Arrive PM Fredericksburg, TX campsite
Mar 11 Sat - Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 12 Sun - Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 13 Mon - Depart AM, Big Bend National Park, campsite, hike/expore PM
Mar 14 Tue - Big Bend National Park, solo ride AM hike/expore PM
Mar 15 Wed - Big Bend National Park, 6-hrs hike
Mar 14 Thurs - Depart AM Fredericksburg, TX campsite, hike/expore PM
Mar 15 Fri Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 16 Sat. Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM, hike/expore PM
Mar 17 Sun Texas Hill Country Hell Week - group ride AM Depart PM Home

If anyone have any other suggestions, let me know!

Soooooo...getting ready for my trip tomorrow ...and helping the rest of family get ready for theirs, has been a pretty hectic day today.

Up until earlier this afternoon, I still haven't decided which road bike I was going to bring on this trip. So what do I do? I ended up taking turns riding every bike that I got through a 3-mile loop around the house, hoping that at the end I can come to a decision. It feels almost like picking a bride in the lineup....:eek:

The custom steel bike went first....hmmm, I dunno....normally if I am taking a bike on a trip or go out of town, it's the default pick but somehow I am not feeling it today....so, no go.

http://alicehui.com/pics/nc/img/24.jpg

Next, the Rivendell. It started off a bit sluggish but in less than 1/2 mile, I was reminded why I like it so much - the fatter 32 compass tires is so so so comfortable and it rides so smooth, especially over the chip seal like they were not even there, its stable and predictable handling will conserve a lot of energy especially if I am going to ride every day for 5 or 6 days straight. So, at this point, it's the front runner.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697935121&stc=1&d=1487795057

Next up...the Cyfac carbon bike. Ooooouuuu...it's so stupid light compared to the last two plus it's the only one running shimano 11 speed although I still prefer 9s. And I just changed out the handlebar with a Specialized Hover Expert a week ago and haven't tried it yet. It's nice...it's smooth...it's comfortable...it climbs effortlessly....I guess it's an easy choice...but errrr.....I am not feeling it today, you are grounded! :rolleyes: Soooorrry....

http://alicehui.com/bike/cyfac/cyfac5.jpg

The Corsa Extra is up next. Awwwww.......uuuuu.....I love...I mean, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this bike. As soon as I put my leg over and lift off, it feels like home in Belgium...although I have never lived there before. :D
hmm....it's either this one or the Rivendell. I think I will be equally happy on either one.

http://alicehui.com/bike/CorsaExtra/c13.jpg

Our last contestant...the Serotta steel CXII. I just want to be sure....it usually goes out when I want to record video because it's already set up front and back with the camera mounts. I do want to capture some footage on this trip...but not at the expense of bringing a bike that I don't want to ride. So, I thought I would give it a fair shot. In less than 200m, I was quickly reminded why I never have to worry about this bike...ever. I can grab it on the way out any time I want and it will NEVER fail me on a ride. It's got my favorite gear setup 50/34 front, 11-34 rear. It's got my favorite tires on 27mm Vitt. CG Pave, and like I said, it's already set up for ...CAMERA!...ACTION!
It's got everything that the Corsa and the Rivendell have, PLUS the advantage of modern-day steel which makes it feel lighter and more responsive. Well...it looks like we have a late comer that managed to dethrone all the ones that have come before....

I believe the jury has come to a final decision and it's unanimous.

It shall be the CXII that accompanies me on this week-long road trip and adventure. :beer:

http://alicehui.com/bike/cx/cx3.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/cx/cx7.jpg

bigbill
03-10-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm heading to AZ in the morning. I'm staying at a resort near Fountain Hills all next week. I know the area pretty well and plan on getting 250 or so miles in 6 rides. I was in Fredericksburg a few weekends ago and will return for a week in August. There is a burger place a few miles north on Hwy 16 at the old Sinclair station. They only have burgers on Friday and Saturday but it may be the best ever. $2.50 longnecks too.

weisan
03-10-2017, 08:25 PM
I'm heading to AZ in the morning. I'm staying at a resort near Fountain Hills all next week. I know the area pretty well and plan on getting 250 or so miles in 6 rides. I was in Fredericksburg a few weekends ago and will return for a week in August. There is a burger place a few miles north on Hwy 16 at the old Sinclair station. They only have burgers on Friday and Saturday but it may be the best ever. $2.50 longnecks too.

