PDA

View Full Version : how not to commute in the rain

thwart
01-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Uh, no.

Don't try this at home... if the car traffic slows, especially with driveways, cross streets and such around, slow with them. Fortunately, this guy came out of it (relatively) OK.

https://youtu.be/MMqtMxPufj4

saab2000
01-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Pass on the right at your own peril. There's fault to go around. That guy was screaming up the side of traffic pretty fast. The rain had little to do with it.

Passing on the right, on a bike or in a car, is fraught with danger.

eippo1
01-06-2017, 12:32 PM
I used to ride through there all the time. Not a good spot to blast through especially since there's a rotary dead ahead.

velofinds
01-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Brunelle is known for his daredevil riding style, which has led to some tension with some other riders and with authorities. Statements he has made to the press and his disregard for traffic laws have caused backlash from cyclists including some cycling advocacy groups (source (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Brunelle#Controversy)).

oldpotatoe
01-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Uh, no.

Don't try this at home... if the car traffic slows, especially with driveways, cross streets and such around, slow with them. Fortunately, this guy came out of it (relatively) OK.

https://youtu.be/MMqtMxPufj4

Van had signal on, I wouldn't have passed him. Ymmv and all that. Been right hooked before. Guy sure was calm...

sandyrs
01-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Don't give Lucas Brunelle the attention.

Oh, and that's where I go food shopping!

d_douglas
01-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Ive witnessed this first hand a few years ago. I was in a car directly behind a minivan that hit a cyclist riding dutifully in his lane, but in the end, cyclist pays - he went flying and rolled through a (fortunately) empty parking lot.

I pulled over as the primary witness, but in the end all was OK. A broken wheel, lots of scratches, a dented side panel, but no one died.

Ride cautiously!

OperaLover
01-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Always assume the vehicle is turning right; sgnal or not! One of those times it will save you. Van did have trun signal on. Cyclist should have been more careful. Glad no one was inujured and no ugly dispute ensued.

JAllen
01-06-2017, 02:08 PM
As others have said, that would be Mr. Lucas Brunelle. He's not exactly about safe and defensive riding techniques.

redir
01-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Oh he was trained how to crash at the Olympics so you know it's all good.

thwart
01-06-2017, 02:45 PM

My bad.

Should've figured as much when the video had this strange signature at the end.

What an idiot.

Probably ruined the day for the van driver, who was just obeying the rules of the road.

... and pissing off drivers about cyclists in general... possibly leading to the sort of 'driving' outlined in the thread about the pickup truck/trailer passing way too closely.

PQJ
01-06-2017, 02:53 PM
The guy's a nutjob. He should apply for a job in the next administration!:eek:

ultraman6970
01-06-2017, 03:35 PM
WHat about this? :D

charliedid
01-06-2017, 07:17 PM
That guy.

zmudshark
01-06-2017, 07:23 PM
My bad.

What an idiot.

Probably ruined the day for the van driver, who was just obeying the rules of the road.

... and pissing off drivers about cyclists in general... possibly leading to the sort of 'driving' outlined in the thread about the pickup truck/trailer passing way too closely.@thwart, I think I told you about that time I saw a group taking way too much road and thought 'that's why they hate us'. It was 'he who shall not be named' and his posse.:crap:

Privileged pricks (can I say that?)

MattTuck
01-06-2017, 07:24 PM

Oh, and that's where I go food shopping!

He's had some fun videos in the past, and some really scary ones. I believe you're coming off an overpass where this happens, so probably carrying extra speed from that, not that it makes it any better... but I bet a lot of folks on bikes are moving pretty quick there.

This is Alewife Brook Parkway, near the Chipotle, correct?

redir
01-07-2017, 08:01 AM
My bad.

What an idiot.

... and pissing off drivers about cyclists in general... possibly leading to the sort of 'driving' outlined in the thread about the pickup truck/trailer passing way too closely.

I'm not so sure about that.

Black Dog
01-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Yup. The driver has the responsibility to check the bike lane before he crosses through it. There is no expectation that the cyclists are to yeild afaik. For the record if I were on a bike I would assume that the van would be turning into me.