PDA

View Full Version : Budget build - FS mtb

weisan
01-04-2017, 08:43 AM
So I was never really into MTB, even though I have got a couple of old hardtails in the past, but I ride mostly on easy trails, nothing too technical or hardcore.

I would like to try my hand in building up a FS MTB. And here's the catch, I am going to try and do that with what I can find at my local co-op. What they got are mostly donated parts and frames that are 5,10,15 years old, nothing state of the art or the latest craze.

What do y'all suggest in terms of frames and parts that would qualify as a budget, reliable, entry-level full suspension mountain bike?

What I would do is take your suggestions and while I am at the co-op hunting down parts, I will either look out for them or find something equivalent or similar.

Thanks again pals!

JAGI410
01-04-2017, 09:09 AM
While I can appreciate a good challenge, this isn't one I'd want for myself!

Find a frame with disc brake mounts and a name brand rear shock, then go from there. Tapered (or 44mm) head tube would be a bonus.

Pegoready
01-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Oof... MTB technology and geometry has changed so much that I wouldn't want to mess around with anything that old.

BUT... the big upside is so many mountain bikers perceive various decent standards as obsolete that you can maybe find a good 26" wheeled, 1 1/8" MTB with a steep head tube angle for dirt cheap.

I'd look for something with disc mounts and a simple single-pivot design like the Santa Cruz Heckler or Cannondale Rush.

I'd do a 1x drivetrain with a SRAM Type 2 or Shimano "Plus" style derailleur. It will keep the drivetrain simple and cheap. Use any crummy crank with a 104 BCD and Wolf Tooth or Race Face narrow wide chainring.

stien
01-04-2017, 09:20 AM
+1, old donated suspension components will require a rebuild. Not fun and definitely not cheap. If this were my project, I'd go with a rigid build and the biggest tires it could fit.

Dave B
01-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Ok you did me a solid by sending me a stem for free, so let me return the favor. If by chance you get a 29er frame, I have a manitou 29er fork that is unused, brand spanking new. it is 100mm of travel and has a tapered steerer. If you find a bike that can work with that I will send it to you for free.

So if that can help guide you towards something then great. if you cannot use it then no worries.

A hardtail will be a "safe" bet not having to worry about suspension, but it might not necessarily be the most comfy. I agree on big tires, but your frame will limit that. So many variables.

What size bike do you ride?

Hilltopperny
01-04-2017, 09:51 AM
I have an old gt rts full suspension frame and fork that is yours for the cost of shipping to get you started if you'd like:beer:

sandyrs
01-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Oof... MTB technology and geometry has changed so much that I wouldn't want to mess around with anything that old.

BUT... the big upside is so many mountain bikers perceive various decent standards as obsolete that you can maybe find a good 26" wheeled, 1 1/8" MTB with a steep head tube angle for dirt cheap.

I'd look for something with disc mounts and a simple single-pivot design like the Santa Cruz Heckler or Cannondale Rush.

I'd do a 1x drivetrain with a SRAM Type 2 or Shimano "Plus" style derailleur. It will keep the drivetrain simple and cheap. Use any crummy crank with a 104 BCD and Wolf Tooth or Race Face narrow wide chainring.

+1 on this. FS MTB is the last place I would try to go for a "budget" build, because a poorly set up shock can have an extraordinarily detrimental effect on the ride. My understanding is that Austin has some pretty rocky trails close to the city; a good FS XC bike will eat that up, but a bad one will be really unpleasant.

I know this is probably not the advice you're looking for and I totally understand disregarding it :), but if you're really itching to go full suspension, I'd sell a couple bikes and buy something brand new from a shop with good mechanics. FS MTB's are probably the bikes most worth going to a shop for, for the sake of service on the suspension.

Barring that, I'd look for a complete bike on Craigslist, eBay or similar, and use the saved funds for a full rebuild of the suspension.

merlinmurph
01-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Do you need FS?
What are the trails like in your area?
If FS, what kind of FS? How much travel? There are about as many different types of mt bikes as there are genres of music.

Again, do you need FS? I ask that because of what I've seen here in Savannah while visiting. I've been riding the local trails on my mixed terrain bike, a Seven Evergreen, with 40mm tires. The trails are totally flat, and almost perfectly smooth, except for an occasional root. Perfect for my bike. There are riders in there with pretty burly rides, while I'm having a blast on a road bike. Yes, I'm sure they ride elsewhere. My point is that people tend to over-buy mt bikes, getting a much burlier bike than they need. But hey, if they love the bike, that's great.

Have a blast,
Murph

bobswire
01-04-2017, 10:18 AM
I have an old gt rts full suspension frame and fork that is yours for the cost of shipping to get you started if you'd like:beer:

This! Get this then hit some local trails and you're bound to meet new friends who ride mtbs, that'll give you a chance to learn,ride and experience other mtbs to see if it is for you. BTW I had a GT Rts years ago when I lived close to GGPark and had a blast, gave it to my son after I moved and I think he still rides it.

bmeryman
01-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Not sure what size you are, but I've got a Large first gen Santa Cruz Blur with a bunch of 9spd XT/XTR Shimano bits on it.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it for about $350 (plus shipping) complete. It's totally usable, but I'd keep in mind what other folks here are saying; sometimes an inexpensive build with good suspension is the right way to get into it. Mountain bike geometry and technology has come pretty far, even since 2005.

Let me know what you think! I'd be happy to shoot you some pictures if you'd like.

Also, see if a buddy will let you hop on their bike for a ride and attend demo events. Find out what style you prefer.

Brendan

merlinmurph
01-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Man, forget what I said above. You have some nice offers for FS bikes from generous people. Pick one and let us know how it turns out.

dustyrider
01-04-2017, 05:58 PM
You got a little work to do first. What kind of riding you see yourself doing is important and then you have to see about ride comfort/fit on a couple of types of bikes on those trails. Working on suspension components may not be in your wheelhouse so you may want to develop a relationship with a shop. Maybe the co-op is a good?

Once I knew what I was looking for, I'd go WTB ad here or pinkbike classifieds. Set your price, location, etc. and you're off.

I'm all about the hunt, but with a full suspension mtb. I'd start with a frame and functioning shock and then go from there. Make sure you got all the standards figured out before you start grabbing parts. Depending on the era sram or shimano and your preferred wheelset/tires and you're off.

Maybe do a LBS crawl and check out last years demos. I've scored quite a few awesome deals in the past. You're always going to come a little ahead with a complete bike price wise. Plus you get to check out what bikes are out there and what they cost.

In the end, it comes as no surprise that the paceline is going to line you up with a nice bike, pal!

weisan
01-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Sorry for the late response, I was out the whole day.

Wow!

Thank you....THANK YOU!!!

I appreciate the kind offers -- Mr. President and Hill pals --- what can I say, y'all simply the best!

Let me think this over.

Exactly what I need. A reality check.