PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Bike Computers?

Clancy
01-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Getting tired of not being able to see the screens on my Garmin 520. Thinking of getting a Wahoo Element.

Who out there is using one and what do you think?

Lewis Moon
01-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Love mine. The buttons are the only thing I don't like.

ANAO
01-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Love mine. Buttons are better than garmin!

Nooch
01-06-2017, 08:54 AM
I looked at it, but feel like it's massive, no? I want the ELMNT features in a RFLKT (now discontinued, I believe?) size... Like a garmin edge 500 on 'roids.

ANAO
01-06-2017, 08:59 AM
I looked at it, but feel like it's massive, no? I want the ELMNT features in a RFLKT (now discontinued, I believe?) size... Like a garmin edge 500 on 'roids.
Why do you care about the size of it? It's smaller than the 1000. Closer to the 800 in size.

The 510 and 520 were too cramped for me. This is a great size.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/fe88dcb82de0c4991a0be3b51d7b8e5e.jpg

Nooch
01-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Why do you care about the size of it? It's smaller than the 1000. Closer to the 800 in size.

The 510 and 520 were too cramped for me. This is a great size.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/fe88dcb82de0c4991a0be3b51d7b8e5e.jpg

maybe it's just that it felt chunky, visually -- angular, thicker than the 1000, albeit smaller. Obviously it's not a huge deal -- I'd like to retreat back to my 500 just because it was simpler. I feel like I've got too many options with the bigger ones (but, I have them, regardless), but I'd like the user interface of the ELMNT (the iphone setup, etc...)

I've got good eyes -- I never had an issue with the 500, but had the opportunity to upgrade and did (and kinda dig mapping).

ANAO
01-06-2017, 09:42 AM
maybe it's just that it felt chunky, visually -- angular, thicker than the 1000, albeit smaller. Obviously it's not a huge deal -- I'd like to retreat back to my 500 just because it was simpler. I feel like I've got too many options with the bigger ones (but, I have them, regardless), but I'd like the user interface of the ELMNT (the iphone setup, etc...)

I've got good eyes -- I never had an issue with the 500, but had the opportunity to upgrade and did (and kinda dig mapping).

After having realized there are other (gasp!) options out there besides for Garmin, that do as good as, if not better a job than, the big playa, I'm never, ever, ever going back.

AngryScientist
01-06-2017, 09:47 AM
how is the mount on these things? similar to the garmin 1/4 turn thingies? are they compatible with the slew of outfront typed mounts out there?

Mzilliox
01-06-2017, 09:48 AM
After having realized there are other (gasp!) options out there besides for Garmin, that do as good as, if not better a job than, the big playa, I'm never, ever, ever going back.

so you like yours?

what is the primary use of your guys computers? hookup to PM for readouts? maps? Heart rate monitoring? or just tracking progress on rides?

what are you guys getting out of these little machines?

sandyrs
01-06-2017, 09:52 AM
how is the mount on these things? similar to the garmin 1/4 turn thingies? are they compatible with the slew of outfront typed mounts out there?

It's quite similar, apparently to the point of being able to fit into some Garmin mounts, even. Most out-fronts these days have interchangeable interfaces like the K-Edge or are available specifically for Wahoo.

All the information anyone could hope for is here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/wahoo-elemnt-gps-bike-computer-in-depth-review.html

ANAO
01-06-2017, 09:55 AM

K-edge makes an in-line (aero) out-front one that I love. They also include a plastic one that's just meh. I should order more of the k-edge ones. The interface is very similar, though not the same. You can unscrew the garmin mount and insert a wahoo one if you wanted, but you'll need clearance by the bars as this is a bit longer than most garmins.

so you like yours?

what is the primary use of your guys computers? hookup to PM for readouts? maps? Heart rate monitoring? or just tracking progress on rides?

what are you guys getting out of these little machines?

Yeah Matt! I've been on mine since 07/01. I control my kickr with it if I'm not in the mood to setup an entire workout on zwift or TR. Also, hooked up to Powertap, quarq, etc. If you're into data, this thing collects and displays an entire slew.

The only thing I wish it had, which it still doesn't (maybe one day, as Wahoo seems to roll out new features monthly or bi-monthly through pushed software updates) is a live graph showing your power/heartrate/pre-selected metric for that ride. Kind of like an elevation profile, or more specifically, the graph at the bottom of a workout in Zwift or TR, or after a ride in Goldencheetah.

