PDA

View Full Version : Changing screen names = changing Karma?

Bruce K
07-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Ever since I changed screen names bad things have been happening on the bike.

Minor crash at 1mph 2 weekes ago cost me a 3 week old rear wheel.

Near miss last week with idiot Toyota driver.

ANd the topper was yeaterday, a MAJOR crash while doing my last big pre-PMC warm-up ride on my Ottrott.

Riding through York Beach, Maine just after the turn-around point of an 85 miler (yes, in the 85+ heat), 2 girls stepped out from between parked cars right in front of my freind Ethan. He locked up his brakes trying to stop and I, riding behind him did the same. unfortunately my front and his rear got tangled up. I managed to get us disengaged but that put me on a collison course with these two brain dead kids. I managed to make a last minute turn to avoid hitting them but the rear wheel caught and I ended up going over the handle bars landing on my back and bouncing my head off the pavment.

The Atmos did it's job, but lanfding on spare tube, cell phone, and the other stuff in my back pockets did a real number on my back. Various cuts, scrapes and bruises round out the injury list.

After the arrival of York Maine's ambulance, Rescue Squad, a fire engine, and a police cruiser, along with a lifeguard from the beach (a cyclist), I was cleaned up and bandaged. I decided to try and ride the 40 miles back to our start as a trip to the hospital would require someone to drive up to Maine to retrieve me.

We had averaged almost 18 going North and we averaged around 15 going South as I had no power for hills or accelerating from turns or stop signs. But I did make it all the way back.
Bike damage seems to be limited to a slightly tweaked rear wheel (truable) and scapre on my 2 ride old saddle, bar tape, a slightly misaligned stem, and damage to the shifter covers on my D-A 10 speed shifters (cosmetics).

I am REALLY sore today and standing, bending, and lifting are a real challenge. My spine feels pretty good, but I have 2 huge matching bruises high up on each side of my butt.

So I am switching screen names back my original in the hopes of restoring my biking karma.

BK

wwtsui
07-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Bruce --

Dunno about the answer to your question, but I did want to say that I'm sorry to hear about your mishaps and crashes -- hope you heal quickly, and are feeling better by the PMC!

Bradford
07-30-2006, 11:10 AM
I sprained my ankle 3 days before my first PMC and rolled up to the starting line wearing an air cast. I kept the cast in my rack bag and put it on at all the rest stops so I could walk around. I was constantly aware of how much my ankle hurt and wasn't sure how long I could go that day until I rolled around a corner and saw a poster on a tree. It was a picture of a little boy who had lost his hair from the chemo. It didn't say much, just his name, his birth date, and the date he died. I didn't feel any pain after that. It may hurt now, and it will hurt more Sunday night, but something tells me you'll find the strength somewhere along the route.

God speed, Bruce, ride well.

Serpico
07-30-2006, 11:17 AM
tough luck, get well soon bro

Smiley
07-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Get better Bruce and did you switch to Spacecowboy or something like that :) Seriously it took me awhile to figure out who you were !

Climb01742
07-30-2006, 01:55 PM
hope you heal quickly, but i'd be careful about your back. it sounds like your back took a hard hit. alignment issues could creep up later. if you ever go to a chiro, maybe have him/her give you a once over, just to be safe.

shinomaster
07-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Gosh I didn't know you did! What was it?

39cross
07-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Yikes! No Monday ride for you I should think. Sorry to hear this happened. I hope you have a swift recovery.

I thought you were on vacation, since I hadn't seen any bruce_k posts.

stevep
07-30-2006, 05:12 PM
welcome back bruce.
drink 6 beers and 4 shots tonight..tomorrow you will ride 25 mph easy.
read it online.
steve

dave thompson
07-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Hell drink 6 beers and 4 shots, you'll still hurt but you won't care! :D

Ginger
07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Bruce. C'mon now. Don't go putting yourself out of comission before the Ramble!

I hope you're feeling better in a few days.

Remember to do some gentle stretching...