Thanks for the tip, Bill pal, I will definitely check it out if I make it over there tomorrow. Right now, I am kinda still trying to decide whether

a) to stay in town to do a local ride before I hit the road in the afternoon.

or

b) drive 1:30 hrs to Fredericksburg and join the group ride there that starts at 9am.

or

c) drive straight to Big Bend and get there a few days earlier than planned.

The kicker is, both Austin and Fredericksburg are forecasted with more than 50% chance of rain tomorrow while Big Bend is 70 degree sunny.

bigbill
03-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the tip, Bill pal, I will definitely check it out if I make it over there tomorrow. Right now, I am kinda still trying to decide whether

a) to stay in town to do a local ride before I hit the road in the afternoon.

or

b) drive 1:30 hrs to Fredericksburg and join the group ride there that starts at 9am.

or

c) drive straight to Big Bend and get there a few days earlier than planned.

The kicker is, both Austin and Fredericksburg are forecasted with more than 50% chance of rain tomorrow while Big Bend is 70 degree sunny.

I think I'm getting out of the way of the rain. I'm rolling out at 6am and should be crossing into NM by about 1pm. The only weather condition I expect is some high winds in the panhandle but they should be mostly at my back so it shouldn't kill my mileage. The weather in Fountain Hills (PHX area) is supposed to be around 90 during the day and 60 at night. Should be perfect.

OtayBW
03-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Up until earlier this afternoon, I still haven't decided which road bike I was going to bring on this trip. So what do I do? I ended up taking turns riding every bike that I got through a 3-mile loop around the house, hoping that at the end I can come to a decision. It feels almost like picking a bride in the lineup....:eek:
Actually, that would be over by Carson City, but I thought you weren't planning to travel that far....:D

Why don't you just pick the bike that is most appropriate for the road conditions or type of terrain that you're planning to ride?

weisan
03-16-2017, 08:41 PM
Just got home, had a really good time at Big Bend, ended up spending 4 nights there doing a whole bunch of hiking...Emory Peak, South Rim, Laguna Meadows, Window, Dog Canyon, Santa Elena Canyon trails. I mean, I have never done so much hiking in my entire life. :D

Despite the fact that I didn't make any reservation and "just showed up" (not a good idea, the place is packed full because of Spring Break) :eek:, a very nice family was willing to share their campsite with me at Chisos Basin. There are good people everywhere! :hello:

The weather at Fredericksburg was kinda crappy for cycling the whole week. I rode with them on the first day Saturday, got rained on. My riding buddy Rick was there until Wednesday, couldn't take it anymore, decided to just pack up and go home. Glad I was able to adjust my schedule accordingly and spend more time at Big Bend National Park.

I am tired and beat, will share a fuller report and pictures/video in the next couple of days.

Thanks again pals for chiming in with ideas and helped formulate what turned out to be an excellent Spring break vacation.

JAllen
03-17-2017, 06:00 PM
I'm going abroad for the first time. I've lived 3 hours from Mexico and 5 hours from Canada and never went.

I'm headed for Iceland next Friday. :)

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

weisan
03-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Allen pal, that's awesome!

JAllen
03-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Allen pal, that's awesome!
Thanks bud! I'm really excited. I have a small budget and don't really know what to do. I'm fine with low-key.

Any recommendations? I'll be staying in Reykjavik.

cadence90
03-17-2017, 06:10 PM
I'm going abroad for the first time. I've lived 3 hours from Mexico and 5 hours from Canada and never went.

I'm headed for Iceland next Friday. :)

Wow, that's an excellent first trip abroad. :beer:

Thanks bud! I'm really excited. I have a small budget and don't really know what to do. I'm fine with low-key.

Any recommendations? I'll be staying in Reykjavik.

There was this thread last year: Going to Iceland! Any suggestions, tips, tricks? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=188408)
Iceland seems amazing.

