PDA

View Full Version : All purpose prescription glasses possible

dekindy
01-03-2017, 10:17 AM
My prescription
+1.00 -3.00 180 +2.25
+.075 -2.50 165 +2.25

Historically I am well aware that a prescription to correct astigmatism beyond 2.0 greatly limited my options. However it appears that many providers have developed the technology to satisfy these requirements or at least claim to without distortion.

I am wondering if there is a provider that could give me a frame that I could wear all the time including, reading, sports, and adjust to sunlight????

Historically I have been unable to find a sporting frame that was adequate for everyday reading of books, computer screens etc., really only practical for reading restaurant menus while taking a break during a ride.

Also need to be able to read my smartphone while driving and cycling computer so does that rule out the sunlight sensitive option??????

JAllen
01-03-2017, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure you'll be able to find something that will satisfy all of those needs, but I think you could find something to satisfy most of them. It sounds like you'll need transition lenses, bifocals ( they can be made now without the lines), and a sturdy frame. Sturdy frames can be had if you don't mind more of the sporty sunglasses look. Also, you can pick up those frame saver things that attach to both ends of the glasses and go around the back of your neck.

Have you spoken to your optometrist about this?

Also, hopefully you're not on your smart phone while driving too much. ;)

shovelhd
01-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Rudy Project Stratofly, similar prescription, polarized, transition, progressive, Crizal, $600 through my local optometrist. I wasn't going to try SportRX for something like this. Insurance paid for the frame.

djg21
01-03-2017, 10:35 AM
My prescription
+1.00 -3.00 180 +2.25
+.075 -2.50 165 +2.25

Historically I am well aware that a prescription to correct astigmatism beyond 2.0 greatly limited my options. However it appears that many providers have developed the technology to satisfy these requirements or at least claim to without distortion.

I am wondering if there is a provider that could give me a frame that I could wear all the time including, reading, sports, and adjust to sunlight????

Historically I have been unable to find a sporting frame that was adequate for everyday reading of books, computer screens etc., really only practical for reading restaurant menus while taking a break during a ride.

Also need to be able to read my smartphone while driving and cycling computer so does that rule out the sunlight sensitive option??????

I have a similar RX. I use progressive lenses for my non-cycling, daily wear glasses so I can read with them, see the speedometer when I drive, etc.

I use Rudy Ketyum RX glasses when I ride, with non-progressive photochromatic (clear to dark) RX lenses. I don't need progressive lenses while riding because I can look under my frame to read my Garmin. The clear photochromatic lenses work nicely in the afternoon and dusk when I typically ride, and I can use them at night. They also afford good UV protection and work well in bright sunlight.

I don't use photochromatic lenses in my regular glasses because they are slightly darker, and I like the clarity when using a PC and while working indoors.

Bob Ross
01-03-2017, 12:49 PM
I wasn't going to try SportRX for something like this.

Because of the requirement that they take your health insurance, or because you don't trust SportRx with something that critical [sic]?

Veloo
01-03-2017, 04:10 PM
I was looking into this last fall.
My cyl is -2.5 and -3.5
Rudy Project wouldn't touch me cuz their max is +-2.0 for the cyl.

I looked into the Oakley Crosslink and Mainlink but they were too flat and they didn't provide much surface area. I saw no point in getting those vs my regular glasses.

I wanted wind protection - ie more of a wrap around.

I went to BrianCdn's referral who got me the Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro. It has Zeiss lenses which are photochromic.
I think he did say they can do bifocal style lens too.

These would not be an every day set of glasses however. They are sport glasses.

Mark McM
01-03-2017, 05:01 PM
I wanted wind protection - ie more of a wrap around.

I went to BrianCdn's referral who got me the Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro. It has Zeiss lenses which are photochromic.

Can you point me to BrianCdn's referral? I'm also looking for a set a sports glasses with enough wrap around for good wind protection, but I'm finding many providers have trouble with my prescription. (My prescription isn't too radical, but most opticians have no idea how to do the compensation for wrap and vertex angles introduced by sports glasses.)

ultraman6970
01-03-2017, 09:15 PM
OP, you have to ask, is the only way to know if they actually can make the lenses curved enough for the frames you like, IMO probably they could because your prescription is not as bad as mine but you have to call the guys and ask them.

THe guys from rxsports will tell you right away. If they can't I doubt anybody else will be able to, those to me are like the experts in curved stuff for sports.

U have to call and ask.

Hmm... rudy prokect rx? interesting, need new shades and did not know those guys actually had rx, will check those out.

Jaybee
01-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Digital lens surfacing can make higher power prescriptions possible in a wrap lens shape while minimizing distortion on the edges.
Oakley has a specific list of frames with a base curve 6 lens that can take higher power prescriptions, though that section of their website is under maintenance as I type. WileyX does the same, and I use a couple pair (one tinted, one not) of those with a much stronger prescription than you have for driving, work that requires ANSI-rated eye protection, and riding (road and mtb). This technology has been around for a couple years now, I'm sure others are onboard.

As for your do it all query, ive never found a photochromic lens that adjusted fast enough for spirited trail riding, and I wouldn't want a wrap-sport style frame for daily use.

shovelhd
01-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Because of the requirement that they take your health insurance, or because you don't trust SportRx with something that critical [sic]?

Both, plus I want to support a local business that offers outstanding service.