PDA

View Full Version : RIP my Father in Law

d_douglas
01-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Well, what a start to the New Year. My Father in Law died in hospice at 1130am after a pretty short battle with cancer and a long period of time dealing with the effects of a stroke he suffered at 53. He is a special person to me. I am posting here because we often talk about our respect for disciplined, dignified human beings and to me, Lorne was just such a guy.

Some of you have heard me ramble about him - aside from being a great Dad, husband, grandfather, artist and friend, he was a gold medalist for Canada in 1956 in Melbourne. He is a unique guy who inspired a lot of people.

He is second from the right in the photo of the medal ceremony, second from left in the boat, and in his second home in front of an easel just a few years ago.

I spent New Year's Eve alone with him, curled up on the couch in his hospice room. It was pretty special. He wasn't awake and his breathing was poor, but he was stable. I chatted with him a bit, read my book out loud and fell asleep by 10pm.

This morning, the nurse told me she felt like it could be another day or two. I went home to trade places with my wife so that she could come up to spend time before all of his buddies would come by to shoot the breeze and keep him company at his bedside. She sat down and within 30min, he took deep breathes and passed away with her holding his hand.

Pretty magical. It has been a long journey for him and a difficult past few months for his family and friends. He's at rest and we are as well.

RIP Lorne.

phoenix
01-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Sorry for you loss. Thank you for sharing that little window into you and your Father in Law’s life. May he rest well.

gasman
01-02-2017, 01:11 AM
Thanks for sharing his story. I bet he was a very interesting man. I'm sorry for your loss and the rest of his family.

douglas
01-02-2017, 07:10 AM
What a moving story--thank you for sharing. It sounds like he had quite a life. Sorry for your family's loss but it must have been wonderful sharing your lives together.

Cicli
01-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Thats a real bummer.
I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like every moment became a memory.

stephenmarklay
01-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Thanks for sharing. He sounds like a wonderful person.

bking
01-02-2017, 07:25 AM
you're obvious love for him is the kindest tribute you could offer. Sorry for loss

Tickdoc
01-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Never easy. Good on you for being there and he sounded like a really cool guy.

Sounds similar to my dads passing. Not an easy day but surrounded by love and family is a fitting end to a great life.

Condolences to you, your wife, and her family.

AngryScientist
01-02-2017, 08:59 AM
My condolences. It's never easy to lose someone you're close to; but maybe you can feel just a bit better knowing they had a life lived well.

A gold medal Olympian, wow - that's something special for sure. I hope you guys have his medal displayed somewhere that can give you a little smile when you walk past.

d_douglas
01-02-2017, 09:06 AM
My condolences. It's never easy to lose someone you're close to; but maybe you can feel just a bit better knowing they had a life lived well.

A gold medal Olympian, wow - that's something special for sure. I hope you guys have his medal displayed somewhere that can give you a little smile when you walk past.

Thanks all. We're not sure what the destiny of the medal is. He is part of the Can Sports Hall of Fame, and there was talk of donating it, but I think it'd be great to keep it. His winning oar (mounted on the wall in his apartment) is being donated.

Currently, it is stowed away in his underwear drawer :)!!

William
01-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Thank you very much for sharing. It is sad but it is also obvious that he will live on with a very special place in your heart.

William

texbike
01-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Sorry for your loss. Artist and Gold-medalist. It sounds like a life that was well-lived.

Texbike

AllanVarcoe
01-02-2017, 09:50 AM
What an accomplished life! Sorry to hear of this. Sounds like he touched a lot of lives.