PDA

View Full Version : OT: Truck Rental to tow Airstream FL>CO

adamhell
01-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Hi,

I am going to pick up an Airstream my dad is buying in Jacksonville, FL, and help him drive it back to his home in Fort Collins, CO.

He has given me the task of finding a truck rental. What we'll need is a 3500lb towing capacity and the ability to pick up in FL and drop off in CO (a local/small company won't work).

Can anybody recommend a truck service that would be appropriate for this? I already looked at uhaul, enterprise, and penske...

Thank you!

Adam

AngryScientist
01-03-2017, 04:40 PM
What is your dad planning on towing it with, and why can't you use that??

gasman
01-03-2017, 04:42 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the trailer needs renovation and so he hasn't bought a tow vehicle ?

adamhell
01-03-2017, 04:44 PM

good question. i guess with his wife's lexus GX470 or his brand new Subaru Outback, provided it has the towing capacity.

the reason why we won't use one of those is that it will double our time driving, because he/we would have to drive that car to Jacksonville and then back to FoCo.

bobdenver1961
01-03-2017, 04:50 PM
How about an auto transport company. There are hundreds of them on the internet. I had a car transported to Colorado that didn't even run. They just winched it up on the carrier. Maybe they transport trailers also?

merlinmurph
01-03-2017, 06:21 PM
I rented an F-250 from Enterprise to tow our 8500 lb trailer one weekend, but that was local.

I like bobdenver1961's idea. This sounds like a small trailer @ 3500 lbs and should fit on a transport trailer used to tow cars. The trick would be securing it correctly

gregblow
01-03-2017, 06:25 PM
all the major rental companies will not rent you a truck if you plan on towing with it. National, Hertz, budget, etc. Thats what they told me when i was pulling a boat to florida. I would check first.

paredown
01-03-2017, 07:06 PM
You can rent U-Hauls with towing capacity, either the vans or the box trucks.

They have the national reservations etc, but you will need to know the size of the trailer/tongue weight to confirm the capacity.

One way rental--but it won't be cheap... Getting someone to haul it for you may be the cheaper alternative--we've done coast to coast with two cars delivered, and it was cheaper than buying gas to drive them.

adamhell
01-03-2017, 07:12 PM
thanks for the replies so far. i am hoping having a company do it will be cheaper (though that doesn't really make sense to me). i will look into that option as i don't really feel like driving for three days straight.

p nut
01-03-2017, 07:31 PM
all the major rental companies will not rent you a truck if you plan on towing with it. National, Hertz, budget, etc. Thats what they told me when i was pulling a boat to florida. I would check first.

It seems at least Enterprise allows towing:

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/content/truckrental_base/en_US/promotions/promo_towing.html?icid=USTrucks-_-Personal.Content-_-2towing

I'm not sure what else to suggest other than national car rental companies, as you'll be going one way.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd not tow with the Outback. Even with the 3.6L, he'll be at or over max towing capacity and also probably over payload as well. If he insists, at least get trailer brakes.

Regarding shipping companies: good luck with that. It was a nightmare trying to line something up when I was looking to transport my father's car from one coast to the other. Months of promises from various shippers, and no follow through.

bking
01-03-2017, 07:47 PM
I've shipped high end cars in covered transport across the country, it's cheaper than you might think if you can work with their schedule.

pbarry
01-03-2017, 07:56 PM
I've shipped high end cars in covered transport across the country, it's cheaper than you might think if you can work with their schedule.

^^ This. Someone will deliver the Airstream for $800-1200.

dustyrider
01-03-2017, 07:57 PM
No specifics, but it has to be cheaper to send it. You might get lucky and find someone in Colorado that could make it worth it. Plenty of snow birds will be returning in a few months, most I know go to AZ, and there are a lot of folks with the ability to tow long distance out of work. Or at least there are here on the western side...what about a local RV sales place they'd know how to get the airstream?

Ralph
01-03-2017, 08:33 PM
I would figure out a way to ship it. How do you even know its towable? Tires. Brakes, suspension parts, etc. What kind of brakes does it have? Surge on some old ones, electric? Can you connect to its brakes?

Fatty
01-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Look in Jacksonville for a company that move boats around. Plenty of those in the phone book.

yngpunk
01-04-2017, 08:28 AM
It seems at least Enterprise allows towing:

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/content/truckrental_base/en_US/promotions/promo_towing.html?icid=USTrucks-_-Personal.Content-_-2towing

I'm not sure what else to suggest other than national car rental companies, as you'll be going one way.

Note that Enterprise Truck Rental is different from Enterprise Car Rental.

yngpunk
01-04-2017, 08:31 AM
thanks for the replies so far. i am hoping having a company do it will be cheaper (though that doesn't really make sense to me). i will look into that option as i don't really feel like driving for three days straight.

Haven't used this before, but you might want to check out:

https://www.uship.com/

Service that matches carriers with shippers.

adamhell
01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
thanks all for the helpful replies. i will continue to look into everything. i'm thinking there is enough information here to hopefully prevent us having to drive it ourselves.