JAllen
03-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Wow, that's an excellent first trip abroad. [emoji481]

There was this thread last year: Going to Iceland! Any suggestions, tips, tricks? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=188408)
Iceland seems amazing.
Thanks, buddy, for the link! Those pictures are incredible. I'll give an update when I get back.

weisan
03-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Been trying to catch up at home since I got back, a full (er) report will come soon, I promise. In the meantime, a bit of appetizer.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a71_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b51_r.jpg

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:08 PM
My wife and kids left the house on Saturday morning at 6:30 am to make the 12 ½ hours drive to St. Louis. I made sure they got everything loaded up, and able to leave on time before I closed up the house and left 30 minutes later to drive to Fredericksburg to join the riders at the Texas Hill Country Hell Week. The original plan was to spend the first few days riding around that area before heading over to Big Bend National Park. It rained during the ride that morning and the forecast indicated it would pretty much stay that way for the rest of the week, so I proceeded on to drive to Big Bend as soon as I got back to my car after the ride, which turned out to be the right decision. The weather there at Big Bend was awesome, nice and cool in the morning before getting up to the high 70s in the afternoon, sunny blue sky every day. I did not reserve any campsite before I went, which is kinda crazy especially since Spring Break was the busiest time of the year. I figured since I am by myself and don't really take up that much space, I can probably beg someone to let me pitch a tent and share their campsite. I was lucky. :D A nice couple from Austin let me stayed on their campground on the first night. In our conversation, we found out that their neighbor back in Austin is someone I knew from work, what a coincidence. Unfortunately, they left for Mafa the next day which left me having to find another shelter. A father with two grown kids from Dallas took me in and we ended up together for four straight days, sharing meals and hiking 6-8 hours a day, which was GREAT! In fact, I don’t think I have ever hiked that much in my entire life!
Another thing that was noteworthy. After I left Fredericksburg, I got to a small town right outside Big Bend called Marathon and decided to spend the night there. I checked into an RV park and pitched my tent for the night. At about midnight, a strong...no...strong is not the right word, a devastating wind storm came by and blew up the whole place...I mean, from inside my tent, I can hear kids crying, parents panicking, people starting up their cars and driving out, presumably to seek shelter. I decided to hunker down inside my tent, and wait for the whole thing to blow over. It lasted for about 4 hours. The only reason my tent did not get blown off is because I was sleeping on my cot and my weight sorta of held the tent down on the ground. The four walls of the tent were flapping like crazy. I got one of those “4-person instant tent” from Coleman and that thing got compressed by the wind to the size of a single person tent. It was hilarious….and scary at the same time. Too bad, i didn’t have my camera with me...and I didn’t have enough wits to remember using my phone to record the incident. It would have been interesting… At around 4 am, everything just came to a complete standstill, as if nothing had happened. People starts to return back to their tents...or what’s left of their tent. I asked around later and apparently, people inside the park also experienced the wind storm coming by their campgrounds. Anyway, back to the family that I spent four days hiking with around the park. We hit all the major hikes - the longest one took us almost 8 hours - going up to the summit of South Rim and coming back through Laguna Meadows. The last 3 miles or so was a death march. I am really glad I got to meet this family, on my own, I probably wouldn’t have covered so much grounds. The father and I hit it off really well and had much to talk about in our conversations. I met an older couple on one of my hikes at Santa Elena Canyon. They taught ESL abroad for several years, in Asia and other parts of the world. Now they are back in the States teaching at a school in Seattle where Bill Gates’ daughter goes to. They said the Gates are just “normal” people, very down to earth, you wouldn’t be able to tell any difference if you meet them. I can believe that. Anyway, it was fun to slow down to their pace and talk to them the whole way. They are very interesting people. In fact, I can summarize the whole trip into this:

They are good people everywhere if you care to look. (who are kind enough to share meals and campsite with me)
Big Bend is….BIG! And extremely rugged.
In those super long hikes, I was reminded once again, to move forward or to finish, you just have to put one foot in front of the other and continue walking...that’s life in general and the way to overcome its challenges.

Let’s see some pictures, shall we?

