PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Winter Windproof Jersey - Experiences?

berserk87
12-30-2016, 09:35 AM
I am thinking about getting the Rapha Winter Windproof Jersey.

One thing that appeals to me is the fact that the windproof part is confined to the front panel and does not extend to the arms.

I will ride with my short-sleeved Gabba or Stolen Goat Orkaan jerseys down into the mid-30's if the wind is not too awful. It seems like my arms get too sweaty with insulated sleeves and then the get cold once the wind beats on them for a good while.

So riding with bare arms and staying dry is my thing. Plus I don't find that keeping my arms as warm as my knees or hands/feet is crucial to my ride.

That's why I thought that this Rapha piece my be the ticket. The arms are just regular polyester and merino wool, which should zap some of the chill below mid-30's temps, but not create the arm sauna that I otherwise experience.

Can anyone offer input on what this jersey feels like? I would wear it mid-30's and below, as a temp range. Thanks - Mike

velofinds
12-30-2016, 08:50 PM
I think it would be worth your while to experiment with this jersey. With the jersey and a baselayer, I find I'm good down to 32 deg; below that and I throw on a lightweight wind jacket which, if you like riding a bit cool, may or may not be overkill for you (I find that I do overheat with the jersey/jacket combo, but I haven't felt brave enough to try below-freezing weather in just the jersey).

Edit: wore it today in mid-20 deg weather with just a good baselayer. Perfect.

ohsnapitsed
12-31-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm a big fan and own 2 of them. Wore it today and was perfect with a short sleeve base layer in 34(ish) degree temps (bit less with windchill).

teleguy57
12-31-2016, 08:23 PM
Short sleeves and bare arms down into the 30s? Wow, you're a better man than me. I'm the kind of guy who likes LS jerseys into the 60s....

Not to go OT, but I would be interested in how you see the Gabba and Orkkan comparing to each other.

berserk87
12-31-2016, 08:28 PM
The Orkaan breathes a bit better and to me is more comfortable than the Gabba. The fabric is fleece lined and stretchy and feels nice.

I wear the Gabba in colder temps. I like them both. My Gabbas are brightly colored and my Orkaan is black. If the weather is cloudy and dim I prefer the Gabbas. If sunny, I usually go for the Orkaan.

I ended up buying the Rapha windproof jersey. I think I will like it.

Riding in short sleeves in cool weather is not as tough as it seems. The sleeves on a lot of jerseys and jackets and super thin anyway and really don't do much. If you ride briskly enough to get your HR into the 130's or 140's and above, you stay pretty warm.

bigbill
12-31-2016, 08:50 PM
I've got the previous version of this Garneau windshirt base layer. Been using it since 1993 or so. I've used it under short sleeves with arm warmers but mostly under long sleeve jerseys on 35-45 degree days.

https://garneau.com/ca/en/cycling/sf-2-plastron-top-c/color/white-019-127

berserk87
12-31-2016, 08:57 PM
I've got the previous version of this Garneau windshirt base layer. Been using it since 1993 or so. I've used it under short sleeves with arm warmers but mostly under long sleeve jerseys on 35-45 degree days.

https://garneau.com/ca/en/cycling/sf-2-plastron-top-c/color/white-019-127

I've got 2 Pearl Izumi base layers that are windproof - one short and one long sleeved. They both work fine. I use the short sleeve version the most and double it up under my Gabbas or Orkann.

Getting 24 years out of any piece of cycling kit is pretty amazing, by the way.

bigbill
12-31-2016, 09:32 PM
I've got 2 Pearl Izumi base layers that are windproof - one short and one long sleeved. They both work fine. I use the short sleeve version the most and double it up under my Gabbas or Orkann.

Getting 24 years out of any piece of cycling kit is pretty amazing, by the way.

I lived in Hawaii and Sardinia for a while, it has at least 5 years folded in a drawer.

teleguy57
01-01-2017, 03:21 PM
The Orkaan breathes a bit better and to me is more comfortable than the Gabba. The fabric is fleece lined and stretchy and feels nice.

I wear the Gabba in colder temps. I like them both. My Gabbas are brightly colored and my Orkaan is black. If the weather is cloudy and dim I prefer the Gabbas. If sunny, I usually go for the Orkaan.

Thanks. I may try an Orkaan.

