PDA

View Full Version : Yawn, Campagnolo disc brakes - are any out there?

d_douglas
01-06-2017, 05:55 PM
So, I know this has been done to death, but I am asking because I have heard from a friend affiliated with a local shop that a wealthy client is having a No22 road bike built with them - as in, they are a reality and the shifters are mechanical.

Is this true? He said they are waiting for them, so he hasn't seen them yet, but that certain companies might have access to them.

If this is the case, I am assuming that they would only be in Super Record or Record format, not lowly Chorus :(.

Anyways, just curious if anyone has ever actually held this stuff in their hands as of yet?

Hilltopperny
01-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Not sure, but if the build is being assembled at the no22 factory, I just might have to go have a look. Very curious to see these in the flesh.

FlashUNC
01-06-2017, 06:35 PM
The demo bits were out with that announcement last year, but still Tech Labs branded stuff, so not what they'd deem ready for prime time yet.

I'd think they'd do a larger announcement about it if it were imminent.

Sure it isn't mechanical discs with Campy shifters? Cuz that's already a thing.

PaMtbRider
01-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Campy reps at the Philly Bike Expo said disc brakes would be available to oem builders in April / May and general public a few months later.

oldpotatoe
01-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Campy reps at the Philly Bike Expo said disc brakes would be available to oem builders in April / May and general public a few months later.

yup..doubt this no22 gent is getting mechanical and wet discs, now..If anything, the 'first' will be EPS.

d_douglas
01-07-2017, 09:14 AM
yup..doubt this no22 gent is getting mechanical and wet discs, now..If anything, the 'first' will be EPS.

Thanks - that must be it. I know it's a few months off as the shop is ordering three - one for this client, one for my friend and one other, so he's painfully aware of the delay to get the brakes.

My buddy said it was mechanical shifting, but maybe he's mistaken. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the bike industry, though - and a total tech nerd...

d_douglas
01-07-2017, 09:19 AM

So Pete - it'll only be coming with Super Record level stuff for now :(?

oldpotatoe
01-07-2017, 09:24 AM
So Peter - it'll only be coming with Super Record level stuff for now :(?

EPS is Chorus, Record and SR..I suspect the first will be compatible with all 3, with new levers, but one caliper/rotor. EPS levers are identical except for graphics and connectors on Chorus. AND then 3 mechanical levers, Chorus/Record and SR, all again with the same disc brake caliper and rotors.

d_douglas
01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Thanks Peter.

Though I am looking for hydraulic brakes, just curious - are you saying that the mechanical shifters will receive a mechanical disc brake caliper as well?

I kinda thought Campy wouldn't bother with this...

R3awak3n
01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
/\ thats not what he means.

I think they will release both a mech and and eps shifters but its a good point about releasing 1 version and not chorus/record/super record.
We know by the demo pics that they have both direct and post mount calipers.

PaMtbRider
01-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Again, this is from my conversation with the Campy reps in Philly. There will be both mechanical and eps shifting versions of the disc brakes. Discs will be hydraulic on both versions with no cable actuated disc options. Available in Chorus, Record, and Super Record. I would bet that Peter is right about one caliper being offered that is compatible with all 3, and not 3 seperate iterations of the same design.

d_douglas
01-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks! I wonder what the lowest level Mechanical setup would cost?

Makes sense that they'd only provide one setup for mechanical and one for EPS - same as Shimano chose?

oldpotatoe
01-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks Peter.

Though I am looking for hydraulic brakes, just curious - are you saying that the mechanical shifters will receive a mechanical disc brake caliper as well?

No, hydraulic discs.

oldpotatoe
01-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks Peter.

No, hydraulic discs. And one caliper for all '6' levers. 3 EPS and 3 mechanical.

gfk_velo
01-08-2017, 10:04 AM
It's largely pointless speculating in too much detail because there are no definite decisions made, even now.

We have an evaluation / demo Tech Lab set built onto a frame so that we can do some late-stage evaluation as "pro-sumers" and to put together a full training package for training OEMs, Wholesalers and then ProShops / other parties - but we have been made very aware by the factory that the final specs, line up and configurations are still potentially subject to change, so the product we have is still under technical discussion embargo (so don't ask ...), for a while yet.

We have an idea and have had some input into the ranging, of course but lots of things can happen last-minute to bring about changes in specification / configuration.