PDA

View Full Version : Baum, Mosaic, Peg, Trek? Above Category

ptourkin
01-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Anyone else do a double take in their inbox?

https://abovecategorycycling.com/journal/introducing-trek/

saab2000
01-06-2017, 05:39 PM
The Trek is more advanced and high tech than the other three on that list. I'd ride one.

beeatnik
01-06-2017, 05:39 PM
I believe they're dropping Pina. The Trek Madone is the best American-Made bika since...

mistermo
01-06-2017, 05:41 PM
I believe they're dropping Pina. The Trek Madone is the best American-Made bika since...

Does the C'dale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod Nano count?

ltwtsculler91
01-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Trek has been killing it lately with their top level models of the Emonda, Madone, and Domane. They're better than you'd think

R3awak3n
01-06-2017, 06:00 PM
I agree. Was looking at the Domane and its a cool bike. And I bet they will sell their fair share of treks.

ptourkin
01-06-2017, 06:02 PM

I know. And with their custom program it makes sense. A journo friend just got a Madone from it and it is very good.

Just having fun.

Matthew
01-06-2017, 06:03 PM
I'd say they've done fairly well over the years. Would love to throw a leg over a new model. Have had a handful of road and MTB's over the years and all have been very good bikes.

beeatnik
01-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Does the C'dale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod Nano count?

That's the Best Race Bike Designed in North America.

christian
01-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Of those four, I'd buy a Trek for sure. I had a Pegoretti - nice, but not as nice as a modern carbon bike. Mosaic does little for me and Baum has officially supplanted Serotta and Parlee in turn as the most-dentist bike there is.

Hilltopperny
01-06-2017, 06:27 PM
I own some nice bikes and rented a 105 equipped aluminum domane on my honeymoon. I was very impressed with how smooth and efficient it was. Makes me wonder what the top tier bikes ride like.

Big Dan
01-06-2017, 06:27 PM
No thanks....

:eek:

FlashUNC
01-06-2017, 06:32 PM
The race shop from Trek is pretty phenomenal in person. I'd get an Emonda and not think twice about it. And their secret menu geometry models are the jammy jam from a handling standpoint.

GonaSovereign
01-06-2017, 06:34 PM
This is a good move. Treks are really good and will benefit AC, and selling through AC is good for Trek's brand. Trek has historically been a good brand to retailers.

As a former bike shop employee, I can tell you that having Trek as an option is a huge advantage.

drewellison
01-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Trek has been killing it lately with their top level models of the Emonda, Madone, and Domane. They're better than you'd think

How many more names can Trek come up with using a,d,e,m,n,o?

How about ADemon? NoMade? ADoper? DameOn?

Tickdoc
01-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Meh.

kgreene10
01-06-2017, 06:59 PM
I see the logic in it if AC can package the idea for its particular clientele in the way their write up tries to do. The risk is that customers come to think of AC as just another shop instead of the elite of the elite that it has been. I say that with all respect. I like the shop and Chad.

Mikej
01-06-2017, 07:20 PM
I see the logic in it if AC can package the idea for its particular clientele in the way their write up tries to do. The risk is that customers come to think of AC as just another shop instead of the elite of the elite that it has been. I say that with all respect. I like the shop and Chad.

Think of it like this though, are they AC, only going to sell those few top tier bikes from trek? I believe that is the plan, and it would bring in a separate level of clientele vs a regular trek dealer. I would say they hit it out of the park with those models in the article, and my bud has a new Emonda that made me look- it's sweet!Ac and trek - who'd a thought....

saab2000
01-06-2017, 07:56 PM
I'm trying to figure out why Trek is less desirable than Pinarello or Colnago. They're still worshipped brands but really offer no more to today's customer than Trek or Specialized.

The boutique brands are fun and all, but don't really offer much beyond uniqueness that the big brands don't offer.