The riding buddies that I met on the first day when it was raining. Here we were riding inside the LBJ ranch. After the ride, the bike pretty much stayed inside the car until I got home, no more riding for me...no wait, that's not exactly true. I did bring along my other gravel bike the "Trucker" which was mounted behind the car on a rack. On the last day at the park, I took it down to ride up from the campsite in Chisos Basin to the resort/visitor center. It was a relatively long and steep climb out of the valley. I had a triple so I just kicked into the lowest gear and slowly made my way to the top.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a1_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b97_r.jpg

It was wet and...quite miserable.
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a13_r.jpg

The paceline at the beginning of the ride before the leaders in front dropped everyone…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a14_r.jpg

On my way into the park early morning…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b94_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b96_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/c18_r.jpg

The family of three that took me in...
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b1_r.jpg

On the way hiking up to Emory Peak (2nd highest in Texas) by myself…
(That's not Emory Peak in the picture btw)
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a17_r.jpg

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Like I said, the park was very busy with visitors during Spring Break. It’s common to bump into a big group of hikers from schools, adventure clubs etc. I just let them go past me and took my time hanging in the back…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a31_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a38_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a49_r.jpg

I am surprised to see parents with relatively young children on the hike. It’s quite impressive to see these 10-12 year-olds tackling a long hike. I saw a mum with a 3-month-old baby…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a55_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/c6_r.jpg

It gets steeper and rockier towards the end

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a77_r.jpg

Once we get to the top of Emory Peak, there’s like a small little holding area and people keep coming up, it gets crowded in short order. Technically speaking, I am not at the highest point yet. If you want to, you have to climb over the last technical bit to get to the top where there’s like a solar panel.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a84_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a87_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a89_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a96_r.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:09 PM
I was not interested to go any higher….I am scared of heights! Plus I can see the magnificent view right where I was.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a79_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/c2_r.jpg

On a different trail...called the Window Trail. A shorter trail that starts off from the campsite in Chisos Basin. A good trail for family with younger children, not overly challenging but yet interesting enough with the different landscape and rock formation.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b2_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b4_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b5_r.jpg

Coming to the end where the trail takes its name after, you can see the “window”...
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b6_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b9_r.jpg

Another trail called Dog Canyon Trail. Walking in desert-like terrain at first before we reached the dried up riverbeds.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b10_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b12_r.jpg

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Flowers growing out of the desert…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b11_r.jpg
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b13_r.jpg

This is WHAT NOT TO DO...we veered off the trail slightly and found a cave.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b20_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b19_r.jpg

Getting rid of the prickly stuck to her shoes…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b22_r.jpg

Here’s the “Window” at a distance during dusk.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b23_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b88_r.jpg

At the beginning of the longest hike of this trip: Chisos Basin > South Rim > Laguna Meadows > Chisos Basin
About 12 miles long, took us 8 hours.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b24_r.jpg

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:12 PM
A lot of climbing at the beginning before it tapers off at the top and walking along the ridge…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b25_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b27_r.jpg

Encountered the ranger in charge of clearing the latrines along the trails...on horseback!

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b28_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b29_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b30_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b35_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b39_r.jpg

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Finally at the summit of South Rim…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b42_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b51_r.jpg

A boy dancing on the edge!
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b56_r.jpg

After he “survived”, I traded one of my tangerines for his dry-packed “ice-cream” - it tasted like Oreo.
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b61_r.jpg

Walking along the ridge…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b62_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b68_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b74_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b75_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b77_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b78_r.jpg

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Heading back down…

We spotted a mule deer.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b79_r.jpg

Interesting stone formations…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/b84_r.jpg

Stones polished smooth by water
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d2_r.jpg

Walking along dried up riverbeds is really interesting...I can almost visualize what it was like with the raging water coming around the corners...like the movie Mummy.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d11_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d5_r.jpg

Sharp drop…

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d8_r.jpg

Final runoff down the valley

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d10_r.jpg

Santa Elena Canyon

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d14_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d29_r.jpg

weisan
03-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Separated by the Rio Grande river

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d15_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d33_r.jpg
The water is really shallow, you can walk across and touch Mexico.

My friend fell into a depression.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d25_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d26_r.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d28_r.jpg

A bunch of kids having so much fun playing in the mud.

http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/d35_r.jpg

Time to go home...
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/a61_r.jpg

bianchi10
03-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Lovely photos!

I'd go to Melbourne Australia if given a chance and money to do so

Jeff N.
03-24-2017, 06:34 PM
I'd go to San Diego...OH! I'm already here! :D

Jeff N.
03-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Tickdoc
03-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Weisan you sir would be fun to travel with.

You had me right up until the park ranger....what a crap job!

Great pics, and thanks for sharing the trip with us.

OtayBW
03-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Nice pics, Weisan! That's a nice agate in Pic 2 (above).