PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have that "bad luck" thing with a bike??

steveoz
01-02-2017, 09:54 PM
I know it's just superstition but I have the worst luck with blue colored bikes....had a Specialized Roubaix that would get flats every other dam ride ..and yes I changed tires, tubes - even the wheelset! Also had a beautiful blue Colnago....and managed to ride it within 100 feet of an active police shootout.. :eek: the only fall (that really hurt) I had was on a blue Salsa ..anybody else have that "bad luck " thing about a bike?

weisan
01-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Steve pal, there's only one way to break the curse...

http://ofc24.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/bonfire.jpg

Er... actually, there's an alternative way, you know,...send all your accursed bikes to me... Please check your PM for delivery address.

eddief
01-02-2017, 10:15 PM
is going to be a wild year. I can tell already.

steveoz
01-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Steve pal, there's only one way to break the curse...

http://ofc24.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/bonfire.jpg

Er... actually, there's an alternative way, you know,...send all your accursed bikes to me... Please check your PM for delivery address.

ha! they all wound up on the 'bay.... funny thing is I really regret selling them - the Colnago was beautiful....and the Specialized...well..it was a bike that I rode through some tough times..

steveoz
01-02-2017, 10:26 PM
oh and I forgot the blue fade Indy Fab -which I actually picked up of the forum- wound up being a bit to large so off it went - and Fedex crushed it...

sw3759
01-02-2017, 10:48 PM
I broke 2 clavicle's and 6 ribs on the same bike in the span of 13 months between 11/13 and 12/14.funny the frame and fork never got as much a smudge,it was on top of me of course.also the only bike I ever owned that was used by a euro pro.been hanging up since summer of 2015

ultraman6970
01-02-2017, 11:03 PM
To me, always found that bikes that were or white or green always rode better than the other colors eventhoutght was the same size of frame. The bad thing is that I miss one my green track bike big time :/

When I got my 1st carbon bike (the only bike I bought complete) I sold all the shimano stuff but the wheels, velomax or something cant remember, not bad wheels anyways, punctures as this dude, twice a week, swapped everything and even bought a tape too and got punctures in the sides... bought a set of campy vento wheels and sold those shimano ones, The dude that got them used them like 6 months and the rear hub for some weird reason cracked big time, like 4 spokes took a chunch of the rear hub while he was in a race.

In general I can say i have luck with parts (knock on wood), even with super used stuff i never have mayor problems. Lucky as hell with tubulars aswell, I retire them because are old, not because i puncture them.

uber
01-03-2017, 02:19 AM
I had a beautiful SV a few years back that was bad luck. I had a crash at speed which was pretty bad, and then a number of flats at bad times which were dangerous as well. Never a scratch on the bike. I sold it. The buyer had something fall on the bike, damaging the TT. It went back to Vanilla. The frame was repaired, repainted and sold by that owner. I was half expecting to see it over the weekend as I was watching the Twighlight Zone Marathon. U

chiasticon
01-03-2017, 01:50 PM
not a bike, but for a while I swore than any time I wore this one red jersey, something bad would happen on the ride. could be anything: really close run in with a car, multiple flats, broken something or other I couldn't fix, or just a straight up crash. I eventually sold it because I couldn't stand to wear the thing any longer. hopefully the next owner had better luck. had another jersey that I didn't recall ever having bad luck in, wore it for a few years in fact. then last summer, I crashed MTBing and broke my hand, putting me off the bike for six weeks. haven't worn it since.

and now come to think of it, I'm just now remembering that I did in fact crash in that jersey right after I got it...

anyone want a size small rapha super lightweight jersey? :p

Matthew
01-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Only bad luck was my own doing. Sold a pristine Serotta Atlanta for dirt cheap years ago. Wish I had kept it. Classic red/yellow fade. I guess not bad luck, just a dumb decision on my part!

Dave B
01-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Specialized mountain bikes...I crash more on those than anything else...ever.

But I still love them and would buy one if I could afford their moronic prices. If I could only find a large 2004 s-works enduro with the brain. That would be perfect!

makoti
01-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Not a bike either, but a type of jersey.
I rode Ride The Rockies three times, got 3 jerseys.
First time I got hit by a car & ended up in the hospital, I was wearing a RTR jersey.
Second time I got hit by a car & ended up in the hospital, I was wearing a RTR jersey.
That last jersey is on the shelf, where it is staying.

steveoz
01-04-2017, 09:04 PM
I broke 2 clavicle's and 6 ribs on the same bike in the span of 13 months between 11/13 and 12/14.funny the frame and fork never got as much a smudge,it was on top of me of course.also the only bike I ever owned that was used by a euro pro.been hanging up since summer of 2015

ooouuch think I got off lightly!

steveoz
01-04-2017, 09:04 PM
First time I got hit by a car & ended up in the hospital, I was wearing a RTR jersey.
Second time I got hit by a car & ended up in the hospital, I was wearing a RTR jersey.

I suggest fire..

steveoz
01-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Only bad luck was my own doing. Sold a pristine Serotta Atlanta for dirt cheap years ago. Wish I had kept it. Classic red/yellow fade. I guess not bad luck, just a dumb decision on my part!

Daang - think that'll be my next post topic - The One That Got Away...

steveoz
01-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Funny I'm looking at the rack at another blue debacle - it's a Lemond Zurich - the 853 that is half blue/half yellow - got it from the 'bay last year - seller said "good condition few nicks and scrapes" to be expected from a model year 2000 bike...buuut when I eventually got around to putting it up on my stand I noticed just a teeny bit of bubbling in the blue paint on the top tube...and of course I pick at it with an exatco knife...and half the dam paint literally flaked off in one big sheet revealing a fine layer of surface rust on the entire top tube :mad: of course it was too late to take any recourse against the seller and honestly couldn't blame him for not noticing it...

steveoz
01-06-2017, 11:38 PM

ok - Ride the Rockies jersey - scratched off my Christmas list -thank you!

Elefantino
01-07-2017, 01:08 AM
I know it's just superstition but I have the worst luck with blue colored bikes....had a Specialized Roubaix that would get flats every other dam ride ..and yes I changed tires, tubes - even the wheelset! Also had a beautiful blue Colnago....and managed to ride it within 100 feet of an active police shootout.. :eek: the only fall (that really hurt) I had was on a blue Salsa ..anybody else have that "bad luck " thing about a bike?
I had a Roubaix that I rode through the back window of a parked Passat. The bike survived, as did my head.

Needless to say, I don't have that bike anymore.