My biggest issue with the big bike brands is how they try to control the whole retail experience, from sock and computer purchases to tires and tubes and wheels and saddles and bar tape. Everything is Trek or Bontgager branded in their big box stores, and that's a shame. It makes business sense but turns off the individualist consumer, which most of us probably are. But their bikes are not undesirable from my perspective.

kgreene10
01-06-2017, 07:58 PM
I know it's not a thread on Trek but I will say that they have been extremely generous to our middle aged club. I had an Emonda SLR 9. Amazing bike but sadly it didn't work for me. The rear end was to unforgiving and it's the first bike to bother my lower back. Now I have a Madone 9.2. It's fantastic in many ways though I'm still struggling with the fit and don't have the room I need to maneuver with the one-piece bar-stem deal.

livingminimal
01-06-2017, 08:07 PM
The 2012ish and beyond Treks are really, really nice bikes. They're also kind of a pain in the ass to work on, apparently. I know of a shop that was putting an EPS kit on one of the Trek Segafredo team issue bikes (for public consumption it even had Shimano branding on it. Funny.) and said all the cockpit integration and **** was a nightmare to deal with for routing...they could use eTap, but that **** sucks ;)

My guess is AC needs the bread and draw a brand like Trek can produce. No shop, I don't care what market you're in or how boutique you are is gonna survive off of Baum and Open Cycles.

I also wonder if Trek did something with them the minimize the 250k credit minimum Spesh/Trek/Cdale does to a lot of shops. Probably with the idea that it would spark conversations exactly like this, with a shop like AC giving Trek some boutique street-cred, because it flies in the face of the idea of direct-to-consumer sales. Basically my guess is this relationship goes beyond sales for Trek, and AC needs an anchor brand for revenue.

eric01
01-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Makes sense to me. The other 3 brands don't have a carbon offering. Trek fills that gap nicely

Not to mention their high end bikes are quite nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sg8357
01-06-2017, 08:28 PM
The 2012ish and beyond Treks are really, really nice bikes. They're also kind of a pain in the ass to work on, apparently. [snip]

There you have it, nice bikes that require dealer service, lots of creaky
proprietary parts you can't get from wiggle. How to fight the interbunny and win.

CDM
01-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Maybe I be been out of the arms race too long but it seems sheep follow these well crafted scenarios no matter. I d put my cervelos and times up against these treks any day.

velotrack
01-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Trek makes great bikes. Just wish I didn't have to pay so much for the H1 geometry (on the SLR models) - come on, not everyone needs a 17cm headtube on their 54cm top tube frame!

adub
01-06-2017, 08:49 PM
Maserati, Lamborghini, Ford GT?

I believe it works.

choke
01-06-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out why Trek is less desirable than Pinarello or Colnago. They're still worshipped brands but really offer no more to today's customer than Trek or Specialized. They all have the same level of desirability to me.....zero.

But.......I can at least see why the two Italian\Taiwanese brands are more desirable for many people, they both have a long and glorified history in racing and for many that counts for something. Trek also has a racing history but, at least at the top level, it is much more recent and a lot of that was built on that guy from Texas.

roguedog
01-06-2017, 10:49 PM
When I first started cycling more seriously, I tested a bike in a Trek shop a bit aways from me. I was really impressed with the shop. They took time for a newbie. Measured me up, found a size that fit me (and more importantly had one in stock) let me test drive 3-4 of their bikes. All without any pressure. It was totally cool and as a result I really wanted to buy my bike from them. But none of them felt quite right sadly.

I rented an Emonda a couple of years ago for ride out of state. I was toally looking forward to this given all the reviews I'd read. Minded it was not the top end specs and it was nice but I missed my bike. Maybe if I could upgrade the parts and fine tune the bike more I'd have enjoyed it more. Wasn't a bad bike.. just didn't really feel like anything .. special.

Much luck to AC. Yes when I saw that I did do a double take. I think it's a wise choice on both parties part.

earlfoss
01-06-2017, 11:01 PM
I rode one of the new Madones for a few days in L.A. about a month ago, and it was way nicer than I had anticipated.

Currently I am on a Colnago C60, and have ridden quite a few nice bikes over the years. The Madone was on par with the best I have ridden. If I had one, I'd race the hell out of it.

oldpotatoe
01-07-2017, 05:33 AM

No doubt but this isn't the Chad I know, who looks for exclusivity, not 'on every corner' type stuff. Very high tech and great product but we'll see if he likes being under the 'trek' microscope.

I agree with livingminimal above. A $/marketing decision.

Climb01742
01-07-2017, 07:14 AM
I wonder how much moving the shop influenced this decision? The move, seen from afar, seems aimed at growing the shop (which is cool). Their traditional product line-up has a well-heeled but limited market. To attract new and different clients, you need new and different products. Adding Trek feels like a byproduct of their growth strategy.

