PDA

View Full Version : Want to race Dirty Kanza? Want to be in a documentary? Want a new bike?

Chris
01-07-2017, 05:24 PM
If you haven't seen this (http://yonderjournal.com/project-y/project-y-v1-apply/), you should check it out. We are looking for five people to give a bunch of stuff to and provide entry to Dirty Kanza. Check it out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jgrooms
01-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Those chosen keep the bikes?

Does one have to use that bike? How about my own Specialized bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berserk87
01-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Selected subject-athletes will travel to Portland, Oregon for a team camp where they will be evaluated by team of experts, equipped with gear, and assigned Dirty Kanza time goals.
This event is slated to take place over a weekend in March 2017. Details announced soon.
Transportation to and from team camp will be worked out on an individual basis.
Accommodations will be provided for subject-athletes.

Who is paying for the travel and accommodations? Travel to Portland, Oregon, round trip, would cost me more than the Dirty Kanzaa trip, just as an example.

Dead Man
01-07-2017, 06:35 PM
woah.. thats my hood

sorta

but im pretty new to gravel, so I can't really express a passion for it. and dont even know what dirty kanza is.

Dead Man
01-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Maybe I missed it... didn't see anything about race support? Sorta seems like they'd offer race support, given everything else they're providing, but that'd be a deal breaker for a lot of people thinking about applying.

Chris
01-07-2017, 07:06 PM
You do have to use the bike.

Support is yet to be determined. Each rider will likely need to provide their own support at the race.

tiretrax
01-07-2017, 08:40 PM
I have seen that. Interested to see the final project.

weisan
01-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Calling Joosttx and Velotel...pronto!!!

berserk87
01-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Maybe I missed it... didn't see anything about race support? Sorta seems like they'd offer race support, given everything else they're providing, but that'd be a deal breaker for a lot of people thinking about applying.

There is no support for Dirty Kanzaa - that's the part of the point. Google the event and you will start to see what it's about. It's unique and pretty cool. It's not for the casual rider. It's one of the most epics events on a bike, for amateurs anyway.

I've never done 200 miles in a single day, much less on roads with huge gravel, through the Flint Hills.

I had designs on doing it a few years back. To build for it, I signed up for an "Ultra Cross" race of 65 miles, with muddy "unmaintained access roads" and 12 miles of single track. I had not ridden single track in about 15 years, at all, until that day. The best part was the gravel, but that was hard too because it was very hilly. The access roads were pretty bad, with streams to cross about every 200 yards. There was a lot of standing water and mud. My hubs were underwater a few times. This event about wrecked me, so the dream of Dirty Kanzaa faded quickly.

The event's mission statement:

The mission of the Dirty Kanza 200 is to provide the ultra-endurance off-road cycling community with a high quality event at an exceptional value. We will strive to effectively utilize the ruggedness and remoteness of the Flint Hills region to properly challenge the self-sufficiency of event participants, while at the same time provide an appropriate level of support, to ensure an enjoyable, life-enriching cycling experience.

Dead Man
01-07-2017, 09:33 PM
There is no support for Dirty Kanzaa - that's the part of the point. Google the event and you will start to see what it's about. It's unique and pretty cool. It's not for the casual rider. It's one of the most epics events on a bike, for amateurs anyway.

I've never done 200 miles in a single day, much less on roads with huge gravel, through the Flint Hills.

I had designs on doing it a few years back. To build for it, I signed up for an "Ultra Cross" race of 65 miles, with muddy "unmaintained access roads" and 12 miles of single track. I had not ridden single track in about 15 years, at all, until that day. The best part was the gravel, but that was hard too because it was very hilly. The access roads were pretty bad, with streams to cross about every 200 yards. There was a lot of standing water and mud. My hubs were underwater a few times. This event about wrecked me, so the dream of Dirty Kanzaa faded quickly.

The event's mission statement:

The mission of the Dirty Kanza 200 is to provide the ultra-endurance off-road cycling community with a high quality event at an exceptional value. We will strive to effectively utilize the ruggedness and remoteness of the Flint Hills region to properly challenge the self-sufficiency of event participants, while at the same time provide an appropriate level of support, to ensure an enjoyable, life-enriching cycling experience.

I'm basing that question off the website's declaration that there's no promoter support, so you'll need to arrange your own.

