PDA

View Full Version : LeMond urges Landis to tell the truth

Frank
07-30-2006, 12:07 AM
PARIS (AP) -- Three-time Tour de France champion Greg LeMond says the doping charges against fellow American Floyd Landis could be "what cycling has needed for many years" in order to discourage cheating.

"If he is confirmed positive, I hope he has the courage to tell the truth," LeMond said in an interview with French weekly Le Journal du Dimanche released on Saturday. "He alone can change the face of the sport today. His example could be a symbol of change."

In a veiled reference to seven-time winner Lance Armstrong, long dogged by doping allegations, LeMond added: "I hope that (Landis) won't do what another American did: Deny, deny, deny."

LeMond, who won cycling's premier event in 1986, '89 and '90, urged a mass crackdown on doping, involving all cycling regulatory bodies, governments and health ministries. He suggested an amnesty for riders who speak out about doping, and punishing entire teams if a single rider was found to have used banned substances.

"Testing, we will never do enough of it," he said, urging the International Cycling Union -- which he has criticized as corrupt -- to take a more aggressive stance on doping.

Landis' victory ride into Paris last Sunday after a stunning comeback renewed enthusiasm for the sport -- but just days later, his title was in doubt after a French lab reported a testosterone imbalance in one of his urine tests. Landis has said his body's natural metabolism was to blame and demanded backup tests.

The news rocked the cycling world, already under a cloud following a massive doping investigation in Spain which forced several of the world's leading cyclists off the Tour.

"I know Floyd, he's a good guy, he comes from a good family. If all this is proven, it will be a part of the tragedy that crosses this sport: Even good people are obliged to deceive," LeMond told Le Journal du Dimanche.

"It is cycling as a professional sport that represents the problem. It can transform someone into a liar."

inGobwetrust
07-30-2006, 12:15 AM
I've admired Greg for a long time but now I think he should just shut the Hell up. If he has proof of Floyd, Lance, or anyone else cheating he should come forward with it. I'm starting to see him as a has-been who'll jump at any opportunity to grab some attention. :rolleyes: His new bikes are ugly too! :)

Big Dan
07-30-2006, 12:17 AM
There is another American that denied, denied and denied everything......
We still looking for his twin...... :D

I read somewhere that Greg was going to be in Boston next week....

:p

m_moses
07-30-2006, 12:47 AM
. . . what is needed is truth . . . the pervasiveness of this problem is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room.

ada@prorider.or
07-30-2006, 06:18 AM
yep he is right

Fat Robert
07-30-2006, 06:32 AM
I've admired Greg for a long time but now I think he should just shut the Hell up. If he has proof of Floyd, Lance, or anyone else cheating he should come forward with it. I'm starting to see him as a has-been who'll jump at any opportunity to grab some attention. :rolleyes: His new bikes are ugly too! :)

he said *if*

and i think he knows the dealio

Larry
07-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Greg Who?
Is he the new ambassador for safe cycling?
Interesting......Indurain chooses to remain quiet.
Lance may just come back next year and kick ***.
The sport is rapidly losing its luster and glory.

I will stick with Floyd......and suspect other fowl play
that tainted the samples.

GoJavs
07-30-2006, 07:19 AM
It shocks me the amount of people that would rather believe in a conspiracy than believe in Greg LeMond. :crap:

I would have thought that the dozens of doping scandals in the last 8 years would have woken up people to the problem, yet I read a poll this morning that says that over 70% of Americans believe that allegations against LA are untrue! Jeez... :confused:

inGobwetrust
07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
It's not that I don't believe Greg. I just want him to stop being cute about it and just tell what he knows if he knows something, otherwise, shut up!

ada@prorider.or
07-30-2006, 11:36 AM
It's not that I don't believe Greg. I just want him to stop being cute about it and just tell what he knows if he knows something, otherwise, shut up!

do not agree !!!

its like i say to you shut up you also do not do that

Marcusaurelius
07-30-2006, 01:22 PM
PARIS (AP) -- Three-time Tour de France champion Greg LeMond says the doping charges against fellow American Floyd Landis could be "what cycling has needed for many years" in order to discourage cheating.