Personally, I'd just have a hard time riding a bike with Trek on the DT. Same with the big S. Both make great bikes (and I admit that if I rode a debadged Trek in a blind test I'd probably dig it), but I just have negative associations to both. However, I'd be happy to rock a C-dale. Not saying my feelings make sense, but somehow C-dale has held on to its cred (for me) while Trek and Specialized have degraded their appeal by trying to be all things to all riders.

A rider has so many good choices today for a great frame, I just can't muster the desire to ride a Trek or Big S regardless of how good they are. But that's just my .02.

Kingfisher
01-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Just bought a 2 year old used Madone 7 series from a friend and have to say it is really sweet...does everything well and the comfort of carbon make it my go to bike now. Going to end up selling my old csi and legend ti. I just ride the hell out of the trek now.

.RJ
01-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Everything is Trek or Bontgager branded in their big box stores, and that's a shame. It makes business sense but turns off the individualist consumer, which most of us probably are.

... And most people that walk into a bike shop arent :)

54ny77
01-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Call me a cynic, but I'll take a guess that sales of $20k bikes are down, so $10k bikes that are from a well known brand are better than no sales.

They do make a nice bike. And a new model seemingly every year, the prior year being 15% less awesome.

They sure are ugly though.

AngryScientist
01-07-2017, 09:00 AM
if i were running a very high end shop, i would absolutely carry a more pedestrian brand also.

people who have good 'spendin money are older, generally speaking. they have kids and family and friends they want to get into the sport.

when daddy warbucks gets his baum tuned up at AC, he doesnt want to drive across town to a different bike shop to pick up a trek for his son to ride with him, and he aint buyin that kid another baum until he knows sonny boy like ridin.

there are a whole bunch of good reasons to carry a slightly more affordable brand if you're a big shop, IMO.

i'd go cannondale before trek myself, but they both make great bikes.

54ny77
01-07-2017, 09:30 AM
If I recall, Signature Cycles, which is the original high end boutique shop, carried only the high end Specialized frames (Tarmac, Venge) for awhile, but that was awhile ago. Dunno how or if that ever played out.

Sounds like AC following that playbook.

Duende
01-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Maybe this decision was based on a desire for change rather than out of financial necessity.

Selling only elite bikes can get rather stuffy probably. This gives them the opportunity to "keep it real" and bring in some clients who otherwise might not give them the time of day.

Besides, it would be hard to imagine a shop that moves more Baums than AC. Pegs never hang around there for very long either. Also have seen personally quite a few custom Mosaics go out the door.

In terms of the Trek brand, I bet you they tried all the top brands on the road before making their decision.

It's an exciting new thing for them, hence all the press. But that will calm down eventually.

Fwiw, I just rented an Emonda SL over the holidays from Fairwheel when I went back home. Nice bike! Super comfy, good descender... couldn't find anything to complain about. :)

Big Dan
01-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Hype meets reality.

Give me a Cannondale any day.

happycampyer
01-07-2017, 11:34 AM
If I recall, Signature Cycles, which is the original high end boutique shop, carried only the high end Specialized frames (Tarmac, Venge) for awhile, but that was awhile ago. Dunno how or if that ever played out.

Sounds like AC following that playbook.
Iirc, that originally had more to do with extending their tri/tt offerings, and has mainly extended into dual-suspension mtbs and fatbikes. I don't think they sell a lot of the high-end Specialized road bikes. Other than the demo tri and fatbike, they don't stock anything from them. As far as accessories go, they probably offer the saddles since some of them are actually first rate, but nothing else afaik.

There's also an extended connection between Paul and the Specialized fit school, so I think the relationship is decades old.

54ny77
01-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Ahh, well that 'splain's it!

Iirc, that originally had more to do with extending their tri/tt offerings, and has mainly extended into dual-suspension mtbs and fatbikes. I don't think they sell a lot of the high-end Specialized road bikes. Other than the demo tri and fatbike, they don't stock anything from them. As far as accessories go, they probably offer the saddles since some of them are actually first rate, but nothing else afaik.

