PDA

View Full Version : Garmin HRM and ANT+

Splash
01-10-2017, 05:15 AM
Hi all.

I bought the edge 1000 kit recently which contained the HRM as well.

I cannot pair this ANT+ HRM with TR for some reason and its damn frustrating..

TR staff say that because this HRM is a garmin, it won't pair with TR.

I would have thought any ANT+ HRM would be capable of pairing to TR SW?

THoughts?

Splash

tigoat
01-10-2017, 06:00 AM
Paring your HRM has nothing to do with whether it is a Garmin or whatever, it has to do with if it is paring as an ANT+ or a Bluetooth Smart. Since it is a Garmin HRM, it should be paired as ANT+ device. I have several HRM devices and they always seem to be iffy to pair for some reason but I have not had one that didn't work with Zwift and Virtual Training with an ANT+ dongle. I have also not seen a problem connecting any of my HRMs to my Garmin 1000. Not sure about TR though. I find that by wearing my HRM for about 15 min in advance before paring seems to always do the trick. Sometimes it takes about 5 min to register though for some reason.

efaust_o
01-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Are you trying to run Garmin app at the same time as TR? That you cannot do...TR will run but will not recognize your HRM. Quit Garmin Express app and then launch TR and see if it will connect to HRM...

superbowlpats
01-10-2017, 07:00 AM
are you trying to run garmin app at the same time as tr? That you cannot do...tr will run but will not recognize your hrm. Quit garmin express app and then launch tr and see if it will connect to hrm...

this!!!

Splash
01-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Thanks Guys.

No, I am not running any Garmin app (Including gamin express) at the same time as TR.

I would have thought that any ANT+ HRM shoudl be able to talk with TR... obviously not the garmin HRM.. :-(

Splash

RowanB
01-10-2017, 01:37 PM
I have no trouble pairing my Garmin soft strap HRMs with Trainerroad. Are you using an ANT+ dongle?

efaust_o
01-10-2017, 03:51 PM
I have no trouble pairing my Garmin soft strap HRMs with Trainerroad. Are you using an ANT+ dongle?

Yeah, thought I had hit on it...anything else to pair besides HRM? Possibly the dongle is bad or I've heard of the distance being too far...but that is easy enough to trouble shoot by having your device within inches of the HRM..

nate2351
01-10-2017, 04:04 PM
I've never had issue with mine. You could always get a USB extension cord to run the dongle closer to the source. We do that on our Zwift station here at the shop to make sure it never drops out durring a demo.

Splash
01-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Thanks.

Android app does not require any dongle for this. I use the android app for TR.

Every other app requires the dongle.

Splash

thegunner
01-10-2017, 04:53 PM
how would a phone communicate over ant+ with the HR strap... am i getting something confused here? i'm pretty sure you'd need a computer and a usb ant+ dongle.

i stand corrected, there are a ton of samsung devices that have ant+: https://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/

who would've known.

OldCrank
01-10-2017, 05:10 PM
I have one of these on a slow boat from China:
https://www.amazon.com/PerfPRO-CycleOps-Virtual-Trainer-TrainerRoad/dp/B01MXXDBNK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1484090731&sr=8-16&keywords=ant%2B+USB

I read where you should get one that has USB 2.0 for TR, Zwift, SufferFest et al

Here's hopin' the old laptop will be up for the (simple-looking) graphics.

BTW: android needs to be 5 ('Lollipop') or above... my El Cheapeaux don't cut it.

Splash
01-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Yes, my android S5 is the compatible firmware - Lollipop.

TR runs perfectly fine using the Samsung Galaxy S5 (via ANT+) but does not read the ANT+ Garmin HRM for whatever reason.

Splash

gospastic
01-10-2017, 06:13 PM
What equipment are you able to successfuly connect to TR right now?

Splash
01-10-2017, 08:11 PM
TAXC NEO and Samsung Galaxy S5 Android phone - remote access - no wires/dongles - just ANT+

Splash

shovelhd
01-10-2017, 10:14 PM
If you've got an Edge 1000, why?