"If he is confirmed positive, I hope he has the courage to tell the truth," LeMond said in an interview with French weekly Le Journal du Dimanche released on Saturday. "He alone can change the face of the sport today. His example could be a symbol of change."

In a veiled reference to seven-time winner Lance Armstrong, long dogged by doping allegations, LeMond added: "I hope that (Landis) won't do what another American did: Deny, deny, deny."

LeMond, who won cycling's premier event in 1986, '89 and '90, urged a mass crackdown on doping, involving all cycling regulatory bodies, governments and health ministries. He suggested an amnesty for riders who speak out about doping, and punishing entire teams if a single rider was found to have used banned substances.

"Testing, we will never do enough of it," he said, urging the International Cycling Union -- which he has criticized as corrupt -- to take a more aggressive stance on doping.

Landis' victory ride into Paris last Sunday after a stunning comeback renewed enthusiasm for the sport -- but just days later, his title was in doubt after a French lab reported a testosterone imbalance in one of his urine tests. Landis has said his body's natural metabolism was to blame and demanded backup tests.

The news rocked the cycling world, already under a cloud following a massive doping investigation in Spain which forced several of the world's leading cyclists off the Tour.

"I know Floyd, he's a good guy, he comes from a good family. If all this is proven, it will be a part of the tragedy that crosses this sport: Even good people are obliged to deceive," LeMond told Le Journal du Dimanche.

"It is cycling as a professional sport that represents the problem. It can transform someone into a liar."

Hmm, well despite the fact that this little tributes overlooks some of the very ugly little pearls of wisdom has dropped from his mouth recently I don't pay much attention to what he says anymore. Lemond likes the sound of his own voice too much for me and he always ready to accuse and pronounce someone quilty even though he doesn't know a damn thing. I believe in Floyd's innocence and will continue to believe it until proof can be offered to convince me otherwise.

Big Dan
07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Hmm, well despite the fact that this little tributes overlooks some of the very ugly little pearls of wisdom has dropped from his mouth recently I don't pay much attention to what he says anymore. Lemond likes the sound of his own voice too much for me and he always ready to accuse and pronounce someone quilty even though he doesn't know a damn thing. I believe in Floyd's innocence and will continue to believe it until proof can be offered to convince me otherwise.

Marcus, I'll start taking your opinion seriously right after you win your 3rd TDF.
Fair???

:D

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/10613.0.html

Tony Edwards
07-30-2006, 02:06 PM
I respect LeMond's accomplishments, but his ongoing feud with Lance Armstrong and recent comments regarding Landis strike me as sour grapes and a rather pathetic attempt to exploit accusations against current riders to get attention for himself. I think it's unseemly and that he's fundamentally jealous of Lance, and I wish he'd shut the hell up. I don't harbor any delusions about the real possibility that Lance and/or Floyd cheated, but I fail to see how Greg LeMond has any standing to constantly whine about it.

BarryG
07-30-2006, 02:57 PM
There's just TOO much evidence to think that doping isn't pervasive - Lemond is right.

Kevin
07-30-2006, 03:27 PM
I also believe that Lemond is right.

Kevin

Larry
07-30-2006, 05:10 PM
If I am not mistaken, I believe Lemond knew that there were dopers in the peleton when he was competing. Also, it seems like there were few rules on banned substances back in those days. So.....the guy has a beef to pick, even though he is way past his time, and seemingly has to make his presence known.

He can't handle Lance Armstrong, because Lance is mentally so tough, and for the month of July seven years running, he was physically unbeatable. Lance had a rare talent and work ethic that were difficult to match by any athlete. He did not need a performance enhancer. Lemond is secretly jealous of Lance's accomplishment, and he knows that he cannot break his will about anything. Really.......Armstrong has a will that noone was able to shatter,
not even his ex-wife. This bothers Lemond, and he probably wishes he could have raced against Lance. He would have lost!