There's also an extended connection between Paul and the Specialized fit school, so I think the relationship is decades old.

soulspinner
01-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Can I just have a Crumpton and call it a day?:p

joosttx
01-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Can I just have a Crumpton and call it a day?:p

That day is more like 6 months. And that is its problem.

soulspinner
01-07-2017, 01:11 PM
That day is more like 6 months. And that is its problem.

No problem for me. Its the $ I cant part with.......

beeatnik
01-07-2017, 01:17 PM
These dudes just want to say they carry the best of the best. Best Ti, best steel and now best carbon. Simple and possibly true.

StanleySteamer
01-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Westpoint Cycles (in Vancouver BC) used to sell Serotta, Independent Fabrications and Kelly Bedford. I used to walk around the shop to ogle all three brands on the showroom floor and think about buying my dream bike from a local shop. Now Westpoint proudly sells Trek and has a sister store for the Triathletes. I wonder if AC will go down that road and become your local Trek dealer.

jlwdm
01-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Interesting to see on the 62 cm Domane the head tube is 59 cm longer than on the Domane Race. That is a big difference.

Jeff

jlwdm
01-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Of those four, I'd buy a Trek for sure. I had a Pegoretti - nice, but not as nice as a modern carbon bike. Mosaic does little for me and Baum has officially supplanted Serotta and Parlee in turn as the most-dentist bike there is.

The dentist comments are as stupid and uninformed now as they were when they were first used. The joys of the internet.

I am not a dentist.

Jeff

buddybikes
01-07-2017, 02:05 PM
I have a FF ti/carbon, I paid my dentist a lot of money recently = good thing I got my bike 3 years ago

RedRider
01-07-2017, 03:22 PM
From a business perspective, Trek supports their brand better than most in the business. A shop will never have to compete on price with a European dealer and there are no online sellers. Discount sales, when they occur, are usually at set pricing for all dealers. This works for the dealers and supports the value of previously sold bikes.
The Trek bikes can certainly compete with or exceed the quality of what you would call their competition.
OC is participating in the Trek Race Shop Limited program. These are only the top of the line models and not the entire Trek product line. They have the experience and staff that can sell these high end bikes with Project One finishes. The larger volume dealers struggle with these sales.

booglebug
01-07-2017, 03:30 PM
The aesthetics of a Baum may be pleasing but is the Ti really better than a Eriksen, Moots or Seven ?

zzy
01-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Having built a fair few high end Treks I can say they're damn good and innovative. I rode a Domane 6 with shimano hydro disc and they really got it right. Rides like a dream, takes big-ish tyres, zero road buzz. First OEM bike I rode in YEARS that I lusted after. Perfect gravel grinder. Also built a Silque SLR with the crazy adjustable seattube dampening. Customer LOVED it. The $13k Emonda SLR is a bit of a gimmick but I don't see any other major OEMs able to do that. Really like the new Madones too - aero and comfortable. Trek has definitely taken some big steps forward in terms of design, while Spec and CDale have just been slapping new paint on tired designs (or going full wacky with the ViAS stuff). Their townie bikes, eBikes, and MTBs are really my favorite to work on too. I sound like a shill but this is my honest experience having worked on them all.

joosttx
01-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Westpoint Cycles (in Vancouver BC) used to sell Serotta, Independent Fabrications and Kelly Bedford. I used to walk around the shop to ogle all three brands on the showroom floor and think about buying my dream bike from a local shop. Now Westpoint proudly sells Trek and has a sister store for the Triathletes. I wonder if AC will go down that road and become your local Trek dealer.

Probabky not since City Cycles is the local Trek dealer. Plus, most or a good potion of bike sales are not local.

Climb01742
01-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Having built a fair few high end Treks I can say they're damn good and innovative. I rode a Domane 6 with shimano hydro disc and they really got it right. Rides like a dream, takes big-ish tyres, zero road buzz. First OEM bike I rode in YEARS that I lusted after. Perfect gravel grinder. Also built a Silque SLR with the crazy adjustable seattube dampening. Customer LOVED it. The $13k Emonda SLR is a bit of a gimmick but I don't see any other major OEMs able to do that. Really like the new Madones too - aero and comfortable. Trek has definitely taken some big steps forward in terms of design, while Spec and CDale have just been slapping new paint on tired designs (or going full wacky with the ViAS stuff). Their townie bikes, eBikes, and MTBs are really my favorite to work on too. I sound like a shill but this is my honest experience having worked on them all.

