PDA

View Full Version : 10 speed spacing...

fogrider
01-08-2017, 04:59 PM
is it possible to take a Shimano 10 speed cassette with loose cogs and campy spacers and mount them on a Shimano cassette body and shift it with a Campy 10 speed shifters?

Cicli
01-08-2017, 05:02 PM
is it possible to take a Shimano 10 speed cassette with loose cogs and campy spacers and mount them on a Shimano cassette body and shift it with a Campy 10 speed shifters?

Yeah. But the spacers need to be Campagnolo thickness only. Campagnolo spacers wont fit on a shimano hub.

mwynne
01-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Personally I've had pretty solid experience just running a straight 10sp shimano cassette with 10sp campy. But this is a pretty good idea, hmmm!

booglebug
01-08-2017, 05:56 PM
May be wrong but I think there is one spacer on the Campy cassette that is thicker than the others, and if not in the right place throws the shifting off.

bigbill
01-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Get this and be done.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=10+Speed+Cassette&vendorCode=WHEELMFG&major=1&minor=10

Ralph
01-08-2017, 06:29 PM
A all loose cog 10 speed Campy cassette (Veloce and some branded centaurs) of past has three different cog spacers. The one between two largest cogs is 1.6 MM. Between the 6th and 7th is 2.55, and rest are 2.4 MM. The nicer older ones with pined cogs are different yet....one spacer is 3.05 MM.

Most recent 12-27 and 12-30 Centaurs, with top three pined are 2.5 MM on all loose cogs. These look like a different manufacturer.

I have had all those cassettes, and saved all the little tech brochures that came with them.

So seems to me....there is considerable variation on what can work. If you are clever getting stop screws, B screw, and tension cable adjustment right.

BTW....It does have to fit on the cassette body.....Shimano cogs and campy cogs maybe not same width.

BTW....if anyone out there has a pile of spacers and cogs, and don't know how they go together....PM me. I've got the info.

ultraman6970
01-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Ive used one of this ones, they worked just fine, tad in the noisy side due to material but for what I paid I couldnt complain.

Get this and be done.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=10+Speed+Cassette&vendorCode=WHEELMFG&major=1&minor=10

Pi Guy
01-09-2017, 12:31 AM
This may not help your particular case but a Shimano 9 cassette will work great with Campy 10. You just have one empty shift.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2017, 05:00 AM

Wheels used to make a spacer kit but the best alternative is shimano 9s cogset and chain. Ctr cog to ctr cog differences between shimano 9s and Campag 10s much smaller than shimano 10s and Campag 10s.

Mark McM
01-09-2017, 10:55 AM

As a direct answer to this question: If the Shimano cassette body is 10spd, then no, it will not work. A Shimano 10spd cassette body is narrower than a Campagnolo 10spd cassette body, so a Campagnolo cassette (or one re-spaced to Campagnolo width) would simply be too wide to fit on Shimano cassette body. The special conversion cassettes (such as the Wheels Manafacturing cassette referenced above) use custom machining to overhang the biggest sprocket past the bottom of the cassette body, to "simulate" a wider cassetted body - but at the cost of moving the derailleur closer to the spokes.

If the Shimano cassette body is 11spd, it may be a different story; Shimano 11spd cassette bodies are approx. the same width as Campagnolo cassette bodies, so some type of spacer swapping may work (if you can find spacers of the right width).

fogrider
01-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Wheels used to make a spacer kit but the best alternative is shimano 9s cogset and chain. Ctr cog to ctr cog differences between shimano 9s and Campag 10s much smaller than shimano 10s and Campag 10s.

So I found a campy spacer and it almost fits around a Shimano body, it looks like it will go with some filing. so I'm going to order a Shimano 10 speed cassette and give it a try. if it doesn't work I can always go with 9 speed.

thirdgenbird
01-14-2017, 12:09 AM
If you have an 11spd hub, swap the 10spd spacers for 9spd ones. The thinner 10spd cogs will make it shift a bit better than a standard 9spd setup. You could do it on a 8-10spd hub, but there won't be enough room for all of the cogs. The 11spd freehub should be perfect.

Edit:
The sram/shim 9spd spacers may actually work better than campag ones. Shimano 10 cogs are a bit thinner than campag 10 cogs and the shim9 spacers are a bit thicker than campag10 spacers. It's been a while since I've done the math, but I think the c-c spacing ends up being quite close. Sram spacers should be a bit closer than shimano, but the difference is small.

Shoeman
01-14-2017, 10:09 AM
Won't the Jtek Shiftmate 1 work with this??
Campagnolo 8, 9 & 10 speed shifters & derailleur to Shimano 8, 9 & 10 speed cassettes or Shimano 8, 9 & 10 speed shifters & derailleur to Campagnolo 8, 9 & 10 speed cassettes. I've been thinking of trying one of these and dipping my toes into some Campagnolo Record 10 speed stuff. I've never tried Campagnolo, but I have several 10 speed Shimano wheels. I don't want to go 11 speeds at this point in my life. Pushing almost 70 & I don't really feel 11 speeds are needed anyway.

bshell
01-14-2017, 12:03 PM
on a 10sp Shimano cassette (Chris King hub) for 2 years on my 'gravel' bike and it worked great. It was nice because I got to use less expensive cassettes and chains from Shimano.

Incidentally, I bought a shim kit w/instructions (think it was from Wheels mfg. but would need to confirm) on how to set the 'perfect' cog spacing for Campy with these paper thin metal spacers that I never opened and would be happy to sell to anybody that wanted to try that route.

For that matter, the Chris King 'Classic Cross' hubset is avail too (black, 32hole).