Floyd is a different case......just the ordinary guy, that so happens to have an incredible work ethic like Lance, but has not received the glory yet.
Do you remember how he pulled for Lance on several TDF stages? I was amazed even then with his strength. So, you see, he was just as committed to winning as Lance. Now his time has come with Phonak. I find it remarkable that he told the other riders that he would attack on Stage 17,
and nooone had the brains to try to go with him. And....if he was doping that day, surely he would know that he would be tested after winning the stage. Where did he get the drug? Do his teammates and trainers and the authorities have blinders?

And......from what I have read, many doctors believe it to be an insullt or joke to think that testosterone enhancement of this kind would help a performance. There are different ideas perhaps.

I hope we are able to learn about what all of his test results were for the entire tour. That should give us some indicator of suspicious or unnatural
body chemistry. I also think that the entire testing process needs close
examination, and Lance agrees with this.

For now.......Floyd is the clean winner......until proven beyond question that he used a banned substance. Support him, until whatever facts or irregularities may appear. Tests from a three week tour should confirm
his personal statements. I have a problem with the notion of simply throwing him off the team, until the research is done.

Grant McLean
07-30-2006, 06:58 PM
If I am not mistaken, I believe Lemond knew that there were dopers in the peleton when he was competing. Also, it seems like there were few rules on banned substances back in those days. So.....the guy has a beef to pick, even though he is way past his time, and seemingly has to make his presence known.

He can't handle Lance Armstrong, because Lance is mentally so tough, and for the month of July seven years running, he was physically unbeatable. Lance had a rare talent and work ethic that were difficult to match by any athlete. He did not need a performance enhancer. Lemond is secretly jealous of Lance's accomplishment, and he knows that he cannot break his will about anything. Really.......Armstrong has a will that noone was able to shatter,
not even his ex-wife. This bothers Lemond, and he probably wishes he could have raced against Lance. He would have lost!

Floyd is a different case......just the ordinary guy, that so happens to have an incredible work ethic like Lance, but has not received the glory yet.
Do you remember how he pulled for Lance on several TDF stages? I was amazed even then with his strength. So, you see, he was just as committed to winning as Lance. Now his time has come with Phonak. I find it remarkable that he told the other riders that he would attack on Stage 17,
and nooone had the brains to try to go with him. And....if he was doping that day, surely he would know that he would be tested after winning the stage. Where did he get the drug? Do his teammates and trainers and the authorities have blinders?

And......from what I have read, many doctors believe it to be an insullt or joke to think that testosterone enhancement of this kind would help a performance. There are different ideas perhaps.

I hope we are able to learn about what all of his test results were for the entire tour. That should give us some indicator of suspicious or unnatural

For now.......Floyd is the clean winner......until proven beyond question that he used a banned substance. Support him, until whatever facts or irregularities may appear. Tests from a three week tour should confirm
his personal statements. I have a problem with the notion of simply throwing him off the team, until the research is done.

wow

Big Dan
07-30-2006, 07:04 PM
I think this guy really knows what's going on....Could it be Larry King???? :confused:

Jerry was a race car driver
22 years old
Had too many cold beers one night
And wrapped himself around a telephone pole

A little Primus yo!!!!!

ergott
07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
I think this guy really knows what's going on....Could it be Larry King???? :confused:

Jerry was a race car driver
22 years old
Had too many cold beers one night
And wrapped himself around a telephone pole

A little Primus yo!!!!!

If more people sailed the seas of cheese, life would be better and I'm not just saying that, yo.

stevep
07-30-2006, 07:48 PM
larry,
take a break on this thing.
read for awhile.
stand back and look at the picture.
it looks bad for floyd from here.
its time to step back from pro sports and go for a bike ride.

but remember the testing is a small part of this story and the testing has been circumvented by many, many cyclists and other pro athletes. they have the resources to play ahead of the testing curve...
especially if they have a lot of money and contacts and influence.

the risk is for guys like us who know nothing about it...draw lines in the sand... and proclaim innocence and/or guilt.

e-RICHIE
07-30-2006, 07:51 PM
the risk is for guys like us who know nothing about it...draw lines in the sand... and proclaim innocence and/or guilt.

pooch-issimo rules.

