PDA

View Full Version : Best gloves for cycling in extreme temps.

Hilltopperny
01-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I have been seriously slacking in my fitness and riding since late November. I tried to head out for a ride today and after a few miles my fingertips were frozen. I was comfortable otherwise, but the extreme cold in the tips of my fingers forced me home early. Are any of you guys riding in extreme cold and if so any glove recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm talking sub 20° temps.

ultraman6970
01-08-2017, 03:02 PM
I have like 4 pairs of globes for winter temps, not cycling specific, 2 of them have thinsulate and are so bulky that I barely used them, then have a cheap pair made of like wool and cotton, even with a hole moving around, thats my fav one, my wide bought a cheap pair of wool ones in like a 5 bucks store, those are her favs aswell... then we got at costco running type of globes, super nice and they work but not like for cycling too much due to the wind.

So what I did last year was to use those running ones from costco and use my wool/cotton ones on top, problem fixed in super cold temps.

stien
01-08-2017, 03:02 PM
My wife and I use these:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/apparel/cycling-apparel/cycling-gloves/bontrager-velocis-s1-softshell-glove/p/12403/

I was very happy with them at 20F with pretty extreme wind just a few weeks ago. Pretty breathable and we can still shift di2 or 5800 pretty well. I don't see the need for anything warmer, especially if you're making your own heat. Most of my recent rides with them have been pulling our two dogs in a trailer with a studded tire commuter. I'm making too much heat!

We rode yesterday during the blizzard on our fat bikes. The snow was so deep that our feet were leaving marks in it every time around! I had toasty hands.

TBLS
01-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Any lobster type glove.. buy a size larger than usual and use a liner glove

Or:

Pick up any windstopper glove ...avoid cycling specific and save $ by shopping in the ski or hunting gloves at sporting goods store...just saw a windstopper, insulated glove for $25 at Dick's

merckx
01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
I use ski gloves and Gore booties with chemical warmers when below 20 degrees.

rwsaunders
01-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Find a decent pair of snowboard gloves.

mbrtool
01-08-2017, 05:04 PM
RBH Designs Mittens work for me down to -4F actual temp. and I can still shift DI2.

Ray

Bob Ross
01-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Subbed.

My problem w/ ultra-cold weather cycling gloves is that the warmest stuff offers too little dexterity -- I find it really hard to shift gears wearing snowmobiling mitts! -- and the dexterous stuff just isn't quite warm enough, even with glove liners.

Today I rode in 20° temps with a 17mph wind that ostensibly yielded a 5°F RealFeel. I wore the Specialized SubZero glove, which is a 2-part system with a thick liner made of some space-age silver material, and an outer glove that's kind of a fleece-lined long-cuffed ski glove sorta thing. But I also wore the glove liner from the Assos Winter System underneath all of that! And my hands were fine!

But my ride was only 5 miles, so there's that.

mhespenheide
01-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Pogies or BarMitts are the only way to fly for serious weather.

Schmed
01-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Pogies or BarMitts are the only way to fly for serious weather.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I hated the lobster gloves and they didn't actually keep my fingers warm very long in sub 20s. Barmits keep me warm for MANY hours even at 0 degrees and just a thin glove.

Hilltopperny
01-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Just ordered some bar mitts. Hopefully I'll put them to good use:beer:

adub
01-08-2017, 08:21 PM
The problem with bar mitts is they lock your hands on the hoods. I had a pair and got rid of them because of this.

redir
01-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Lobsters are great but NOTHING beats Bar Mitts ;)

shovelhd
01-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Craft lobsters with poly liners and hand warmers on the tops.

rides2slow
01-09-2017, 12:10 AM
pogies or barmitts are the only way to fly for serious weather.

+1

cetuximab
01-09-2017, 03:50 AM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Good-Trigger-Finger-Mittens-Medium-Leather-Gloves-Winter-USGI-M1965-USMC-ARMY-/272325018368?hash=item3f67d60300%3Ag%3AH84AAOSwH3N XnJ92&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad1291660-d64f-11e6-ab19-74dbd180cb10%257Cparentrq%253A829ac4c51590a2af5770 570effbf5685%257Ciid%253A16

Cheap. Get the wool liners.

The trigger finger gives you enough dexterity to shift. If your index finger gets cold the mitten part has enough room to warm up the index finger next to other fingers. There is also room for a hard warmer is sub zero temps.

I tried the bar mits, but ride no handed, one handed too much.

SlowPokePete
01-09-2017, 03:56 AM
I've got Pearl Izumi AmFibs's, wear a thin liner underneath when really cold.

SPP

marciero
01-09-2017, 05:10 AM
Cheap thin neoprene liners go under everything. (Fox River I believe) I never leave the house without them on-cycling or not. I can pick up a dime with them on and they are surprisingly warm by themselves. They are warmer than the Assos glove system liners. Sometimes I wear the Assos over these as base layer. After that, either Marmot 8000 Meter mitts or OR Firebrand mitts. I have the military version of the latter. Both of these are two piece with substantial inner mitt-down in the case of the Marmot. Into the 20's I often can get away with just neo liner-Assos liner and an outer mitt, or lately, liner and just OR inner mitt.

Bob Ross
01-09-2017, 05:22 AM
The problem with bar mitts is they lock your hands on the hoods. I had a pair and got rid of them because of this.

