PDA

View Full Version : Uhhhh, help? Rack and back up warning

flydhest
12-29-2016, 09:37 PM
So, we got a Volvo XC90 to replace our turbo diesel Jetta Sportwagen (sorry, should have a link to other threads).

Got a Kuat hitch rack (sorry, should have a link to other threads). So much to love ....but when attached, putting the car in reverse sets off the sensor. It thinks I am going to back into something because there is something RIGHT THERE BEHIND THE CAR!!!!!!!!

Surely, I am not the first to experience this.

A little help?

bikinchris
12-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Isn't there an over ride switch that turns off the sound?

Tickdoc
12-29-2016, 09:57 PM
So, we got a Volvo XC90 to replace our turbo diesel Jetta Sportwagen (sorry, should have a link to other threads).

Got a Kuat hitch rack (sorry, should have a link to other threads). So much to love ....but when attached, putting the car in reverse sets off the sensor. It thinks I am going to back into something because there is something RIGHT THERE BEHIND THE CAR!!!!!!!!

Surely, I am not the first to experience this.

A little help?

Haven't put a hitch on our xc90 yet, but you should be able to disable sensors from the touch screen.

Alternative may be able to use a hitch drop to move out of way of sensors some.

What kind of hitch do you have? Dealer installed or aftermarket?

cachagua
12-29-2016, 11:54 PM
Doubtless the sensor back there has a wire?

Whatever you use for brake and gear cables should do the job.

flydhest
12-30-2016, 06:32 AM
Dealer installed hitch. Will have to check the touch screen. I can see myself disabling the alert and then forgetting to turn it back on and hooting something. It is quite helpful in close quarters--I live in the middle of D.C. And maneuver in and out of an alley each time I drive.

GScot
12-30-2016, 06:39 AM
On trucks, at least on an F150 I've driven, once you plug the trailer harness into the chassis it disables the alarm. Check with Volvo or your favorite source on the interwebs to find out if there is a blank you can plug in. Attach it to the rack and then you'll automatically disconnect every time.

This assumes the dealer install included wiring for a trailer harness.

choke
12-30-2016, 06:44 AM
You can turn it off but it comes back on automatically when the car is restarted.

http://support.volvocars.com/en-CA/cars/Pages/owners-manual.aspx?mc=v526&my=2016&sw=15w46&article=78db00afda7b8ebfc0a801512a637c00

ltwtsculler91
12-30-2016, 08:09 AM
You can turn it off but it comes back on automatically when the car is restarted.

http://support.volvocars.com/en-CA/cars/Pages/owners-manual.aspx?mc=v526&my=2016&sw=15w46&article=78db00afda7b8ebfc0a801512a637c00

This. I don't have the park sensors on my S60, but my in my parent's V60CC there is a button on the dash to turn them off. Downside is that they come back on each time. I'd imagine you could dig through the menus and default them to off

soulspinner
12-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Fly I work at a Volvo dealer. Just talked to head tech. Shut off the P as in Parking sensor on the middle console when you have the hitch rack on. You have to do it everytime you restart the car. The other thing you can do is download at the dealer which can shut it off permanently. Kind of a pain in the hitchrack...and on an XC 90 you cannot permanently disable the sensor without a download.

bikinchris
12-30-2016, 08:37 AM
It you would only want to disable it when the rack is mounted.
My Ford has a button you just push and the disable light comes on. And yes, when you plug in a trailer harness, it is defeated automatically. Maybe a small harness with a brake light and turn signals for the rack?

flydhest
12-30-2016, 10:07 PM
Thx, all. Found the button to hit on the touch screen. Works, but it resets itself so it is fiddly. Volvo's touch screen is NOT state of the art.

austex
12-31-2016, 03:31 PM
I'd consider it a FEATURE, reminder that there IS something back there so don't back it into anything. Now if roof racks could have an audible reminder for overhangs...