PDA

View Full Version : How to survive an all inclusive without gaining 10 pounds???

floxy1
01-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Heading to Dominican for 5 days in a couple weeks. Never been to an all inclusive. Have a race a few weeks after...I know not ideal timing. Fitness should be okay, weight...maybe not.

bpm
01-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Will power. Other than that, I got nuthin.

brockd15
01-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Enjoy it in moderation and you'll be just fine. It should be easy to drop a couple pounds when you're back anyway.

ahumblecycler
01-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Eat local food and drink local water ;)

Seriously, it is not hard unless you struggle with weight in the US at which point it is always hard. Enjoy the fresh foods especially the fruits and drink lots of water. I have been to three all inclusive locations for a duration from 4 days to 10 days and never gain weight.

Matthew
01-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Do what was mentioned above! The local water will take care of it for you. I know. I went there years ago. Got there Sunday, had the runs by Wednesday. And for 11 days AFTER I got home. Not fun. Worst 4 1/2 hour flight home of my life. Enjoy your trip!!! No, seriously, just be careful what you ingest. I suggest bottled water for everything including brushing your teeth, etc.

Black Dog
01-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Eat in moderation and try and walk, swim, run, or whatever to burn some calories. Lying around on your arse all day and eating/drinking non stop is a bad combo. Get away from the mindset that you are not getting value for your money unless you eat until you are dizzy and pass out, don't think of it like an all you can eat buffet.

wc1934
01-03-2017, 07:03 PM
My experience: went to the DR - stayed at the Dreams, an all inclusive.
First few days I wanted to try everything (and did). The quantity of dishes/food available was unbelievable. After a few days I settled into my regular eating routine despite the enormous amount of food available. For dinners we went to specific speciality restaurants (required reservations) as opposed to the buffets.
I also went to the gym/workout facility each afternoon.
I gained maybe a few pounds, but if you eat/drink moderately and have a bit of willpower you will be fine.

floxy1
01-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Thanks. This is promising. I'm a B student in willpower. Maybe A prior to alchohol entering the mix. I also plan to workout most days to just keep the legs moving.

Chris
01-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Just have fun. Enjoy the food and your time with the family. Be a cyclist when you get back.

vqdriver
01-03-2017, 07:28 PM
did the cruise thing this past summer and i kinda ran into the same thing. i think you'll find a couple truths in all inclusives

- you'll want to try everything at first
- you'll get sick of everything by the last day

i think if you eat anything you want, but just eating half of it, you'll come out better than most.

Dead Man
01-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Thanks. This is promising. I'm a B student in willpower. Maybe A prior to alchohol entering the mix. I also plan to workout most days to just keep the legs moving.

Just make sure you earn every calorie. You can eat and drink yourself stupid, if you're putting 2-3 legit hours on the stationary every morning

daker13
01-03-2017, 07:55 PM
I don't know why, I go on vacation, feel like I'm eating like an animal, go home and expect to gain 10 pounds, then step on the scale and find I've LOST weight... I think our bodies burn more calories in new places, but I know this doesn't happen to everyone.

thegunner
01-03-2017, 08:19 PM
honestly, you could gorge yourself and not gain 10 legitimate pounds.

10 pounds = 35000 calories over maintenance.

to put that in perspective, if you're normally at 2200 calories per day, you'd have to eat close to 46000 calories over 5 days to gain 10 pounds.

i don't think i could even stomach 9000 calories that many days in a row.

you'll gain superficial weight for sure, but most of it's just water bloat.

don't even think about it, eat and drink yourself silly, and go back to your normal routine when you get back.

JAllen
01-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Tapeworms.

ultraman6970
01-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Do as much as excersize as possible, sure they have a gym. All inclusive are the bomb!... if you are single well... just go out with the locals, sure you will lose a few pounds :P

estilley
01-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Get the flu.

I did that on a cruise over Christmas and snuck under 130lbs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis
01-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Heading to Dominican for 5 days in a couple weeks. Never been to an all inclusive. Have a race a few weeks after...I know not ideal timing. Fitness should be okay, weight...maybe not.

This is the other side of the island - a few rides a week like this and you'll be in awesome shape:

AngryScientist
01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
without knowing what your position in life is, i would say just screw it and have a good time. likely no one is paying you to win races and presumably you love your family and whoever is going on vacation with you more than you love cycling, so live in the moment, forget about cycling for a week and have fun with the people you care about.

JAllen
01-03-2017, 10:02 PM
without knowing what your position in life is, i would say just screw it and have a good time. likely no one is paying you to win races and presumably you love your family and whoever is going on vacation with you more than you love cycling, so live in the moment, forget about cycling for a week and have fun with the people you care about.

Just have fun. Enjoy the food and your time with the family. Be a cyclist when you get back.

Amen.

floxy1
01-04-2017, 04:32 AM
Amen.

For sure to both of these. Fun with the Mrs and friends is prioirity. Mainly wanting to hear experiences from others.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2017, 05:04 AM

don't eat, just drink..:D

gomango
01-04-2017, 05:58 AM
For sure to both of these. Fun with the Mrs and friends is prioirity. Mainly wanting to hear experiences from others.

We just returned from eight days in Punta Cana.

No all inclusive for us, we rented a vrbo at Costa Hermosa.

It was simply outstanding. The townhome was top notch, quite near to the ocean/Playa Bavarro, great restaurants and fun excursions for the family. Nothing was super expensive, yet the overall "fun quotient" was right on.

FWIW I took an 11 weight fly rod along and had a blast catching Horse-eye jack, reds and a 17 pound tarpon fishing from a rented sea kayak. A local guide said they hadn't seen that many tarpon lately, so I was pretty thrilled.

Oh yeah, drink bottled water. Don't ask how I know.

SlowPokePete
01-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Gain 11 lbs. or more.

SPP

GregL
01-04-2017, 08:36 AM
I spent a week at the Iberostar Punta Cana (http://www.iberostar.com/en/hotels/punta-cana/iberostar-punta-cana?cp=BINGUS&utm_source=BINGUS&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IBUS+EN+HOTEL+%2B+DOMINICAN+REPUBLIC+ EX&utm_term=iberostar+punta+cana&gclid=CMH_xq7aqNECFQWuNwodvVED4g&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CIjmza7aqNECFSa1swodq9IDEA)a few years back. Had a very enjoyable, restful time, including the all-inclusive food and drink. The resort had a nice workout facility which I took advantage of for an hour each day. Between that and swimming/snorkeling everyday with my family, I don't think I gained any weight. Enjoy!!

Greg

merlinmurph
01-04-2017, 08:57 AM
5 days? Enjoy the short break! You'll be amazed how good you'll feel when you get back all rested, mentally and physically.

Have a great trip.

shovelhd
01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Five days? If you think you're going to gain ten pounds in five days, even five pounds in five days, then your current base weight is a pipe dream.

Never been to the DR but I have been to an all inclusive for five days in Bermuda. I lost a little fitness and gained a pound. That's noise. If you are concerned then just be smart about it. There should be three full meals per day plus lots of snack time. Go easy on the snacks. Have one or two full breakfasts and just have fruit and yogurt for the others. A big lunch here and there and a snack on the other days. Make dinner your big meal. Unless you're a sloth you'll have plenty of opportunities to burn calories just having fun. Another thing, if you like to explore, you won't be able to eat every meal at the resort. Don't let obsessive planning ruin your vacation.

Finally, early season racing really means nothing in the course of a long season. Don't take it too seriously.

Have fun.

ergott
01-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Don't eat. Just drink lots of mamajuana in the DR. Worked for me. All day buzz and I ate the freshly grilled fish by the pool.