PDA

View Full Version : The "Will this kill me?" thread

Lewis Moon
01-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Heh...Stupid human tricks and Karnage Kausing Kludge Kwestions go here:
My contribution: I'm getting a track bike that I'm going to set up Hipster Fixie Style (tm) for commuting. I have a set of in-line (cross top) brake levers lying around and was wondering if I could press them into service as regular levers mounted close to the stem. I took a look and a BMX brake cable with a ball end will fit into the the back side receptacle (where the in-line cable housing goes) just fine so the levers would work just like usual. Anyone see a downside to that?

stien
01-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Doing it on my "cruiser" tandem with road cables. We weigh a little under 300# together. Just keep an eye on the ball end, make sure it doesn't fray. Haven't had any issues in a few years of casual use.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Heh...Stupid human tricks and Karnage Kausing Kludge Kwestions go here:
My contribution: I'm getting a track bike that I'm going to set up Hipster Fixie Style (tm) for commuting. I have a set of in-line (cross top) brake levers lying around and was wondering if I could press them into service as regular levers mounted close to the stem. I took a look and a BMX brake cable with a ball end will fit into the the back side receptacle (where the in-line cable housing goes) just fine so the levers would work just like usual. Anyone see a downside to that?

Nope, done it many times for yous hipster fixie guys. Not stupid, cuz ya got a brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDO2HgczU38

cmbicycles
01-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Probably. ;) If it doesn't kill you, it just makes you stronger.

I've seen this done many times. So long as the levers are in a convenient place, the cable is tight and the end is seated it should work fine. A dedicated brake lever holds the cable head so it won't move, on the cross style levers there is nothing behind the cable head so it can move a little when the cable stretches. You may get slop in the lever, but otherwise it will still pull the brakes closed.

Lewis Moon
01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks! It'll be nice to have a set of brakes that I can pop off intact to run the bike on the track.

Ti Designs
01-05-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm planning on combining my love for cycling, rock climbing and photography - seemed like a stupid enough idea to me. There are plenty of bridges in the Boston area without much adult supervision, I plan to belay off with a few cameras hanging off my harness. What could go wrong???

charliedid
01-05-2017, 09:41 AM
You will probably be fine :-)

That said you really just want the front brake. You also are required to have a pair of Vans, a bluetooth speaker attached to a Chrome bag and a ThickSlick for all that skidding you are going to be doing. You should also, for good measure alway carry at least a set of wheels on your back at all time.

I know you live in Az. but regardless of the weather, never ever change what you wear on the bike. And for additional good measure wear a pair of pants that shows just a bit of yer A$$

That's all I got.

Lewis Moon
01-05-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm planning on combining my love for cycling, rock climbing and photography - seemed like a stupid enough idea to me. There are plenty of bridges in the Boston area without much adult supervision, I plan to belay off with a few cameras hanging off my harness. What could go wrong???

Rap off and carry an ascender with an aider and a daisy chain attached. That will allow you to tie off to take pics then continue to rap or, in a pinch, use the rap device along with the ascender to climb back out.

chiasticon
01-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Not stupid, cuz ya got a brake.what he said. only stupid if you have no brakes. it's questionable if you need both brakes for a fixie, but definitely preferable. some of them don't have a hole in the brake bridge though (or cable routing to get to it).

Tickdoc
01-05-2017, 09:57 AM
you'll need to grow a mustache and find some decent ragged cut-off jean shorts, but should be fine :beer:

Ti Designs
01-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Rap off and carry an ascender with an aider and a daisy chain attached. That will allow you to tie off to take pics then continue to rap or, in a pinch, use the rap device along with the ascender to climb back out.

The bike is coming with me, probably on it's own line - I don't like the idea of that first step with the bike attached... It's going to be a one way trip down, I don't see getting back up with all the equipment. I'm bringing both the fisheye and the ultra wide, large glass elements banging into the bridge could get expensive.

icepick_trotsky
01-05-2017, 09:58 AM
This is how most fixed gear bike come when sold complete.

batman1425
01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Used that exact setup for 4 years commuting nearly every day. Perfectly fine.

FlashUNC
01-05-2017, 10:16 AM
You'll be fine.

Dead Man
01-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Yer gonna die.

Lewis Moon
01-05-2017, 10:18 AM
what he said. only stupid if you have no brakes. it's questionable if you need both brakes for a fixie, but definitely preferable. some of them don't have a hole in the brake bridge though (or cable routing to get to it).

My Benotto Modelo 1700 is a later model and has a road brake bridge in back....an actual bridge which will allow me to run a set of Kampy Khorus brakes complete with hidden bolt. As for cable routing, I'll either use the customary zip ties or painter's tape. I was thinking about getting a set of old Kampy Kable guides but that would just add so much hip that I would be in danger of becoming a Hipster Singularity and collapsing the galaxy.

Hey look: I just hit 4000...do I level up?

Lewis Moon
01-05-2017, 10:22 AM
The bike is coming with me, probably on it's own line - I don't like the idea of that first step with the bike attached... It's going to be a one way trip down, I don't see getting back up with all the equipment. I'm bringing both the fisheye and the ultra wide, large glass elements banging into the bridge could get expensive.

My suggestion is to do what solo big wall climbers do with their haul bags on raps: attach it to your harness with about 20 feet of cord. Just lower it to length before you take the first step. I've never done this but I believe you attach it to your belay loop so that it doesn't pull you over.