In terms of base layers I can give a thumbs up to the Bontrager LS windfront B2 baselayer. It seems more duty nordic skiing than cycling, but it does have a place in my winter riding wardrobe.

uber
01-01-2017, 07:43 PM
I like the Rapha Winter Jersey. As mentioned, a short sleeve base layer and good to the mid 30's. I don't enjoy riding colder than that these days, but for the 20's, I used a long sleeve base layer, the winter jersey and the soft shell on top of it all.

spiderwj
01-08-2017, 11:50 PM
I like the idea of the wind proof front for days you would wear a vest all day. This eliminates the hassle of getting into pockets and cuts down on the flapping of a vest in the wind. I'd say do it. Try it. If you don't like it, send it back within the 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marciero
01-09-2017, 05:00 AM
I am thinking about getting the Rapha Winter Windproof Jersey.

One thing that appeals to me is the fact that the windproof part is confined to the front panel and does not extend to the arms.

I will ride with my short-sleeved Gabba or Stolen Goat Orkaan jerseys down into the mid-30's if the wind is not too awful. It seems like my arms get too sweaty with insulated sleeves and then the get cold once the wind beats on them for a good while.

So riding with bare arms and staying dry is my thing. Plus I don't find that keeping my arms as warm as my knees or hands/feet is crucial to my ride.

That's why I thought that this Rapha piece my be the ticket. The arms are just regular polyester and merino wool, which should zap some of the chill below mid-30's temps, but not create the arm sauna that I otherwise experience.

Can anyone offer input on what this jersey feels like? I would wear it mid-30's and below, as a temp range. Thanks - Mike

The Rapha has been perfect for me in this sense. With a thin Defeet base layer, either ls or ss depending on temp, I am good into the low 30s. Sometimes I may add an additional thin ss layer. The weave and thickness on the arms is tight enough that you dont get that biting wind. The side zipper vents are great also-they are huge- and really extend the range. I never wear anything over this piece. If colder than 30 I am wearing a bona-fide jacket.

chiasticon
01-09-2017, 06:49 AM
personally I can't bring myself to buy this jersey just because of the stupid huge Rapha logo on the back. seems like a high school letterman's jacket or something. maybe it's just me...?

anyway, I owned a previous gen of it and overall it was good. solid down to the mid 30's or so. I like the front zips and the extra back cargo pocket, really makes it more versatile. what I hated, however, was the back pocket layout. for one, having two pockets is just more awkward than three. and for two, they're very high. very difficult to get items in and out of. I vastly prefer the pro team training jacket for the same temperatures. it fits and behaves just like a jersey. unfortunately though, it's not on sale at the moment.

velofinds
01-09-2017, 10:44 AM
personally I can't bring myself to buy this jersey just because of the stupid huge Rapha logo on the back. seems like a high school letterman's jacket or something. maybe it's just me...?

Not just you -- you couldn't pay me to wear that. Not sure what they were thinking on that one.

I have an older version of this and love it.

berserk87
01-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Not just you -- you couldn't pay me to wear that. Not sure what they were thinking on that one.

I have an older version of this and love it.

You guys would probably hate racing for a sponsored team. My team jerseys have been loaded with logos and stuff.

I didn't even know there was a logo on the Rapha jersey until you folks mentioned it. I'm more about the function of this piece. The logo seems understated to me. Different strokes...

I ended up ordering this. It should arrive today. I'll give some feedback once I have had a chance to try it out.

chiasticon
01-09-2017, 01:54 PM
You guys would probably hate racing for a sponsored team. My team jerseys have been loaded with logos and stuff.nah, I'm OK with my team kit being loaded with logos. par for the course. but when I pay hundreds for a jersey and it's just a big billboard for the manufacturer, I don't like that so much. and mainly, it's because the biggest thing I've always liked about Rapha is that their styling and logo-ing is so low-key. I mean I've got bib shorts of theirs that the logo is black on black. this reminds me of those t-shirts guys would wear in high school that just said "GAP" in huge letters, or "HILFIGER" or "ABERCROMBIE" or whatever... just not my style.

berserk87
01-09-2017, 04:59 PM
nah, I'm OK with my team kit being loaded with logos. par for the course. but when I pay hundreds for a jersey and it's just a big billboard for the manufacturer, I don't like that so much. and mainly, it's because the biggest thing I've always liked about Rapha is that their styling and logo-ing is so low-key. I mean I've got bib shorts of theirs that the logo is black on black. this reminds me of those t-shirts guys would wear in high school that just said "GAP" in huge letters, or "HILFIGER" or "ABERCROMBIE" or whatever... just not my style.

Well, if it's a cost thing, I got the Rapha jersey on sale with a coupon code to boot. I didn't pay much more than I do for some of my team race jerseys. So by that logic, the logo is fine. I won't pay retail for Rapha. I like it, but I wait and deal hunt, or else I can't justify the cost.