You seem to be confusing promoter support with rider support - obviously the promoter is offering no support - hence my question - but you're still going to need to be fed and watered at the checkpoints .. And that means support. Hence my answer

AngryScientist
01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
There is no support for Dirty Kanzaa - that's the part of the point. Google the event and you will start to see what it's about.

from the "Bible":

Dirty Kanza 200 is not an event for entry-level cyclists.
Participants are solely responsible for their personal well-being,
will have to make their own informed decisions, and suffer
the consequences of those decisions. Please be aware… if you
break down or become injured, it is YOUR responsibility to
contact your support crew to come get you. DO NOT CALL
US. WE WILL NOT COME RESCUE YOU. EVENT PROMOTERS
AND SPONSORS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY
AND WELL-BEING. If you sign up for this event, make sure you
have a support crew with a well thought out emergency backup
plan. If you do not feel you are prepared to meet such a
challenge, please consider a shorter route option. If you do not
have your own support crew, consider our support crew forhire
option, as described on our online registration page.

GScot
01-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Yeah 200 miles of that means you're already in excellent condition and trained for it today. I could see myself with 7 plus weeks of total slacking getting in shape for the 100 mile ride but 200 is brutal.

rwsaunders
01-07-2017, 10:51 PM
That's an interesting offer for the right individuals and I bet that there will be no shortage of applicants.

kevinvc
01-08-2017, 12:36 AM
I'm basing that question off the website's declaration that there's no promoter support, so you'll need to arrange your own.

You seem to be confusing promoter support with rider support - obviously the promoter is offering no support - hence my question - but you're still going to need to be fed and watered at the checkpoints .. And that means support. Hence my answer

What do you say? Are you up for a mutual suffer-fest?

Mikej
01-08-2017, 07:22 AM
It's not worth a free bike....on a sunny day it's not, let alone rain.

Jgrooms
01-08-2017, 08:13 AM
It's not worth a free bike....on a sunny day it's not, let alone rain.

Its worth it even without two free bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170108/29e880f5d14441e00c0fa2a7fee569fa.jpg

jmal
01-08-2017, 08:33 AM
from the "Bible":

The support crew they refer to is only allowed at designated checkpoints. If you receive help on the course you are disqualified. The crews for hire are an option if you do not have a crew to help at the checkpoints, and the money goes toward charity.

SpeedyChix
01-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Roll back the clock a few years, or even this year if the spring wasn't already packed...this would be so so much fun. Although the self-video thing isn't my gig.

ptourkin
01-08-2017, 09:13 AM

Don't be a Nick

https://farmdogsaresprinttraining.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/welcome-now-stop-ruining-gravel/

tctyres
01-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Don't be a Nick

https://farmdogsaresprinttraining.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/welcome-now-stop-ruining-gravel/

Guitar Ted had a similar write up on him.

I was under the impression that there is neutral support (ie water and snacks) at specified aid stations, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: Rule 12 covers neutral support.

Jgrooms
01-08-2017, 10:03 AM
You have support, if you brought or paid for it, in three designated check points. That's it. Otherwise, you are on your own. Maybe the route goes through another town? You can stop at a ranch & ask for water, done that, but you are on your own.

Nick was a tool & a study in how to not handle SM.

However, being a tool is not exclusive to Nick. I rolled through Bazzar one year & racers had people meet them their to water up. Guys who knew the location, as its the start of a long running road race & on a highway.

People playing fair are nursing 100 oz to the next ck point - it was hot! - and they carry half that & get all they need. BS :-(

If I see something like that in the future, I'm taking a pic :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berserk87
01-08-2017, 10:17 AM

It is true that I am confused - I don't know what you are talking about at this point, but it doesn't matter. You seem to have it figured out...I think.

Dead Man
01-08-2017, 11:31 AM
It is true that I am confused - I don't know what you are talking about at this point, but it doesn't matter. You seem to have it figured out...I think.

You're unsupported while riding, but you need to have a "team car" or at least wife-in-a-car to deliver food and water and spare tubes to the checkpoints, and to pick your ass up if you DNF halfway through a segment.

joosttx
01-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Its worth it even without two free bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170108/29e880f5d14441e00c0fa2a7fee569fa.jpg

Its worth just doing it.

I have tried to get a couple of my midwestern collegues to join me in this. They all declined. This is on my list of things to do. Hmmmm.

And who cares about support.