Grant McLean
07-30-2006, 07:54 PM
but remember the testing is a small part of this story and the testing has been circumvented by many, many cyclists and other pro athletes. they have the resources to play ahead of the testing curve...

don't tell d!ck pound, he's going to get them all.

g

Larry
07-30-2006, 08:07 PM
larry,
take a break on this thing.
read for awhile.
stand back and look at the picture.
it looks bad for floyd from here.
its time to step back from pro sports and go for a bike ride.

Steve,

Sorry about the lengthy comments. It's just that I got so sick of hearing it about Lance that I thought it would calm down. Then came Ullrich, Basso, and the others. Now Floyd. It's destroying the excitement and pure joy of great competition......the drug thing is in every sport it would seem. I hope Floyd's case does not destroy him as an athlete or individual. And yes.....if he is doping, admit it and move on.

stevep
07-30-2006, 08:20 PM
its a sad and ugly story, the whole thing.
in life its not that important to any of us... any more than what barry bonds does or how many home runs he hits. leave it to floyd to wake up at night and wonder what he has done... its his problem and his families.
i have my own story and it does not involve any dope ( except my brother in law, who is a dope ).
there is nothing like a nice ride on a beautiful day in a new or a familiar place. go take one. youll feel better.

Elefantino
07-30-2006, 08:23 PM
a) It's destroying the excitement and pure joy of great competition......the drug thing is in every sport it would seem. b) I hope Floyd's case does not destroy him as an athlete or individual. And yes.....if he is doping, admit it and move on.

a) I, and others (just look at our posts) on this board knew there was doping in pro sports and, specifically, that it was rampant in cycling. Yet we all went goo-goo over Stage 17, even though the doping specter may have tickled the back of our brains. So while it may destroy it in hindsight, I don't think it does at the moment. (And I've saved the whole stage on DVD, which I'll undoubtedly watch a lot this winter, when indoors.)

b) Me too. Tyler is an example. He has been Don Quixote, tilting at windmills, and he looks pathetic. His reputation is that of a cheat and a liar (along with, I'm afraid, the fair Haven My-Maiden-Name's-In-The-Book.) Look at how the public responded to Richard Virenque and David Millar. Admittedly, neither of them had a TdF win stripped from them, but then neither of them were dumb enough to dope before a crucial comeback stage, if that's what's happened. And both of them fessed.

Floyd could do so much more for this sport, as LeMond said, if he would admit, be stripped, and do a Canseco. Rip the curtain. My buddy Henderson, the sports writer, would write THAT book. Maybe a real man, who stood up and told the truth, could get the cycling gods to declare all-out war on doping. Zero tolerance. Bans for life for anyone caught.

End rant.

Endless Goods
07-30-2006, 10:39 PM
don't tell d!ck pound, he's going to get them all.

g

Hence the name...

bfd
07-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Larry states:

<This bothers Lemond, and he probably wishes he could have raced against Lance. He would have lost!>

I don't know, a 1984-86 Greg (pre-hunting accident) against a 1999-2001 Lance (after cancer) would have been one hell of a race.

Johny
07-30-2006, 11:30 PM

Larry
07-30-2006, 11:33 PM
The birth of a seniors racing circuit.....Lemond, Indurain, Delgado, Finon,
and Lance gives all a 30 minute time advantage in the mountains!

(But wait......isn't Lance training for a marathon now??!!)

Big Dan
07-30-2006, 11:41 PM
The birth of a seniors racing circuit.....Lemond, Indurain, Delgado, Finon,
and Lance gives all a 30 minute time advantage in the mountains!

(But wait......isn't Lance training for a marathon now??!!)

Larry, get a hold of yourself man. Big Mig actually took care of Lance big time.....Look it up.... :D

I like this pic, pure class.........