I would love to be able to gauge my efforts in a break off knowing how I've alloted my W' and power up to that point in a race, in theory. In practice, I'm always just redlining it by feel.

I like to use mine to get places too. My in-laws live about 65km from my work and I ride up there once or twice a month on Fridays for the weekend. I like exploring different routes so the map option is great (lots crisper than the garmin; streets are super legible) as is the "route to" option they released last month, which is basically turn-by-turn where you can create/edit the route on the fly from your phone (after a 2 min. pit stop, of course) and then it will wirelessly sync with the unit. I like that you can manipulate the route while you're riding. Garmin never allowed that.

dem
01-06-2017, 10:22 AM
ELEMNT features I'm surprised I like/use:

1) ridewithgps cue sheet integration
2) the multi-colored power/heart rate LEDs. If you ride with power, it is pretty cool to be able to know your zone with just your peripheral vision and not stare at the screen
3) auto-notification of ride start and tracking (my wife likes this)

Things I knew about that made the ELEMNT compelling:
1) Live & recorded Smo2 and THB readings with BSX/Moxy.
2) Larger and more readable screen than the 520/510.
3) Wahoo actually seems to care about their cycling products. Garmin it seems like a buggy afterthought, where they add random, half baked features or spend massive amounts on things that have no hope (garmin segments anyone?)
4) For my general use, the 520 was worse than the 510 in many ways - screen readability, tiny buttons, sensor reliability (drop outs!), gradiometer lag, ascent calculation, etc.

ANAO
01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
ELEMNT features I'm surprised I like/use:

1) ridewithgps cue sheet integration
2) the multi-colored power/heart rate LEDs. If you ride with power, it is pretty cool to be able to know your zone with just your peripheral vision and not stare at the screen
3) auto-notification of ride start and tracking (my wife likes this)

Things I knew about that made the ELEMNT compelling:
1) Live & recorded Smo2 and THB readings with BSX/Moxy.
2) Larger and more readable screen than the 520/510.
3) Wahoo actually seems to care about their cycling products. Garmin it seems like a buggy afterthought, where they add random, half baked features or spend massive amounts on things that have no hope (garmin segments anyone?)
4) For my general use, the 520 was worse than the 510 in many ways - screen readability, tiny buttons, sensor reliability (drop outs!), gradiometer lag, ascent calculation, etc.

In response to your last point, kind of, I find myself ending up with different elevation than my buddies' Garmin units, without fail, every single ride.

I wonder who's more accurate. I usually have less elevation.

dem
01-06-2017, 10:42 AM
I've been riding the same in-n-out 16 mile route for.. well.. a long time (15 years) pretty much a couple times/week. This is generally rolling up hill with a short climb at the end, then I turn around and come back. I have ridden it at least 20+ times with the following computers:

Polar 720i - ~850
Garmin 500 - ~900
Garmin 510 - ~1350 (outlier)
Garmin 520 - ~720 (outlier)
ELEMNT - ~830

Others:
Strava correction - ~750
Ridewithgps route - ~930

So for me, I'd say ~900ish is about the right level of sampling/smoothing. Your point is valid in that there is no 'wrong' or right, since you could go down to the mm level and you'd be climbing everest every time. :)

Riding with the 520 it is quite obvious of course, you can simply ride over a 15 foot hill and it will be so slow to react it never shows any ascent added. The longer the ride, the more egregious it is.

The 510 has the reverse problem - it is hyper sensitive.

Lewis Moon
01-06-2017, 10:56 AM
I will state from the outset that I came to the elemnt from the 500, so the screen size was a wonderful improvement. I'm more of a fan of rounded buttons so the weird triangle shaped buttons on the side are hard to deal with. Also the front buttons are integrated into the case so they are a bit hard to hit with a gloved hand.
I love:
the automatic upload
real time tracking (for my wife)
being able to program the unit from my phone (bigly)
being able to see the stats from my ride on my phone right after
the little programmable lights
getting texts or seeing who a call is from on my screen (wife recovering from cancer, daughter in high school)
the folks at Wahoo seem to actually care
it's not a Garmin

Things that were expected and are there:
build quality is great. Even the USB cover...
our front mount is OK
display is very clear and visible
great battery life

Things I thought I'd love but find meh:
live segments