I absolutely believe you. I'm sure their top bikes are remarkable. I don't think they have a technology or quality challenge. They have a marketing/perception challenge. It's hard for me to get the Lance years out of my head, not because of Lance, but because Trek tried to be everywhere and be all things.

I wonder if they did a dedicated marketing effort for the Trek Race Shop bikes that tried to create a cache and told a behind the scene story? It's just hard for a brand that once sought to be ubiquitous to now be aspirational. Or maybe that's just my hang-up.:D

Mikej
01-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Trek is also a shimano distributor, that may help.

Elefantino
01-07-2017, 05:11 PM
How many more names can Trek come up with using a,d,e,m,n,o?

How about ADemon? NoMade? ADoper? DameOn?
Am done.

Chris
01-07-2017, 05:13 PM
Interesting to see on the 62 cm Domane the head tube is 59 cm longer than on the Domane Race. That is a big difference.

Jeff

That's got to be one CRAZY looking bike.

livingminimal
01-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Maybe this decision was based on a desire for change rather than out of financial necessity.

Selling only elite bikes can get rather stuffy probably. This gives them the opportunity to "keep it real" and bring in some clients who otherwise might not give them the time of day.

You're from the Bay, yeah? You know better re: stuffy. They want the bread. I am sure they would rather sustain on Baum/Mosaic/Peg/Q365. If those brands were enough, that's all they would do. I work closely a very AC-esque shop (w/o the marketing and polish) believe me, if the process to bring in one of the big four (no one has mentioned Giant in this thread) wasn't fraught with peril they'd have done it too. The gamble and personal financial ruin that could come to some shops for the line of credit that has to be extended is too much to risk. This shop has a brand it does sustain on, but it isn't one of the big four.

Besides, it would be hard to imagine a shop that moves more Baums than AC.

They're the exclusive dealer for Baum in the US. You cannot buy a Baum from any other retailer.

In terms of the Trek brand, I bet you they tried all the top brands on the road before making their decision.

I maintain Trek gave them the best deal on credit and mutual marketing.

It's an exciting new thing for them, hence all the press. But that will calm down eventually.

Yup. I think more interesting is what comes next. Trek is great to a lot of shops, but what does that mean, other than great service, if it changes the culture and course of your shop. A lot of us watch AC for a lot of reasons that have never had, and never will have anything to do with a brand like Trek. Its their polish, their messaging, their exclusivity over certain brands, their marketing etc. How does Trek shake that up for a shop? Dunno. It's a lot easier to drop a brand with absolute ****ty support like Parlee or Colnago than it is Trek, once you've suckeled from the teet.

Sorry, I just find stuff like this kind of fascinating.

Dave B
01-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Not many shops carry the best that a brand has to offer. Higher overhead I would imagine. AC can and do as they know that niche well. So you can find your high end TREK there and oh while you re there looking for a brand you saw on a pro in a magazine or on tv you are introduced to even higher end stuff.

I also remind myself that whatever AC or TREK are trying to accomplish doesn't affect me in any possible way other than I chimed in on a thread where people either are fine or don't like TREK and there is a deeper secret societal meaning that only the select gurus know about.

I love bikes. I have had several TREK bikes, mostly during my Lance fanboy days. I liked them all and would happily ride a Trek again. It is a good company and honestly for as big as they are they handle their "business" rather well.

livingminimal
01-07-2017, 06:30 PM
I love bikes. I have had several TREK bikes, mostly during my Lance fanboy days. I liked them all and would happily ride a Trek again. It is a good company and honestly for as big as they are they handle their "business" rather well.

That's the part where I struggle with Trek. With the Lance and Lemond stuff, if they hadn't been absolutely on the wrong side of that **** stick, I would be rooting for the home team pretty hard. I don't want to turn this thread into a battle over that, but unfortunately as good as the bikes are (especially at the prices you can order a frame direct for) you won't catch me on one. sucks because they have done a LOT for cross.

beeatnik
01-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Cats who obsess over race bikas and can spend 20K plus are all looking at the Madone. Ten years ago, the Holy Grail was the 13# weight weenie bika w/ Lightweights. 13 pounds, 12 pounds, 11 pounds, whatever. Dudes w/ money who climb at 7mph need that extra kick. Now, those cats know Aero Is King. The Madone is the only suitable frame. Cervelo is too ugly. Spesh is too problematic. Felt is too downmarket.

