PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go backwards on the primary bike?

Cicli
01-07-2017, 02:51 PM
I am looking at a bike that is straight backwards in thechnology. Standard sqware taper crank, threaded headset and DT shifters. Its in good to great shape. Thinking of making it a primary rider. Its a nice Max frame with Campagnolo so its got a bunch going for it.
Thoughts? Anyone go down that road and regretted it? I am asking about a primary rider, not a sunny sunday rider.

Thanks.

91Bear
01-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Yeah. I have a Bianchi with brifters and 10-speed. I built up a Ciocc with 7700 and downtube shifters. I go back and forth between them.

thirdgenbird
01-07-2017, 03:28 PM
I've debated selling my singular with a mint record 10 group for a custom with friction downtube shifters.

stien
01-07-2017, 03:33 PM
If you aren't racing, I don't see why not. My eventual focus on rando type events after a racing stint will have me back on DT shifters.

Matthew
01-07-2017, 03:39 PM
I don't fit the bill completely but I think I can offer a little bit here. I have three bikes. A Moots Compact with Shimano 7800, a Serotta Meivici with 7900 and a Colnago EPS with Campy Chorus/Record 11 speed mix. So on paper the Moots would be the more old school, ti frame and older group set. Of the three I probably prefer my Moots. It just feels right on virtually every level. All are very close in fit, etc. The Colnago would be next on my preferred list. Great ride, and love the Campy stuff. The Serotta is a close third. Sometimes the new technology doesn't do it for everybody. I would love to rock a steel bike. Just don't have the budget for one now. I would do what you think is best for you, what will get you on the road and make you happiest. Lots of folks here have probably done exactly what you are considering.

classtimesailer
01-07-2017, 03:40 PM
My primary was my RS with 7900. Two years ago, I put 7700 on it with DT shifters. Now it has 7700 with bar ends and cloth tape. It is still my go fast bike. I commute on 5 speed Simplex so take that into consideration.

choke
01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
I spend most of my riding time on my Strada Bianca. A few months ago I removed the 10sp Ergos and replaced them with normal brake levers and friction DT shifters.

I am very happy with the change and have contemplated doing the same to some of my other bikes as well.

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/070416c.jpg

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/070416d.jpg

palincss
01-07-2017, 04:02 PM
I am looking at a bike that is straight backwards in thechnology. Standard sqware taper crank, threaded headset and DT shifters. Its in good to great shape. Thinking of making it a primary rider. Its a nice Max frame with Campagnolo so its got a bunch going for it.
Thoughts? Anyone go down that road and regretted it? I am asking about a primary rider, not a sunny sunday rider.

Thanks.

Sure, why not? I don't personally care for downtube shifters, bar ends do it for me, but everything else.

Tickdoc
01-07-2017, 04:07 PM

Thanks.

Yes on the threaded headset, yes on the square taper bb, no on the dt friction shifters. I like ergos just fine. I like clipped pedals as well.

Forwards, backwards, makes no difference as long as you are pedaling with smiles.;)

fiamme red
01-07-2017, 07:04 PM
I recently built up a bike with 6-speed Suntour friction downtube shifting and have been doing most of my long rides on it.

ultraman6970
01-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Hey cicli, which bicycle are you talking about? :)

IMO there's nothing wrong riding as real man does, with friction down tube shifters :)

Between you and me, speeds havent change that much between 50 years ago and nowadays, specially if you are not racing.

Dana Kilalps
01-07-2017, 09:27 PM
I got a mid 80's 531c Flying Scot with mid 80's components and was so taken with the ride I abandoned completely a Colnago Master with Campag 10 speed. But over a few months, I began to miss the quicker shifting on the Colnago, especially on challenging routes, and went back to that as the primary bike. I'd considered changing the shifters on the Flying Scot, but felt a reluctance to compromise the period correct experience of the bike that had a certain appeal.

charliedid
01-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Hard to crowd source this sort of decision. Give it a shot and see how well it floats your bottom bracket.

kingpin75s
01-07-2017, 11:22 PM
I spend most of my riding time on my Strada Bianca. A few months ago I removed the 10sp Ergos and replaced them with normal brake levers and friction DT shifters.

I am very happy with the change and have contemplated doing the same to some of my other bikes as well.

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/070416c.jpg

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/070416d.jpg

I really like a LOT of little things about this bike. Really nice.

Going backwards? I never moved forward in some regards. Prefer SqT, 9 speed 2x and bar ends for consistency in cockpit and mechanics across road, gravel, mountain and snow. Simple is good reliable and durable if you are content with it. Minor weight penalties may apply. ;)

Kirk007
01-08-2017, 12:22 AM
I bought a Merckx MXLeader Motorola replica and built it up with new Dura Ace. Sold it 6 weeks later. It was a very nice bike but for me not a match to current steel (Kirk and Pegoretti) or current ti (Spectrum) or a C50. I have a Team Motorola bike (Frankie Andreu's from '94 with Dura Ace 8 speed that was built up with a lighter fork like on a corsa). It is a very nice ride, nicer than the replica I think, but it doesn't fit very good. It's a keeper for sentimental reasons but it only gets ridden at nest once or twice a year. I was hoping to recreate a modern version of that bike that fit with the replica bike but the reality didn't live up to my imagination.

You can certainly go back in time and get a wonderful bike and you may like it better, I did not. But like the earlier comment - tough decision to crowd source.

aingeru
01-08-2017, 12:57 AM
What is to regret??

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/colnago-master--27963

oldpotatoe
01-08-2017, 05:11 AM

Thanks.

Well, I have a MXLeader with EPS and Moots Vamoots with friction DT shifters, 6s freewheel. Nothing to regret, they both make the ride very nice.