PDA

View Full Version : Things I'd never thought about: how do you wash your shorts?

Gummee
01-08-2017, 07:29 PM
I've always washed my chamois normally as in 'chamois inside my shorts.' Was with a friend and found out she does it the other way as in 'chamois out.'

Since I'd never thought about it, I guess it makes sense 'cause that's what gets 'dirty.'

What do you do? ...and why?

M

Yes, it truly IS winter!

CampyorBust
01-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Right side out so the kamois does not come undun. Zippers and such will destroy them in no time.

If I may just add a related question… do you guys actually wash yer bibs with fragrance free detergent? I do and don’t wanna, I would rather smell like flowers.

Geeheeb
01-08-2017, 07:42 PM
hand wash

JAllen
01-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Right side out. They'll get clean either way, and as CampyorBust pointed out, it keeps it from getting mauled by other items.

As far as fragrance goes- I can't use smelly detergent on any wash load. I have bad skin reactions. I also don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets for the same reasons and beyond.

ceolwulf
01-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Inside out, on the theory that it will keep the visible surface looking newer longer. I always wash my cycling kit separately so no fear of zippers etc.

cmbicycles
01-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Right side out. They'll get clean either way, and as CampyorBust pointed out, it keeps it from getting mauled by other items.

As far as fragrance goes- I can't use smelly detergent on any wash load. I have bad skin reactions. I also don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets for the same reasons and beyond.

Fabric Softener/dryer sheets are terrible for sports apparel. The chemicals that make the fabric soft/wrinkle-free end up repelling water and nullifying the "wicking" characteristics. For all our laundry we make our own detergent (Dawn, washing soda, borax, and water) and just use a little vinegar in the rinse cycle, and wool dryer balls in the dryer. Cycling clothes go in a garment bag in the washing machine inside out (not sure why, habit from less rubbing of logos off t-shirts and such) then hang to dry.
I notice a huge difference when we visit with family that uses dryer sheets with towels and such, the towels don't absorb water well at all, though they do feel soft to the touch when dry, almost slimy when wet.

Tony
01-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Hand wash with Dove soap, (only soap my wife buys) chamois only. Roll it inside a towel like a Sushi burrito, step on it a couple times, unroll, hang to dry, usually 12 hours.

regularguy412
01-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Right side out for washing (cold water). Inside out for drying (drip dry on a rack). I always use fragrance free liquid detergent. NEVER use fabric softener in any wash that has a lycra garment in it.

Mike in AR:beer:

makoti
01-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Inside out, gentle cycle, in a garment bag. Anything with velcro (gloves) goes in it's own bag or outside of the bags.

adub
01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Never, they are much too delicate to wash.

Haha! Inside out with other like-items.

Elefantino
01-08-2017, 09:32 PM
In the washer, hang dry.

Jgrooms
01-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Outside. Gentle. Always zip stuff up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
01-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Chamois out in a wash bag.

Black Dog