PDA

View Full Version : OT: tech needs for Garmin, etc

TBLS
12-31-2016, 04:18 PM
I am currently using a newer power tap wheel with a joule computer with the powertap software, which requires linking to my laptop via USB to upload. Looking to buy a garmin or equivalent but want to know all I will need before jumping in.

I do not have a newer personal pc and I am losing access to the laptop I am currently using...is a work laptop and they are requiring us to remove all non-work related software. My personal technology is limited to a new iPad and few year old iPhone (5?) and ancient /10 year old iMac (can no longer process updates, including adding the powertap software)

Q's are:

If I buy a garmin or equivalent to use for ride data, powertap, etc. , can I use to upload rides via Bluetooth to my iPad or will I need additional resources to update software, etc.

If I do need a newer pc/mac. Next post will be looking for a reco.

All I will use it for is basic internet, annually for tax software, mail.

Thanks in advance.

kramnnim
12-31-2016, 04:23 PM
The current mid to high end Garmins can connect to your phone via Bluetooth and upload to Garmin Connect/Strava, etc.

RowanB
12-31-2016, 04:42 PM
I use a Garmin 510 with my power tap wheels, and almost exclusively upload ride data via Bluetooth to my iPhone. Early on it had issues with losing the pairing between the devices but it seems much more stable these days.

I literally finish a ride, stop the computer and with my phone in my pocket it uploads to Strava and training peaks with no further intervention.

R3awak3n
12-31-2016, 04:47 PM
what krammin said. You almost don't need a computer anymore to use a garmin, only thing is updating, some updates are too big and need to be connected to computer for (like updating the maps)

ceolwulf
12-31-2016, 04:53 PM
I wonder if that old Mac couldn't run Windows 10 in Boot Camp. If so it would do all you need.

djg21
12-31-2016, 04:53 PM
I am currently using a newer power tap wheel with a joule computer with the powertap software, which requires linking to my laptop via USB to upload. Looking to buy a garmin or equivalent but want to know all I will need before jumping in.

I do not have a newer personal pc and I am losing access to the laptop I am currently using...is a work laptop and they are requiring us to remove all non-work related software. My personal technology is limited to a new iPad and few year old iPhone (5?) and ancient /10 year old iMac (can no longer process updates, including adding the powertap software)

Q's are:

If I buy a garmin or equivalent to use for ride data, powertap, etc. , can I use to upload rides via Bluetooth to my iPad or will I need additional resources to update software, etc.

If I do need a newer pc/mac. Next post will be looking for a reco.

All I will use it for is basic internet, annually for tax software, mail.

Thanks in advance.

If you get a high-end garmin, like an Edge 820 or 1000, and I think 520, it will upload via Garmin Connect using Wifi or a Bluetooth connection to you phone. Garmin Connect syncs automatically with Strava, TrainingPeaks etc. the only reason you need a PC is to prepare and upload routes, for instance using RideWithGPS.com.

I like the Edge 1000 because the maps prove handy while riding in unfamiliar areas, and I like the larger screen and the ability to display more datafields when training/racing with power, and having the datafields easier to see.

thirdgenbird
12-31-2016, 04:58 PM
I wonder if that old Mac couldn't run Windows 10 in Boot Camp. If so it would do all you need.

I just installed win10 on an older MacBook this week. I think it's about 10 years old. Works great so far.