Welcome back

quattro
07-30-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm glad Bruce K is back, sorry to hear about your misadventure and I hope you are feeling better, you just can't be to careful out there. With a little R and R plenty of advil and a little luck you should be ready for this weekend, looking forward to seeing you Saturday, best wishes for a complete recovery!

quattro

I just wanted to add, GO YANKS!

Bradford
07-30-2006, 09:02 PM
I just wanted to add, GO YANKS!

Can't we have just one thread that doesn't mention dopers? :D

quattro
07-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Bradford, did you happen to notice who is pitching for "your team" this evening? I'll leave it at that.

We'll miss you this weekend at the PMC, hope all is well with you and your family.

best regards,

quattro

oh...and.....I just wanted to add...well, you know the drill :banana:

RABikes2
07-31-2006, 07:19 AM
BRUCE!!!!! :confused:
Sorry to hear of your mishap, but glad to read you are okay! I'll call later to check in with you. Keep positive!
RA

leftyfreak
08-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Bruce?

Here's hoping you're starting to feel better and will feel up to laying the smackdown on quattro for his Yankee obsession. (In the interest of full disclosure, I'm actually a Blue Jays fan. Third place rules!)

We'll be looking for you in Wellesley on Sat. morning!

Ian

Bruce K
08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I should be there according to the chiro I saw last night.

He made many things feel better and 1 thing feel worse, but overall, an improvement.

I am forgoing any riding until at least Thursday bewteen the heat and the aches, but he actually tells me one of the best positions for what is injured will be on the bike. Something about lengthening my spine and stretching my lower back.

No guarantees about laying any smack on quattro. I haven't ever done it before, so why now? I'll settle for just riding all the way to Provincetown.

Besides, he's starting early from his house on Saturday. :D

BK

quattro
08-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Bruce, glad to hear you are feeling better, still undecided about a Needham start v. a Babson start Saturday. We probably won't decide until Friday. The weather looks excellent for the weekend! Either way I'll look forward to hooking up with you at some point Saturday. Have a safe ride.

Regards,

quattro

Oh, by the way, we're all tied up! :D

Bruce K
08-02-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm not heearing any gravitationally challenged women warbling just yet.

I am probably going to be on a blue Concours at this point as the LBS may not have enough time to get the Ottrott fully checked out in time.

See you Saturday.

BK

Climb01742
08-02-2006, 04:35 AM
good luck, guys. thankfully, the heat is supposed to break tomorrow. bruce, not sure if this qualifies as a floyd moment, but aleve might make the weekend easier. hang tough. i'll send positive vibes your way this weekend.

ClutchCargo
08-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about your mishap(s) and welcome back, so to speak!
hope everything goes well on the ride. If the predictions hold, the heat will break by then . . . it'll be just warm enough to make those Harpoons go down easy.

Ride on!

Bruce K
08-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Given that we will be in Provincetown, I think clarifying that Harpoon Brewery is a major supporter of the PMC and supplies the beer might be in order. ;)

See you at the Cafeteria flagpole at 5:30 on Saturday.

BK

ClutchCargo
08-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Given that we will be in Provincetown, I think clarifying that Harpoon Brewery is a major supporter of the PMC and supplies the beer might be in order. ;)

See you at the Cafeteria flagpole at 5:30 on Saturday.

BK

omigosh! now you're making me blush . . . :o

Bradford
08-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I just logged on to the PMC.org website and saw that the first picture on the home page shows a very handsome man on a Dave Thompson's old Legend ST (second in line). :D

Bruce, too bad he moved to Denver and won't be riding with you this year.

Bruce K
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
I was wondering who that nutcase was that couldn't hold his line! ;)

We'll miss you.

Here's a Harpoon for ya! :beer:

BK

Bradford
08-02-2006, 02:22 PM
It's funny you mention that. I actually remember exactly what happened there. I was chugging along in my steady rhythm and the guy in front of me decelerated when he got out of the saddle. I had to veer out towards the center line or I would have run the moron over. :crap:

Nothing like pack riding at the PMC; if there is a stupid thing that can be done on a bicycle, someone will do it within a few feet of you.

Bruce K
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
To quote our bud Fixed....

I hear you bro!

BK