In marketing-speak, I think it's called The Best of the Best.

Climb01742
01-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Yup. I think more interesting is what comes next. Trek is great to a lot of shops, but what does that mean, other than great service, if it changes the culture and course of your shop. A lot of us watch AC for a lot of reasons that have never had, and never will have anything to do with a brand like Trek. Its their polish, their messaging, their exclusivity over certain brands, their marketing etc. How does Trek shake that up for a shop? Dunno. It's a lot easier to drop a brand with absolute ****ty support like Parlee or Colnago than it is Trek, once you've suckeled from the teet.

Sorry, I just find stuff like this kind of fascinating.

It's fascinating to me, too. My biggest question is, who needs who most? The aura that AC could shine on Trek feels pretty valuable to me -- not for the larger bike market but for the more 'elite' customer that Trek doesn't have a great appeal for now. Both sides can benefit here, but AC runs a greater risk, IMO, and Trek stands to gain more, not dollars so much as cache. AC is kinda like a stamp of cool. I think Trek wants that. I'm fuzzier on what AC gets beyond some incremental sales. Maybe I'm wrong, but is Trek a game changer for AC? It adds something but how much? As you said, a fascinating business case study.

FlashUNC
01-07-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm fuzzier on what AC gets beyond some incremental sales. Maybe I'm wrong, but is Trek a game changer for AC?

Trek replaces Pinarello as the carbon road frames they sell. That's the biggest difference.

charliedid
01-07-2017, 07:52 PM
It's fascinating to me, too. My biggest question is, who needs who most? The aura that AC could shine on Trek feels pretty valuable to me -- not for the larger bike market but for the more 'elite' customer that Trek doesn't have a great appeal for now. Both sides can benefit here, but AC runs a greater risk, IMO, and Trek stands to gain more, not dollars so much as cache. AC is kinda like a stamp of cool. I think Trek wants that. I'm fuzzier on what AC gets beyond some incremental sales. Maybe I'm wrong, but is Trek a game changer for AC? It adds something but how much? As you said, a fascinating business case study.

"The aura that AC could shine on Trek feels pretty valuable to me -- not for the larger bike market but for the more 'elite' customer that Trek doesn't have a great appeal for now"

It seems to have pretty great appeal to wealthy immigrants as well as others. Some for prestige and an American product and others because they are really nice bikes right out of the box. To many TREK is a winning company on more than one level. Also consider that many of these will likely be purchased through the online channel and OC doesn't have to shell out anything in order to process that sale and stands to sell accessories etc. and a much better margin than the bikes themselves.

I think TREK is smart to sell their highest end through shops like OC

livingminimal
01-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Cats who obsess over race bikas and can spend 20K plus are all looking at the Madone. Ten years ago, the Holy Grail was the 13# weight weenie bika w/ Lightweights. 13 pounds, 12 pounds, 11 pounds, whatever. Dudes w/ money who climb at 7mph need that extra kick. Now, those cats know Aero Is King. The Madone is the only suitable frame. Cervelo is too ugly. Spesh is too problematic. Felt is too downmarket.

In marketing-speak, I think it's called The Best of the Best.

Man. this sentiment.
I saw a cat on one of those built out Di2 Madones the other day just suffering on the flat trail with no wind in sight. Hey, man, maybe dude had a kidney removed and just got back on the bike. who knows. It did register for me at that moment though that it seems all of these factors for Trek (their sponsorships [Trek Factory Racing is actually sorta a big deal, telenet fidea, and of course Segafredo]) their direct sales -3K gets you a pretty ****ing insane frameset. Why pay double for a cippolini or C60 or something? Support the home team. #merica. I used to wear a Livestrong armband. the Suburbs. I gotta go coach my kids soccer game later then have a scotch and a cigar and all that.

The one thing that makes me sad there is Felt. They make goddamn good carbon bikes. Its probably good (more sales) and bad (they aren't held up in these sorts of conversations) that they don't get the recognition they maybe/kinda/sorta deserve.

beeatnik
01-07-2017, 08:30 PM
I think the thing we're all forgetting here is that dudes with real money aren't exactly the most informed consumers. In other words, AC makes its own market.

