PDA

View Full Version : Enve 3.4 vs. Campagnolo Bora One 35?

adub
01-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Anyone own both wheelsets? For the price of a used pair of Enve 3.4's I can get a brand new Campagnolo Bora One 35 wheelset. (clinchers)

This is a huge price difference, all the reviews of the Bora One are positive, and no hub issues that I can see. Leads me to the conclusion that the Enve's are grossly overpriced, like over double the cost!?

Am I missing something here?

saab2000
01-09-2017, 08:51 PM
As an ENVE owner, I can confirm they are both good and grossly overpriced! Never owned the Boras so I can't comment.

bfd
01-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Anyone own both wheelsets? For the price of a used pair of Enve 3.4's I can get a brand new Campagnolo Bora One 35 wheelset. (clinchers)

This is a huge price difference, all the reviews of the Bora One are positive, and no hub issues that I can see. Leads me to the conclusion that the Enve's are grossly overpriced, like over double the cost!?

Am I missing something here?

Yes, the Campy Bora wheels are priced right, especially at the UK retailers. One thing to consider are the proprietary spokes. You break one, be prepared to pay "Campy prices" for replacements. What does that mean? Instead of using standard db spokes which can be found at anybikeshopusa, you'll end up having to search for either a shop that speaks Campy or mail order them at probably $3-5 per spoke. Further, I believe the Bora wheels might have a weight limit, an issue if you are a big guy like me. Otherwise, if neither are an issue, I say go for it! Good Luck!

sfscott
01-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Explain difference between Bora One and Bora Ultra please

joosttx
01-10-2017, 12:22 AM
bora ultra 2 35 are a superior wheel compared to enve ses. With that said enve ses are really nice wheels

lhuerta
01-10-2017, 12:24 AM
Explain difference between Bora One and Bora Ultra please

Bora One: alum hub shell, USB hybrid ceramic bearings
Bora Ultra: carbon hub shell, CULT ceramic bearings

VERY minimal weight difference between Bora One and Ultra. I own tubulars in 35 and 50 in Bora One and both weigh under the manufacturer spec weight...

Bora One 35
1185 gm

Bora One 50 f
1210 gm

Regarding proprietary spokes....the mini spoke kits (usually 4 spokes in a kit) are WIDELY available and only cost around $25-30.

With UK dealer prices still low, the Bora One wheels are probably the best value of any wheel set currently avaialbe.

CiclistiCliff
01-10-2017, 02:25 AM
Go Bora. I've handled a lot of Enve wheels and have never been impressed.

htwoopup
01-10-2017, 02:59 AM
I have both, although the Enves are the disc version. They are laced to WI hubs.

As the OP said, they are both overpriced. Occasionally you can find the Boras in the U.K. or Italy for more reasonable prices.

Obviously, you will have different rides on different tire/wheel combinations. Also, frame material in combination also affects things. That said, my favorite tire sizing for the Enves is a 23 while my favorite on the Boras is a 25. And the Enves get used on a carbon bike while the Boras are on an alu frame.

So, even though I have both I find it hard to separate out how I feel solely about the wheels.

I love both combinations for what they are. Although, I would say (this is unscientific, just feel) that the Enve combination rides stiffer, more exacting in how it reacts. But the Bora combination is more fun. I will also note that while the White disc hubs are fantastic, the Bora One hubs seem to roll even more forever.

I will tell you, that other riders have never commented to me on sound of the disc Enves yet about a third of the time I ride the Boras in Central Park someone comments on the sound of them. I don't hear a difference riding them but it seems other riders do. If that matters to you then that is a bit of a mark against the Boras.

simonov
01-10-2017, 04:04 AM
What hubs on the ENVEs? I haven't been as impressed with Campy hubs' durability in the rigors of day to day use. My ENVEs are built with bombproof DT240s, which I prefer to the Campy hubs. But the Bora Ones are still really good wheels overall. Science tells me the ENVEs are faster from an aerodynamics standpoint, but the Boras feel very fast as well and I've never gone to a wind tunnel to test. The Boras have Campy's 3Diamant braking surface which is outstanding. I think the ENVEs can take more of a punishment than the Boras, but that only matters if you're hard on wheels.

uber
01-10-2017, 04:23 AM
I have Enve 3.4 and 6.7 as well as the Bora Ultra in 50mm; all tubular. I don't think you can go wrong with either. They all outperform my abilities. My opinion is if you have a bike with a Campy build, go Campy. If this bike will be ridden hard, I lean to the Enve. I have found Enve to be bomb proof and customer support is superb by reputation. Having said that, I have friends with Eurus wheels well over 10 years old with hard use.

denapista
01-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Probike and other Euro retailers have the bora 35's on sale for a price that Enve can't match in the states. I've heard nothing but praises from friends I know that run Campy Bora wheels. I personally run Enve, due to a warranty replacement deal from them. Having Enve customer service local in the states is a great reason to buy into their product, even with the high pricing.

If I had to straight up buy wheels right now, I would go with the Bora 35's in a heartbeat.

The plus about Enve wheels, are the use of standard spokes and whatever hubs your heart desires. If you break a spoke, getting a replacement from your LBS would take a day or so.. The same can't be said for Campy. I mean it's been years since I've broken a spoke (Reynolds weak wheels).

pinoymamba
01-10-2017, 11:58 AM
a lot of friends ride enve and they never had issues but i decided on boras after a long time on zipps. i picked up the 35s from a forumite. i used them on two rides before the storms hit the bay area. they are a solid wheelset from hoop to hub. i am glad they went with the external spoke nipple. i regret my purchase because now i want the 50s :banana:

this was an excuse just to share a photo of the boras.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/308/31973376516_1a63e3c4f7_z.jpg

LegendRider
01-10-2017, 12:58 PM
As an ENVE owner, I can confirm they are both good and grossly overpriced! Never owned the Boras so I can't comment.

I've only owned the 3.4s with Kings hubs so I can't compare the two, but I agree that they're overpriced. That's not say that I don't love the Enves - I do - but they pop up for sale used so frequently that there is almost no reason to pay MSRP.

christian
01-10-2017, 01:22 PM
i regret my purchase because now i want the 50s :banana:Let me help you -- sell me your 35s!

djdj
01-10-2017, 01:41 PM
I have the older (2014) Bora One 35's and the newer (2016) Bora One 50's. Both in tubular. Both from Europe (Ribble, Starbike). Terrific wheels at basically half the price of Enve's.

lhuerta
01-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Let me help you -- sell me your 35s!

@pinoymamba, glad u r enjoying your new wheels.

@christian ...u could have picked those up at my house last month...I guess you missed my ad.:banana:

christian
01-10-2017, 02:20 PM
@christian ...u could have picked those up at my house last month...I guess you missed my ad.:banana:

Lol, oops. Hope you're doing well Lou. Stay warm!

adub
01-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys confirming my research.