PDA

View Full Version : TRP CX 9 Brake/Fork Shudder?

jmeloy
01-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Road my gravel bike for the second time in a week. Last week, braking was perfect. After that ride I removed the front wheel to clean up the bike. Rode today again and had a severe shudder with the front brake. Checked to make sure wheel was centered and pads looked to be in the right spot. Likely cause?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jtbadge
01-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Headset bearing preload is this next thing I would check.

oldpotatoe
01-08-2017, 05:17 AM
Road my gravel bike for the second time in a week. Last week, braking was perfect. After that ride I removed the front wheel to clean up the bike. Rode today again and had a severe shudder with the front brake. Checked to make sure wheel was centered and pads looked to be in the right spot. Likely cause?
Thanks!

Kinda unusual for mini-v's but 'slow down' the pads, toe them some..

genbar
01-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Thanks!

Toe in.

It may not be easily visible but the rear part of the pads may be angled inwards -ever so slightly- (IE toe out in the pic).

jmeloy
01-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks all will check them this morning.

eddief
01-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Why would it work fine and then shudder after cleaning your bike?

estilley
01-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Had the same issue with Cantis on my Easton fork.

Switched to CX 8.4's and all was good. I did however toe in with a double layered rubber band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmeloy
01-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Why would it work fine and then shudder after cleaning your bike?

Wish I knew!

David Kirk
01-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Wish I knew!

Most likely because you cleaned it.

Dust and dirt gets evenly distributed on the rims and brake pads and when you clean these things that goes away and the pads can grab unevenly. This is especially true is there is any soap residue on the rims that was allowed to dry.

If you take some talcum powder and shake it into a rag and run that over the rim's braking surface and brake pads I'll bet it stops.

dave

dustyrider
01-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Provided the brakes are still setup correctly you might look at the pads/rims and see if they have any glazing. It might look like a slight sheen or appear glassy and be super smooth to the touch. If they seem to be glazing, you can rough up the pads/rims with sandpaper. Don't go crazy sanding, use the appropriate grit to accomplish the task.
I'm betting you bumped the toe out while cleaning! Good luck.

.RJ
01-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Clean the rims & pads with acetone. Toe them in slightly - I use my drivers license or thin card on one end of the pad while I squeeze the brake lever and tighten up the carrier mounting bolt.

You will get shuddering, howling, awful brakes if they are not toed in. And if they are toed in too much, they feel mushy. But when they work they're awesome.

Ken Robb
01-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Since the brakes were fine before you cleaned the rims I agree with the idea that you created uneven coefficients of friction in different parts of te braking surface. Cleaning with alcohol on a rag might work. If that doesn't do it acetone might because it's a stronger solvent.

I sometimes use fine sandpaper or emery cloth first.

Another good product is a rim cleaner sold by Mavic. It is a block like hard rubber with fine abrasives embedded in it. I bought a product I think is identical for much less $$ from an equestrian supply company. They call it hoof cleaner.

jmeloy
01-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Thanks gang, I'll run through these suggestions!