PDA

View Full Version : SF mechanics that know old Italian bikes

joosttx
12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Who are the go to mechanics/bikeshops in the Bay area (east, SF, or Marin) that really know how to wrench on 1980-ish Italian race bikes.

I have a bike that needs some wrenching by someone who knows old beautiful bikes. Thanks

bfd
12-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Who are the go to mechanics/bikeshops in the Bay area (east, SF, or Marin) that really know how to wrench on 1980-ish Italian race bikes.

I have a bike that needs some wrenching by someone who knows old beautiful bikes. Thanks

In Sausalito, check out A Bicycke Odyssey:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bike_Shops/A_Bicycle_Odyssey.htm

In SF, give American Cyclery or DD Cycles a call.

In the east bay, Stones in Alameda, Montano Velo in Oakland or Jitensha in Berkeley.

Good Luck!

Duende
12-29-2016, 10:18 PM
What's the issue? I'm in sf. Wrenched on 80's campy bikes for years at bikeshops. Maybe could help.

donevwil
12-29-2016, 11:26 PM
I'd certainly trust Mike at Black Mountain Cycles. Been around quite a while and has some nice old rigs of his own.

homagesilkhope
12-30-2016, 01:31 AM
In Sausalito, check out A Bicycke Odyssey:

Tony Tom's world: http://www.bicycleodyssey.com/community

Click on the Video link.

weisan
12-30-2016, 05:16 AM
Tony Tom's world: http://www.bicycleodyssey.com/community

Click on the Video link.

I watched the videos, a lot of history and tradition, on top of experience. Would love to visit if I ever get to SF again.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2016, 05:48 AM

Tony Tom, Bicycle Odyssey in Saulsalito.

joosttx
12-30-2016, 09:40 AM

Great Bike Odyssey is 10 minutes done the road from me. Cool shop too. Thank you!

Cicli
12-30-2016, 09:49 AM
What makes it different than any other bike? Just find a good mechanic is all.
Does the mechanic have to be Italian as well?

bobswire
12-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Me but I'm more than 10 minutes from you or any competent wrench. No mystery working on any bike (unless they Geek them with electronics).

FlashUNC
12-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Bring it on over and we'll drink beer on the patio as we work on it.

ColonelJLloyd
12-30-2016, 10:06 AM

I wonder how many 25 year old mechanics at bike shops can properly overhaul and adjust a loose ball threaded headset?

The OP bought a rare bike and wants a competent mechanic with the right tools. I don't blame him.

Cicli
12-30-2016, 10:09 AM
I wonder how many 25 year old mechanics at bike shops can properly overhaul and adjust a loose ball threaded headset?

The OP bought a rare bike and wants a competent mechanic with the right tools. I don't blame him.

Me either. Thats why I stated good mechanic. Not some bewb at the big P store. Good mechanics are hard to come by. I realize that.

jtakeda
12-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Montano Velo. Jason even has a bunch of old campy.

But what's the issue. I'm sure I know.

Duende
12-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Now that's a proper offer!

joosttx
12-30-2016, 11:13 AM

This.

No offense but this is the answer.

joosttx
12-30-2016, 11:15 AM

Not what you did to Lionel's bike at R2C!! :beer:

FlashUNC
12-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Not what you did to Lionel's bike at R2C!! :beer:

I didn't do anything! That dork wouldn't let me do anything to fix his obvious problem. Talk about not trusting the team mechanic...

oldpotatoe
12-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Does the mechanic have to be Italian as well?

When I was running a service department, I had an oral test. A lot of my questions were about how to NOT goon up a frame or component. If they have no idea how to say, prep a frame, and overhaul and adjust places with ball bearings, with know how to install cranks, etc. same with this gen shimano stuff.

I've seen the work of 'good mechanics' in the republic, 'good' is way generous.

CMiller
12-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Chris at Robinson Wheel Works in San Leandro is a fantastic mechanic and has a ton of good stories.

Ralph
12-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Pretty simple....compared to modern bikes. Loose ball head sets, BB's, etc....simple. Just Italian threaded BB be aware of. And that's assuming all "Italian" race bikes had Italian threaded BB's.

joosttx
12-30-2016, 02:14 PM
I didn't do anything! That dork wouldn't let me do anything to fix his obvious problem. Talk about not trusting the team mechanic...