The biggest bike baller I know told me he had to wait a few extra weeks on his 10K Cervelo Rca frame because, well, "you know those Italians."

The Bay Area is weird.

1centaur
01-07-2017, 08:37 PM
The interesting question to me is why AC picked Trek of all the prestigious carbon fiber bike makers in the world. They needed one (they know their customer base) and Pinarello (maybe due to LMVH's indirect buyout) is not that one. They don't need to work with a big company on their metal bikes, but for some reason they do want to work with a big CF company. Guessing it has to be something about margin, units, and reliably quick deliverability. There's a lesson on the CF builders somewhere in this story.

charliedid
01-07-2017, 08:58 PM
I think the thing we're all forgetting here is that dudes with real money aren't exactly the most informed consumers. In other words, AC makes its own market.

The biggest bike baller I know told me he had to wait a few extra weeks on his 10K Cervelo Rca frame because, well, "you know those Italians."

The Bay Area is weird.

:-)

Ozrider
01-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Well, the top end Treks are still "Handmade in USA" and Trek also offers the Project One custom paint options which makes each bike "custom" or unique. They are also pretty expensive, which places them above the average bike in terms of price.
Yep, they also make cheap entry level bikes, but then so does Colnago, Wilier, Specialized, Pinarello etc, etc.
I can certainly see the attraction of a custom paint program and the "Handmade in USA" label.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
01-08-2017, 05:56 AM
I absolutely believe you. I'm sure their top bikes are remarkable. I don't think they have a technology or quality challenge. They have a marketing/perception challenge. It's hard for me to get the Lance years out of my head, not because of Lance, but because Trek tried to be everywhere and be all things.

I wonder if they did a dedicated marketing effort for the Trek Race Shop bikes that tried to create a cache and told a behind the scene story? It's just hard for a brand that once sought to be ubiquitous to now be aspirational. Or maybe that's just my hang-up.:D

I agree. Kinda like trying to sell a very high end Toyota. 'Some' will come into AC, see a Trek and leave. Some will come into AC for a 'bike' see brands they have never heard of..and leave. I've had potential customers come in, see all the high end stuff, leave and blast on FB for being 'high end and elitist or 'huffy', even tho they talked to nobody.

BUT ya can't be everything to everybody. Chad and company are going to have to do a lot of, 'why Trek' type conversations, considering AC's reputation and past sales. Kinda like going into very high end jewelry store, sellng Rolex and....Bulova or Timex.

Mikej
01-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Another point to ponder for AC- along with Treks Shimano distribution channel, I know Trek also has a pretty good margin. I know riders and enthusiasts like ourselves really like and admire ours and others custom hand built rigs, but at some point a shop is barely able to make money off of us. We scour the web for parts and accessories in the most frugal manor, then want a pro shop to make $150 assembling it and maybe hope you swing by for tires in a few months. NOW, imagine pulling a 10k bike from a box that took ONE click to get, inserting post, turning bars and tossing on a front wheel. Run through the gears and you are virtually finished - for 40% margin-and without custom paint, you are riding an American frame made in Wisconsin in a week or two (where I live and know that trek funds many races rides series teams etc.)

Obviously the project one bike take more than one click, but you guys know what I mean...

oldpotatoe
01-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Another point to ponder for AC- along with Treks Shimano distribution channel, I know Trek also has a pretty good margin. I know riders and enthusiasts like ourselves really like and admire ours and others custom hand built rigs, but at some point a shop is barely able to make money off of us. We scour the web for parts and accessories in the most frugal manor, then want a pro shop to make $150 assembling it and maybe hope you swing by for tires in a few months. NOW, imagine pulling a 10k bike from a box that took ONE click to get, inserting post, turning bars and tossing on a front wheel. Run through the gears and you are virtually finished - for 40% margin-and without custom paint, you are riding an American made in Wisconsin in a week or two (where I live and know that trek funds many races rides series teams etc.)

Obviously the project one bike take more than one click, but you guys know what I mean...

First, all in less than 40 point margin. And I would hope the LBS did more to make sure the bike was ready.

