PDA

View Full Version : Shim for fork dropout to get more tire clearance?

NHAero
01-07-2017, 03:29 PM
The tire clearance on my Nagasawa road trainer fork is tight - I'm currently running 23s. The rear has plenty of clearance for a larger tire. Does anyone make a shim to go in a fork dropout that drops the wheel down 3-4mm, or has anyone come up with a clever way to do this? The hubs are Phil Wood so held on with blots rather than a QR.

Thanks

Cicli
01-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Never heard of such a thing and thats likely a very bad idea. I want as much grab on the front dropout as possible. I wouldnt feel good riding a setup like that.

thirdgenbird
01-07-2017, 03:31 PM
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126216323?gclid=CJ-pm9L9sNECFYeNswod1PQDDA

Make sure you have plenty of dropout for the bolt.

Cicli
01-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Those are for track style dropouts on the rear of a Monkey. Keep the wheel in place when running geared. Rears are 10mm. Fronts are 9mm. I doubt those would work on the front.

thirdgenbird
01-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Those are for track style dropouts on the rear of a Monkey. Keep the wheel in place when running geared. Rears are 10mm. Fronts are 9mm. I doubt those would work on the front.

I've heard of it being done but I don't know if it required modification. Not sure I would recommend it up front either way. I would be more tempted to swap to a soma fork assuming it's got more clearance.

NHAero
01-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that link.
It looks to me as though there is plenty of dropout to grab onto with a drop of, say, 3mm. If there isn't a gizmo to do this, maybe I'll cast something out of JBWeld.

m_sasso
01-07-2017, 05:09 PM
You might want to try a different rim width size first, my BMC TR02 front fork is similar, can't run anything larger than a 23mm on a 14.4mm inner rim width. A wider rim will actually allow the tire carcass to occupy a larger circumference.

ultraman6970
01-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Change the fork?

m_sasso
01-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Change the fork?

Not a really viable option, he could have Nagasawa build a new one $$$$$, however might as well change frames if your going to consider doing that.

NHAero
01-07-2017, 05:25 PM
So the narrower inside dimension of the 19mm rim in the graphic is pulling the tire bead inward and "using up" some of the circumference in that manner? My wheels are Deep Vs, so outside width is 19mm, not sure I can go much narrower than that.
Thanks!

You might want to try a different rim width size first my BMC TR02 front fork is similar, can't run anything larger than a 23mm on a 19mm inner rim width. A wider rim will actually allow the tire carcass to occupy a larger circumference.

David Kirk
01-07-2017, 05:33 PM
I can't advise against trying to shim the front axle down in the drops strongly enough - do not do this!

As mentioned above the dropout spaces are meant for rear slotted 10mm axles and these will not fit a front dropout - thank god.

If you want to keep that fork in that frame then the only thing you have to play with is rim width and tire size. The illustration above does a good job of showing that tire rolling diameters change a lot and are only roughly related to tire width. The best thing you can do is look for the widest low profile tire you can find.

Carla from the TV show "Cheers" once said a line about "spitting out your teeth link a mouthful of Chicklets" and that is the first thing that comes to mind when lowering the axle in the front drops.

dave

sandyrs
01-07-2017, 05:41 PM
The tire clearance on my Nagasawa road trainer fork is tight - I'm currently running 23s. The rear has plenty of clearance for a larger tire. Does anyone make a shim to go in a fork dropout that drops the wheel down 3-4mm, or has anyone come up with a clever way to do this? The hubs are Phil Wood so held on with blots rather than a QR.

Thanks

Absolutely do not do this! If it's important to get bigger tires, get a new fork. If it's important to keep the bike "as intended," run the tires that fit the bike!

m_sasso
01-07-2017, 05:41 PM
You are correct, with those rims does not look like you have much to gain by going to a narrower rim. If your fixed on a bigger tire on that frame possibly 650 wheels?

http://www.velocityusa.com/images/made/files/uploads/Deep_V_1_272_450.png

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697881391&stc=1&d=1400806111

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697881395&stc=1&d=1400806188

bicycletricycle
01-07-2017, 05:44 PM
I had thought about this before, something like a white industries ENO rear hub for the front.

I don't think you could just shim it out. The dropout shape is the real limiting factor but most front dropouts are very shallow.

If you had a hub that took a bigger hallow axle like a white industries m15 I could machine you some eccentric axle caps or something.

I don't think the Phil woods could be adapted easily

thirdgenbird
01-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Pretty frame. Seems like an ideal candidate for a new fork.

NHAero
01-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Thank you all for trying to save me from myself!
I will live with the 23 on the front, and put a 25 on the rear at least. It's a 1988 frame and I had it re-painted almost 3 years ago, and am reluctant to get a new fork made. It's odd that on the rear the brake pad holders are down at the bottom of adjustment - any more clearance and I'd need a longer brake - and the front pad holders are almost at the top of the adjustment slots.
Thanks!

ultraman6970
01-08-2017, 12:31 AM
This is probably what a japanese would be asking himself (specially the builder of it) about this type of stuff...

"We made the frame so our "Track riders" could ride in the road, so the bike eventhought has more relaxed angles it will have barely clearance to put brakes in it and 23 mm clinchers, with that in mind why somebody might be wanting to put CX size tires in that bike? Is beyond me"

IMO if the wheel still clears I dont see the problem, or just put a thinner tire in the front wheel, doubt will be that noticeable, just pump 80 psi instead of 120 and that thinner tires will be softer.

Another option that I have seen... just file the fork a little bit to give you more clearance. If its the front brake caliper the problem i would just take it off, but that is just me. Ran track training bike like this ones with only a rear brake for years, once you get strong enough you can stop the fix gear bike in a dime w/o using the brake calipers anyways unless we are talking about SF hehe that in that case I would run with both calipers ;D

Last resort? get a cheap road fork.