PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Team Seven Eleven Murray Serotta

TimW
01-03-2017, 04:55 PM
I was recently given a really cool bike. It is supposedly a Team Seven Eleven issued Murray Serotta that was used in the 1984 or 85 Coors Classic (see attached pics). The previous owner told me that the frame was repainted once, the fork was replaced, and the components are not original, but are a period correct 7 speed DuraAce/600 group. Does anyone know where I may find some more information on this frame? Also, my plan is to clean up the frame and remove as much rust as possible, but keep as much patina as possible. Once this is complete, does anyone have suggestions on something I can apply to the frame that will help inhibit future rust? I have heard that Gibbs lubricant spray is a good option. Thanks for the help!

19wisconsin64
01-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Couldn't see your photos, maybe try reposting them.

About 10 years ago I owned Bob Rolls' team issue bike. It was...heavy!! Dura Ace 7 speed groupset. Tubular tires. You could tell he put many thousands of miles on the frame. If the bike was repainted they may have painted over the place on the chain stays where they paint the rider's initials.

Feel free to send me a PM. I collect and ride 80's steel bikes...but I never rode that one as was too small for me. It's good to do a Google image search on the team bikes with the team members from back in the day.

TimW
01-03-2017, 05:13 PM
I just re-posted with pics

Llewellyn
01-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Wow, that's been in the wars :eek: Nice restoration project.

91Bear
01-03-2017, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't "preserve the patina" (a.k.a. "keep the rust") since it has already been repainted. I would have it repainted back to the original paint scheme. I think you would have better luck reselling it that way if you ever decide to.

parris
01-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Is the brake bridge pantographed? Also could you shoot a close up of the fork crown? Cool find.

dustyrider
01-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Is the brake bridge pantographed? Also could you shoot a close up of the fork crown? Cool find.

Looks like the brake bridge says serotta on it. But the rust could be playing tricks on me. Can you pull the post and BB and see what it looks like? Florida is no good on steel bikes me thinks...hope not. Pretty cool bike and paint.

ultraman6970
01-03-2017, 08:25 PM
This is what you do... sand blast the heck out of that, including the chroming and paint it again.

Ralph
01-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Somehow you need to kill the rust.....inside and out.

ultraman6970
01-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Big chance is that at the inside the tubes are ok. Easy to find out tho, look inside.

Theres a rust thing for bikes but always you can put oil inside the tubes that will stop the rust and will protect it just in case.

Old italian steel is really resilient.

m_sasso
01-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Here are some images of a Team Seven Eleven issued Murray Serotta. Can't see to much from the images you posted however from what I can see looks to be the same construction. https://www.flickr.com/photos/126586111@N02/sets/72157677959312056

TimW
01-04-2017, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! It appears that this frame is the real deal, It has the correct pantographed seat stays and brake bridge. It also has the correct Cinelli Bottom Bracket Shell. It also has a Columbus SLX decal on the bottom of the seat tube. I won't have time to pull the bottom bracket to check for rust until this weekend, but the seatpost came out with ease and from what I could see, there appears to be very little rust inside the frame. I still trying to decide is I want to try to clean up the existing finish, or to sandblast and repaint or powder coat. Thanks again for all the great information!

christian
01-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Rust in chrome is insidious. I am usually one for "it'll be fine" but in this case I really think you need to bead blast post haste.

chismog
01-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Probably legit. Let's put it this way- just like Huffy, Murray wasn't making lugged bikes that nice (with number hangers)..... ever. So whatever you have, it wasn't made by Murray.

dustyrider
01-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Cool. Looks like you got a neat find on your hands.
Pull the BB before you think anymore about it!