PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Evo Di2 Fitting

recoveryride247
01-09-2017, 10:19 PM
hello all,

turning to the expertise of the forum for some solutions. I've stepped away from modern carbon bikes for a bit, but came upon a good deal for a 2015 Cannondale Evo that will only take Di2/ETap/EPS. I've only ridden mechanical my whole life, so I'm a bit lost on how to make this frame work.

For additional texture, I've already jumped the gun and bought a used Ultegra Di2 set with an external battery setup (I got a great deal on it), and the frame is coming tomorrow. The seller recommended an internal battery, but I wanted to check and see if there is any way to make this work.

Is there a way or part to mount the external battery? I've seen some setups with the battery mounted below the bottle cage, but from the pictures, it doesn't look like the frame has an additional hole to allow for this.

Any sort of experience/tips would be appreciated!

shovelhd
01-09-2017, 10:27 PM
I would convert to internal. If you must keep the external battery, then see if it can be mounted to the bottom bracket or the NDS chainstay. The frame may have bosses for this.

kramnnim
01-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Convert to internal. You may need new junction box+wiring though... :(

No bosses or hole for external battery.

recoveryride247
01-09-2017, 10:59 PM
I would convert to internal. If you must keep the external battery, then see if it can be mounted to the bottom bracket or the NDS chainstay. The frame may have bosses for this.

Appreciate the answer - looks like I need to go internal to not compromise the frame

recoveryride247
01-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Convert to internal. You may need new junction box+wiring though... :(

No bosses or hole for external battery.

thanks! did a bit more research today, and looks like this is the way to go about it.

SPOKE
01-10-2017, 05:27 AM
You will probably need an external "B" junction box (mounts under the BB). The external battery mount is redially available. This mount sits under the bottle cage on the down tube and positions the battery in the "V" between the down & top tubes. It's pretty easy to setup. Skinny zip ties or weather strip adhesive foam tape work well to hold the worts in place.

zank
01-10-2017, 05:29 AM
Make sure you get the new BT-DN110 battery. The old internal battery SM-BTR2 does not have enough memory to hold the latest firmware. The old battery has been discontinued for a few months, but I am sure they are still floating being sold.

shovelhd
01-10-2017, 06:20 AM
Make sure you get the new BT-DN110 battery. The old internal battery SM-BTR2 does not have enough memory to hold the latest firmware. The old battery has been discontinued for a few months, but I am sure they are still floating being sold.

Interesting. I have two of the BTR2 batteries on two different bikes and I've updated E-Tube recently. Is there a warning or is the battery firmware stuck at the last revision?

zank
01-10-2017, 06:24 AM
No, you just won't get the options available when the latest firmware is installed, synchro shifting being the main one.

shovelhd
01-10-2017, 06:30 AM
Oh man. The bike shops are going to get an earful over that.

stien
01-10-2017, 06:32 AM
You can still run external using a long mount, this goes under the downtube water bottle cage. I do believe many of the C-dales were made to run external with battery on the NDS chain stay though.

I'm going to be a holdout using external battery. We have three external battery Di2 bikes (2x road and 1x TT) and on more than one occasion I've swapped the fully charged battery from our TT bike to one of our road bikes with a dead battery the morning of a race. Also at stage races all swappable parts in case something happens is really nice to have.

zank
01-10-2017, 06:50 AM
The other thing you will need the new battery for is the new d-fly unit (EW-WU111) for bluetooth connectivity to tablets and phones.

stien
01-10-2017, 06:55 AM
The other thing you will need the new battery for is the new d-fly unit (EW-WU111) for bluetooth connectivity to tablets and phones.

Does the d-fly do anything else besides allow bluetooth?

zank
01-10-2017, 06:58 AM
It communicates in ANT private with head units that display gearing. That will work with the old battery just like the current EW-WU101 d-fly unit.