I'm kidding . You opened yourself up for that zinger

toytech
12-30-2016, 02:31 PM
I will second Tony Tom at Odyssey and Chris Robinson at Robinson. Chris is my go to wheel builder is I want something perfect. Chris has tdf wheel building experience.

Duende
12-30-2016, 03:24 PM
When I was running a service department, I had an oral test. A lot of my questions were about how to goon up a frame or component. If they have no idea how to say, prep a frame, and overhaul and adjust places with ball bearings, with know how to install cranks, etc. same with this gen shimano stuff.

I've seen the work of 'good mechanics' in the republic, 'good' is way generous.

+1 I've heard "good" be used to often when referencing mechanics at bike shops.

I've lived in the Bay Area for quite sometime now.. And have taken my bikes to a few store mechanics over the years because I don't have all the tools. (I used to wrench at pedal revolution or freewheel using their shop/tool rental service but that's no more.)

Anyways...

The only mechanic I can say that stood out as "really good" in SF, is the head mechanic at Freewheel (wish I could remember his name, but has worked for Carlos for some time now).

Everywhere else was just mediocre. Not bad.. but none that I would call really skilled in my book. But that's only based on the stores I've been to of course.

Besides that... Had some good wheels built at American Cyclery (great shop!). That guy in the basement knows what he's doing.

Also had some quick adjustments done my the mechanic at Montano Bikes that makes me believe they're good to. (but that's in Oakland).

Have heard very good things about Odyssey, but haven't had work done there yet.

FlashUNC
12-30-2016, 03:32 PM
Don't trust Michael at Above Category? They did nice work with my DS. Chad certainly geeked out about it.

bikingshearer
12-30-2016, 03:45 PM
No disagreements with any of the recommendations so far. Just posting to add Steve Howard, the owner of Livermore Cyclery. He's at the Livermore shop most days, but you'll find him at the Alamo store on Sundays. Good guy, 40+ years of experience, has a big stash of old parts (at least at the Livermore store) and the right tools to do the job. He knows and likes the old stuff.

Duende
12-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Don't trust Michael at Above Category? They did nice work with my DS. Chad certainly geeked out about it.

Was this aimed at me? Sorry can't tell if it was or not. AC built out my Mosaic, and the attention to detail was top notch (bar position, cabling etc..), but as it hadn't been broken in yet... and I haven't taken it in for service yet.. I didn't think I could justifiably give an opinion.

FWIW, I don't mean to come off harsh or like I'm putting anyone down. Just trying to give proper cred where it's due imo.

joosttx
12-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Was this aimed at me? Sorry can't tell if it was or not. AC built out my Mosaic, and the attention to detail was top notch (bar position, cabling etc..), but as it hadn't been broken in yet... and I haven't taken it in for service yet.. I didn't think I could justifiably give an opinion.

FWIW, I don't mean to come off harsh or like I'm putting anyone down. Just trying to give proper cred where it's due imo.

No I am sure it was not. I take my bikes to AC and Flash knows that. That was why he asked. BTW your bike will feel brand new when you get it serviced at AC

CiclistiCliff
12-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Any time a customer asks 'Do you know Campy' it makes me not want to help him/her. For christ's sake, it's a cable actuated system that requires non Shimano tools, at times. Any good mechanic can service it. Any trust worthy mechanic will inform you if they can't if they don't have the tools.

CiclistiCliff
12-30-2016, 11:18 PM
No disagreements with any of the recommendations so far. Just posting to add Steve Howard, the owner of Livermore Cyclery. He's at the Livermore shop most days, but you'll find him at the Alamo store on Sundays. Good guy, 40+ years of experience, has a big stash of old parts (at least at the Livermore store) and the right tools to do the job. He knows and likes the old stuff.

The half ass repairs I've had to fix after he 'worked his magic' is absurd. Experience does not mean attention to detail. People do get burnt out

CiclistiCliff
12-30-2016, 11:24 PM

Heh. one of his mechanics relaced a wheel 2x rather than 3x for a customer that frequents my shop. Broke a spoke mid ride and stopped by to say hi. Let's say she wasn't pleased to see the nipples threading the spokes and and 1/4" of spokes sticking out the nipples.