PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping 2017 Classics Season

MattTuck
01-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Well, we're in 2017 now. Let the prognosticating begin.

Cannondale - Drapac has brought Phinney and Vanmarcke home, with Dylan Van Baarle having some a good race or two last year, I think this team has done the most to improve their chances. Meanwhile, Trek Segafredo is lurking with John Degenkolb returning to health, Jasper Stuyven and Edward Theuns on the road to recovery. Of course they've lost Cancellara.

Quickstep is looking extremely fierce, especially for the Ardennes with Alaphilippe, Dan Martin and Gilbert. I hope they botch the cobbled races like they did last year.

Of course, it seems that the one man to beat will continue to be Peter Sagan and his new team, the faucet squad.

Elefantino
01-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Alaphilippe makes another big leap forward this year.

Sagan wins another monument.

I would really like to see Degenkolb do well, too. Nice guy. Terrific talent.

45K10
01-03-2017, 12:41 PM
IMO the man to beat is still Sagan followed by GVA who knows after that maybe Stybar. I would love to see Phinney win something but I think that is still a long shot

For the Ardennes I agree with Elefantino I think this maybe Alaphilippe's year but we'll see how the political game plays out for Quickstep.

livingminimal
01-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Will be interested to see how Patrick handles Gilbert/Boonen and if they have better luck than BMC did with the Gilbert/GVA relationship.

KJMUNC
01-03-2017, 02:18 PM
I'd love to see Boonen go out with one last decent Spring campaign. He's looking awfully fit and his Worlds results shows he's still dangerous when he focuses on a one day race. Unfortunately as he well knows the course and circumstances makes as many selections as the riders so it may not be up to him.....but man it would be a heck of a way to end his career.

earlfoss
01-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Degenkolb is good, but in a monument, he will have to be on amazing form to pull off a win. He's got a great sprint, but has to depend a lot more than, say Sagan, on his race smarts and energy conservation in order to be there in the end.

From many of the races I see, his MO is to cajole others to chase down threatening moves, skip pulls, and then cheap shot for the win. Granted, it works really well for him, but in a monument he will be marked heavily and may not be able to get away with the same games he has in the past.

His PR win was really great. I think for him to win a race of that stature, he is going to have to be on that kind of form again to stand a chance. I think he may have a pretty okay classics season this year, and in 2018 be back to the level where he can make moves, make mistakes, take pulls, and have the depth to correct himself, and still pull off a win.

He has some really great teammates on his side, so I bet a minor classic, or MSR win is more in line with reality.

I'll take Boonen for Roubiax this year for sure. I think he's going to be very hungry for the win.

tiretrax
01-03-2017, 03:55 PM
I was wondering when people would start talking about the classics. Paris-Roubaix is <100 days away!!!

FlashUNC
01-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Quickstep better figure out what the hell to do with their seeming army of Ronde and Roubaix riders. Cuz last year was a hot mess. Dan Martin will hopefully eat some souls in LBL and the Ardennes.

Vanmarcke is a dark horse, I think. Nearly cracked through in Roubaix and Flanders, I wouldn't be shocked if he wins one.

Degenkolb for MSR, just so he can show off that finger he nearly lost.

efaust_o
01-05-2017, 06:31 AM
lips loudly....I CAN'T WAIT...:hello:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/greg-van-avermaet-clicked-beat-sagan-2015-305556