Tim Porter
01-08-2017, 07:22 AM
I think AC's Trek connection is all about actually having something they can sell to a guy who comes in and is not looking for n + whatever. We all know that a Baum or (maybe) Pegoretti is going to take awhile, so AC is collectively standing around with its thumb up its ___ just waiting. And no guy looking for n is going to wait months and months.

Now, they can start a relationship with a high-end, expensive, exclusive, excellent bika and then they've got the guy for life when/if he becomes a student of the game.

Before this they did not really have "n". Now they have a perfect entry drug.

Mikej
01-08-2017, 07:29 AM
First, all in less than 40 point margin. And I would hope the LBS did more to make sure the bike was ready.

They come fully assembled as stated above, taped bars, etc. check bolt torque, also? Pump tires. I've seen it and actually picked two trek fat bikes in November. I actually took all of the bikes and wheels in boxes and assembled them myself. It's a friends store, so no 40% from me😉Why u up so early?😄Obviously there could be more to it, but in a nutshell- that's it.

Climb01742
01-08-2017, 07:31 AM
The interesting question to me is why AC picked Trek of all the prestigious carbon fiber bike makers in the world. They needed one (they know their customer base) and Pinarello (maybe due to LMVH's indirect buyout) is not that one. They don't need to work with a big company on their metal bikes, but for some reason they do want to work with a big CF company. Guessing it has to be something about margin, units, and reliably quick deliverability. There's a lesson on the CF builders somewhere in this story.

I bet this is part of the answer. Most folks here are willing to wait months, even years, for a bike. But there's a very sizable market that wants, and has the money for, essentially instant gratification. AC, or any shop, would be hard pressed to ignore that.

Walter
01-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Interesting comments here.

The reality is that Spec and Trek now make some damn fine bikes. Bikes that work really well for a lot of different folks and bikes that win races at the highest levels. There are those that are troubled by the Trek support of LA and some of the things that Spec my have done, but the bikes are the bikes.

Personally, my local Trek dealer arranged a tour of the Trek facility in Waterloo when I was in the area on business and the folks there were incredibly accommodating and genuine in their love for bikes. I had the pleasure of having dinner with Jim Merz and his stories of how the folks at Spec are so committed to cycling was impressive.

It used to be that if you wanted a really nice, good handling bike, you had to look away from US manufacturers and go with the brands like Colnago (I have done my time on C series bikes in years gone by). That is just no longer the case.

There are still those who want to buy the latest and greatest watches at big ticket prices (even though lesser brands work as well) because of the perceived halo effect.

AC can now appeal to a much broader spectrum of potential current and future customers which makes good business sense. If someone would now shy away from the shop solely because they handle high end Treks, that person is indeed nothing but a "profiler."

54ny77
01-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Not for nothing, but one of the BEST things about buying a bix box bike like a high end Trek, Specialized, etc. is, assuming you don't have crazy fit issues, you either ride it off the dealer showroom, or order it and voila, it arrives in short order. Instant or near instant gratification. And as others have said, their top end offerings are, by & large, top shelf in materials, design, etc.

In that process, you don't have to deal with all the b.s. that often comes with a boutique or esp. a custom build.

I've got a Tarmac S-Works, and would be lying through my fat gut that I need a frame more capable than my abilities allow. It's an awesome frame, and I'm sure the other top shelf offerings from Trek, Giant, etc. are all highly capable rigs, of course.

But as I said before, damn it all if it they ain't fugly as all get out, with those big fat tubes and goofy curves, including my Tarmac!

I'd prefer a round tubed, lugged carbon offering from Parlee or Colnago all day long. :bike:

572cv
01-08-2017, 10:06 AM
What particularly resonated for me in the article that started this thread was the discussion of the approach to building bikes that trek has stayed with over the years. Like the smaller custom builders, they try to do things in house. For me, an inveterate do-er, though inevitable amateur most of the time, the realization that they want to keep product development for carbon, etc, in house and learn from it incrementally tells a great story. That story sets trek apart to some extent. I can imagine how the retailer (AC, who I had never previously heard of here in these remote mountains) could position this to fit into their mission.

I've rather enjoyed this discussion.

Heisenberg
01-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Benefits to picking up a controversial bike brand: Getting to abuse them for five days solid to test their mettle.

https://abovecategorycycling.com/journal/the-escape-from-la-stage-1/
https://abovecategorycycling.com/journal/the-escape-from-la-stage-2/