^^^This. I've seen guys become a liability on group rides because they couldn't disengage from their BarMitts fast enough to signal effectively.

Hilltopperny
01-09-2017, 06:18 AM
I'm going to invest in some good gloves as well. I ride out in the middle of nowhere and by myself. Not too many cars pass me on my routes so signaling shouldn't be an issue. I appreciate the insight and recommendations from everybody!

93legendti
01-09-2017, 07:03 AM

That's why they didn't work for me...

saab2000
01-09-2017, 07:09 AM
I bought a pair of 45North gloves at the end of last winter. They're almost too warm if you're not in the temps you mentioned.

There are different levels of these, but they are made for cyclists by cyclists. I'm impressed with mine.

http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/sturmfist-4

douglas
01-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Pearl Izumi Amfibs bought one size too large work well.

tctyres
01-09-2017, 07:31 AM
I just got a pair of Hestra xc ski mitts. I recommend them, and they are even better if you buy a size up and use liner gloves.

Ray
01-09-2017, 07:57 AM
Boxing gloves. Beat yourself repeatedly about the head and face until you get past the urge to ride in such extreme temperatures...

daker13
01-09-2017, 08:40 AM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Good-Trigger-Finger-Mittens-Medium-Leather-Gloves-Winter-USGI-M1965-USMC-ARMY-/272325018368?hash=item3f67d60300%3Ag%3AH84AAOSwH3N XnJ92&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad1291660-d64f-11e6-ab19-74dbd180cb10%257Cparentrq%253A829ac4c51590a2af5770 570effbf5685%257Ciid%253A16

Cheap. Get the wool liners.

The trigger finger gives you enough dexterity to shift. If your index finger gets cold the mitten part has enough room to warm up the index finger next to other fingers. There is also room for a hard warmer is sub zero temps.

I tried the bar mits, but ride no handed, one handed too much.

An intriguing option. I just pulled the trigger--er, bought a pair.

Hand warmth must be very personal. I've read a number of these threads, and it's always surprising to me that some people are saying things like, wear two pairs of wool gloves and others are recommending bar mitts and heat packs. I'm doing something wrong, because under 25 degrees my hands are usually cold (I use windproof non-cycling gloves with glove liners).

cdn_bacon
01-09-2017, 08:54 AM
tested up to -21 C commutes.

1)nitrile gloves (box of 100 is $9.99)
2)thermal layer knit gloves ($11.99)

very flexible gloves, outer layer doesn't come into contact with your skin so even if it's wet and cold you still have an extra layer between.

Fatty
01-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Pearl Izumi Amfibs bought one size too large work well.

Couple seasons on Amfibs. Like em a lot. I usually take a size large, the Amfibs fit a bit loose in that size.

druptight
01-09-2017, 09:47 AM
I think this whole thread should come with a YMMV disclaimer as foot and hand warmth are totally different by the person based on tolerance and circulation, but for me - I typically have more trouble with my toes than my hands.

For hands, down to about freezing I use a pair of unlined gore windstopper gloves, once my body warms up my hands are always fine in these down to about 30. Below that I wear a pair of lined gore windstopper gloves, and I've never really had trouble.

Toes, I can't seem to keep those things warm no matter what I do.

stien
01-09-2017, 09:52 AM
I think this whole thread should come with a YMMV disclaimer as foot and hand warmth are totally different by the person based on tolerance and circulation, but for me - I typically have more trouble with my toes than my hands.

For hands, down to about freezing I use a pair of unlined gore windstopper gloves, once my body warms up my hands are always fine in these down to about 30. Below that I wear a pair of lined gore windstopper gloves, and I've never really had trouble.

Toes, I can't seem to keep those things warm no matter what I do.

When it gets really cold, we switch to 45north boots for riding. My road shoes don't have room for big socks and even with a bootie there is still a vent hole at the toes.

Ti Designs
01-09-2017, 09:55 AM
I do a fair bit of photography off the bike, which has it's own challenges. Winter in New England tends to be cold and dark, so there are some long exposures and I need my fingers to change settings on the camera. My hands freeze, and they go back in my gloves that way. I've concluded that external heat is needed. Bar mitts with a heating element were considered, a friend of mine uses fueled heaters but my rides are much longer, and I only need the added heat when I get back on the bike. I've gone with 12v glove liners with a battery mounted on the bike. The trick here is economy, just wearing the glove liners I almost can't tell when they're on. With my lobster mitts over them they feel toasty warm. With the frozen hand problem solved, I've turned my focus on other areas. They sell motorcycle handlebar heaters which are just just patches that heat up. I'm now making a base layer with a heated spine from the neck to the lumbar...

Mzilliox
01-09-2017, 09:58 AM
i would die if i wore all the **** you guys put on your hands, are you kidding me? all i have to do is keep the wind off, but im cursed/blessed with furnace hands. so for me its a pair of "Specialize deflect" which is the wind proof winter glove the bike shop had around. just enough to keep my hands warm, but not turn them into mitts.

of course are we talking about really riding or managing to get out on the bike for a few? because actually riding like for real in mitts would suck. maybe some fun times fat biking it works, but for actual road riding ho can you feel anything with those hams on your hands?

redir
01-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Boxing gloves. Beat yourself repeatedly about the head and face until you get past the urge to ride in such extreme temperatures...

Hahahahahaha... BEst answer so far :D