Kane
07-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Larry,
I don't mean this in an offensive way, but you're delusional. They all cheat until proven otherwise. Of course since they all cheat, frankly in my scary world it doesn't diminish Lance's victories. Cheating and cycling are synonymous terms. It's been going on since at least the fifties. Jacque Antequil (sp?) was quoted as saying something to the effect that, "it would be pretty boring if everyone was averaging 15 miles per hour."

A more recent rider of French origin may have said it best, "do you think that I rode 22,000 miles last year on pasta!!"

Millar won a world championship and he was found out to be cheating with at least EPO. All of his tests were negative!!

By the way Larry, Barry freaking Bonds may be the best baseball player who ever lived. Assume that everyone in baseball is cheating, because it's closest to the truth.
Cheers,

Kane

P.S.
There is no Santa Claus.

William
07-31-2006, 05:57 AM
P.S.
There is no Santa Claus.

G-D IT!!!! You're supposed to put a "SPOILER" on things like that you BASTARD!!~!

I've been sending letters to Santa asking for a new DA 10 grouppo and for him to give coal to all the dopers out there. Santa pounds his nails....at least I thought he did until now. Thanks an Effin lot!!! :crap:

William

;)

stevep
07-31-2006, 06:16 AM
william,
santa just dropped off a new da-10 kit at my house with your name on it.
i will send it to you when i finish using it.
surprising, the sleigh and everything... summer, too...curious

William
07-31-2006, 06:41 AM
william,
santa just dropped off a new da-10 kit at my house with your name on it.
i will send it to you when i finish using it.
surprising, the sleigh and everything... summer, too...curious

Really and for true???!!!

William ;)

Kevin
07-31-2006, 06:42 AM
Santa would respond but Serotta canceled his posting authority. :crap:

Kevin

stevep
07-31-2006, 06:48 AM
serotta andrew is a non believer... he snuffed santa and thats why hes riding a campy bike... santa stopped delivering campy stuff because he once had to install an ergo brain. took too long.
true story, totally true.

Fat Robert
07-31-2006, 07:20 AM
william

the easter bunny tested positive

for exogenous beta carotene

frauds

all of em

William
07-31-2006, 08:20 AM
william

the easter bunny tested positive

for exogenous beta carotene

frauds

all of em

But the Tooth fairy is still on the up & up...right.......right?

William ;)

Fat Robert
07-31-2006, 09:14 AM
But the Tooth fairy is still on the up & up...right.......right?

William ;)

that b*tch shoots kids up with hgh so they lose teeth more quickly

that's what i heard at a race anyway

Larry
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I do believe in spooks! I do, I do, I do, I do-o-o-o-o-o!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to see how Floyd's dilemma pans out.
Sure.....doping is rampant. .....anything to gain an advantage.
Floyd's dope was beer and Jack Daniel's, which was not real smart.
Also, Floyd's doctor knows Floyd's chemical make-up. So....if the doping is real, the doctor is a phoney and cheat , also. It just keeps moving down the line. I think I will go to the Microbrewery for lunch.

Cheers

BarryG
07-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Floyd's dope was beer and Jack Daniel's
Yeah, I believe in the tooth fairy as well. Floyd's masseuse did it (http://eurosport.com/athletics/zurich-golden-league/2006/sport_sto935248.shtml)

tuco
07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I believe in the tooth fairy as well. Floyd's masseuse did it (http://eurosport.com/athletics/zurich-golden-league/2006/sport_sto935248.shtml)

un-effing-believable. thanks for the laugh!

catulle
07-31-2006, 01:12 PM
William, Santa only deals with Campy anyway, so don't feel bad.

MartyE
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
I do believe in spooks! I do, I do, I do, I do-o-o-o-o-o!!!!!!!

So basically you're saying it was all a conspiracy perpetuated
by the

https://www.cia.gov/graphics/cianew3.jpg

Grant McLean
07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
http://data1.blog.de/blog/k/kalpeakatsastaja/img/i%20want%20to%20believe.jpg

It's like a case from the x-files!

g